shape
carat
color
clarity

Star Sapphire?

Jomana

Rough_Rock
Hi guys! I've got the gem bug lol :love:

I posted yesterday about a pretty little alexandrite that I recently purchased, and while I was reading through some random posts and browsing ebay, I came across some info on star sapphires. I admittedly know nothing about them, but have given myself a quick crash course. I have a ring that I bought a year or two ago for only $50-60. It was described as having a "lindy-like" center stone and "white accent stones". Received it, and it was as described and I like the way it looks. I like opulescence and color play in stones, and I like the weird black/brown/olive/gold color. I didn't bring it to a jeweler because I didn't see a point. Whatever it is, I was certain it was fake, and I don't think the accent stones are diamonds.

Fast forward to yesterday, and I saw what was claimed to be a natural star sapphire on ebay. I immediately thought fake because the sapphire has the same weird looking coating on the bottom (set in a ring) that mine has. At first I thought mine was a doublet of sorts, but on closer inspection, it's not completely straight - more like it was dipped in something. So I googled "does star sapphire have a backing" and I found this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ique-star-sapphire-jewelry-what-is-it.221651/

That is what the back of mine looks like. When it's held up to the light, you can still see through the stone. I'd never looked for or seen a star on mine, but I went outside with it today to check, and it has a pretty little gold-ish star that dances all over. The striations inside the stone are straight (not curved), like a chevron pattern.

Is it possible that this is a natural star and I just assumed it was something else? I don't really care too much, since I bought it with the assumption that it was likely synthetic - I'm really just curious. I tried my best with the photos :roll
Thanks everyone!
IMG_4175.JPG IMG_4197.JPG IMG_4199.JPG IMG_4198.JPG

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Natural, you can see the crystal growth structure.
Nice find, enjoy!

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
Looks natural to me. I don't think they really bother to fake the black ones because you can buy the natural ones pretty cheaply, it's usually the blue and red (ruby) that are made synthetic. Nice little stone though!

Jomana

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for your input. What a nice little surprise :)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely natural.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a black star sapphire. Very pretty. Nice find! Enjoy.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes natural! Lovely! Lucky you!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So far ive never seen a black star sapphire with a golden star that isnt natural!
Also im a huge fan of this outcast shade for star sapphires! Most dont like dark gemstones but i think the gold and black en cabochon are just so dazzling. Enjoy (:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results