shape
carat
color
clarity

Stainless Steel Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marqoid

Rough_Rock
I recently proposed to my girlfriend; she said yes. Now, I'm looking for a ring for myself. I like diamonds very much and would like the biggest and best that I can get. However, Iam a student and have a very limited budget. I like tension settings, but theyare fairly expensive. Ideally I would get a Gelin & Abaci setting, but there is no way I could afford that. I have looked at titanium, and that could be a good option, but I found a setting that I liked on www.revorings.com; item 6111 to be specific. They work in stainless steel and the setting is very inexpensive. I keep on thinking that the cheaper the more money I save on the setting means a better diamond to put in it. Anyhow, how does stainless end up looking? Will it scratch much? Is it reasonable to set a diamond in steel? Any thoughts on their settings or on stainless steel would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I'm a little nervous to have a stone set in a tension setting for fear of losing the stone. I have read several stories of lost stones and I don't want that to be me. I plan on insuring my ring completely. Should I worry that much? Are tension setting really as safe as the retailers claim? Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone; I'm new to this but now I am hooked on diamonds and I love this site. I consulted pricescope when buying my fiance's diamond and ended up with an awesome deal and an amazing diamond.

Jewel of NY

Rough_Rock
consider titanium. it is not expensive, wears well, and an added bonus is that it is a good metal for allergy sufferers who may not be abel to use other metals. it is super light in weight,yet durable. I may consider having one as an extra band, later on when I can afford extras.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For your own health - please avoid Stainless Steel. A percentage of the population developes an allergic sensitivity - and later reaction to the nickle in the Stainless Steel. This jewelry was very popular in Europe several decades ago. The nickle sensitivity issue has become so large that white gold alloys had to be reformulated to remove nickle (the original alloys had nickle, now nickle free white gold is now available, and I understand that it is not even legal to use a nickle based white gold in many European countries).

It might not affect you, but why take the chance when there are many other options out there.

Perry

marqoid

Rough_Rock
They say on their site that only 2% of the population is sensitive to nickel. Is that really enough to be concerned about?
Even if that is the case does anyone have input regarding the safety of tension setting?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a pretty nasty reaction to nickel. My piercing jewelery was custom made for me to eliminate any sensitivity issues.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results