shape
carat
color
clarity

Staples & Vellum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hey all :) I just ran over to Staples to see if they sold paper individually so I could do some printing tests for my invitations (on 67 or 80 lb stock) but they don''t sell paper in that manner. However, I walked out of there with some good ideas :)

Some FYI:

First, they now carry the Gartner series invite kits that are usually found at Micheals and JoAnnes. This is good for me because Staples is 30 mins closer to me than the nearest M or JA store.

Second, it seems that Gartner has paired up with Laura Ashley and made some nicer diy invite kits for reasonable prices (about $45 for 50). Too bad they didn''t have my wedding colors or I would definitely go with the LA invites.

Okay and here are my two questions:

1) How the heck is "vellum" pronounced? vell-YUME? vell-UME? VELL-um? VELL-yume? lol. I''ve never heard it spoken before
31.gif

2) Does it look as pretty if you print on a pretty paper and add vellum (unprinted) overlay as it does when it is the vellum that is printed on and layed over a decorative (unprinted) paper? I think I''ve seen it both ways but now that I''m searching, of course I can only find examples of the latter rather than the former.

Thanks!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heart vellum. If you do a search on my invites I printed our names and wedding date and used it as an over-lay on both our invites and programs. It comes in a varity of colors, weights, and patterns. We used a light silver. I got ours through a paper dealer so I am not sure what "regular" stores have the best selection. I would actually look online.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
dictionary.com says it''s pronounced vel-uhm
lol!
Still not sure if that''s vel-oom or vel-ughm

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
it''s "um" like "yum" without the "y"

sarie_j

Shiny_Rock
When I bought our invitation kits it was waaaaay cheaper to go directly through the gartner website -- http://shop.gartnerstudios.com/home/GSI/index.aspx (and right now they are having a 15% off sale) and at www.uprint.com they have templates and some really neat ideas, also all of the ideas on michael''s website use the gartner invite kits. Also got an extra pack to make up for my trial printing - wound up printing 20 in different fonts on actual cards, don''t know what I was thinking - on ebay. Just do a search for gartner and they have tons of new in the box invite kits, I got a box of 50 full sets (invites, response cards, and evelopes for both) for 5.99 plus shipping.

Vellum is beautiful, but if you are planning on printing on it you need to have a laser printer as opposed to inkjet, the inkjet will just smear and not dry well if at all --

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I love vellum, too. It makes a do-it-yourself program or invitation rock! We got ours at Hobby Lobby; it was the cheapest price and they had the most variety that we could find. *Some are more foggy, some are more clear. They even have some with ridges and other imprints in the paper.* They also have a variety of brads to attach the vellum to the program, if you''re looking for something other than ribbon. We used little purple flowers.
9.gif

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so vellum can be challenging to work with if you have an inkjet? I''ll keep that in mind.

Thank you, everyone! Sounds like I asked the right group :)

I bought 2 pieces of a pretty sage card (or cover) stock (can''t remember) and a really nice decorative vellum overlay. The vellum is not too frosty so it really softens the color of the paper which I love. Too frosty and me thinks it''s not serving it''s purpose any longer. We''ll see how that turns out with the inkjet and all.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
So happy, I like the Anna Griffin series found at Michael''s and am thinking of this diy invite. It''s very simple and I like the green MUCH better in person.
Given that I don''t plan to add anything to them (but the words!), I think the diy will be fairly simple.
Good luck!

invitationsgreen1.jpg

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2007 8:42:20 PM
Author: dixie94
So happy, I like the Anna Griffin series found at Michael''s and am thinking of this diy invite. It''s very simple and I like the green MUCH better in person.
Given that I don''t plan to add anything to them (but the words!), I think the diy will be fairly simple.
Good luck!
Dixie~ That will surely be lovely :) I LOVE green :)

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks So Happy! Have you figured out what you are doing yet, DIY or ordering from somewhere? I just can''t pass up the $50 deal at Michael''s for invites and response cards and I just have to print! Who knows if it''ll be that easy but it''s worth a try.

And don''t feel bad, the knot says I should be ordering my invitations now too. Um, I''m not worrying about that at all right now! I have bm dresses and honeymoons planned for March so maybe I''ll start figuring out invites in April. But I do think that doing the diy gives a little more flexibility since I''m not ordering from anywhere.

Good luck!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dixie~

I''m really happy to have found these: Cherry Blossom and after having seen them with our wording and names and such, it will be so hard to think of anything else. We both really really love these and it only comes to $190 for 75 for the whole set. Invitationprofessionals.com is having a 35% off sale on Carlson Invites so otherwise these would be out of the question at $300 for the same!

However, I won''t lie......when you mentioned your green bordered ones upthread, I did go give Michaels another look-see
31.gif
It drives my FI NUTSO when I do this back and forth thing lol. (heck, i drive myself nutso too).

sarie_j

Shiny_Rock
Just abother thought about invites since you like the cherry blossoms - http://www.uniquityinvitations.com/invitations.htm has a beautiful template with cherry blossoms if you''re still even considering the diy thing -

Sorry about all the posts, choosing invitations has been the one part of the process that almost made me lose my mind - I went back and forth so many times and looked at soooooooooooooo many options that I really felt my sanity slipping away
26.gif

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 8:30:23 AM
Author: sarie_j
Just abother thought about invites since you like the cherry blossoms - http://www.uniquityinvitations.com/invitations.htm has a beautiful template with cherry blossoms if you''re still even considering the diy thing -

Sorry about all the posts, choosing invitations has been the one part of the process that almost made me lose my mind - I went back and forth so many times and looked at soooooooooooooo many options that I really felt my sanity slipping away
26.gif
Awww, Sarie
39.gif
! That''s no good! Are you DIY-ing? I understand though.....that''s how I felt about the bridesmaid dress part.

sarie_j

Shiny_Rock
LOL, yeah I finally decided to diy, although it''s funny because I started it to try and save money but by the time I bought all the components for my *perfect* invitations I could probably have bought them from a stationery company for not much more --

My FI was ready to kill me by the time I chose, and he finally gave me a deadline that if I didn''t make a choice he was going to make it for me whether I was happy or not -- sounds harsh I know, but was what I needed - it seemed like everyday I found something that I liked more and more and more --

Let''s just say that I''m glad it''s over and that I love love love my invites that I finally decided on
30.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad you found invitations that you like! I like the ones you picked a lot! I used cherry blossoms as my theme on my knot save the date''s and website.. they are so pretty! I wish I could have them as my flower.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Sarie~ I wasn''t going to mention the little arguments FI and I had over the darn things until you mentioned it................but we found ourselves just being crabby in general over all of it. It really got ridiculous when one night we argued in the car for an hour (!) over how I said DIY would be cheaper but we had just walked out of JoAnnes and spent (oh the horror) $38 on mock invites, embosser, hole punch, ribbon, vellum, and some silver cording
9.gif
9.gif

I realized that he was right, though.......in our case doing DIY inivites the way we wanted them to look would require buying all these "basics" first plus the paper and vellum and ribbon too. If $40 only got us two very nice mock ups, then DIYing would not be saving us much money lol. I wish I hadn''t fallen in love with the more embellished invites or I would have kept it simple and then it really would''ve been cheap cheap cheap.

This led us to relinquishing our bit of possibly budget saving and just "buying the darn things"!! And now that I''ve found 40% off on my Cherry Blossoms, it''s going to come to $150 for 75!!!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 10:07:37 PM
Author: dixie94
I''m glad you found invitations that you like! I like the ones you picked a lot! I used cherry blossoms as my theme on my knot save the date''s and website.. they are so pretty! I wish I could have them as my flower.
I really am enamored with the pretty flowers :) Makes me want to incorporate them into the rest of our wedding but we''ll see. I love the invites as they look but if the cherry blossoms on the left side are tactile I will just be through the roof happy
36.gif
. They do look that way, don''t they?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results