shape
carat
color
clarity

SS Violetish-Blue Sapphires

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Now to round out the color pallet... how about a bit of blue?

arrowbluedaylight.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s stunning! Any specs?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is some serious Blue color saturation. Fantastic, where did you get it from?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Wow the colour is so beautiful.
30.gif

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! The stone weighs in at 1.16 cts. Unfortunately I do not have jeweler''s calipers to measure perfectly but it seems to be right about 7 mm in diameter using my trust ruler. First time I even saw arrows in a non-diamond gem!

Date: 6/13/2009 10:22:31 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
It''s stunning! Any specs?

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Hi D&T,

Thanks for the compliment :) I picked up this stone from a trade show at the Javits Convention center about 4 yrs ago. The vendor who sold it to me is called Parade Design not sure if they sell directly to the public but they had a great selection of really well cut stones... I couldnt resist getting myself a b-day present.

Date: 6/13/2009 10:25:18 PM
Author: D&T
That is some serious Blue color saturation. Fantastic, where did you get it from?

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
My favorite shade of blue is med-light with some violet thrown in there to give it something special. I don''t often see that color so when I do I try to snap it up. Thankfully this color position is not the favored color by the market and can be had for less than royal or "cornflower" shades and tones
31.gif

Date: 6/13/2009 10:39:11 PM
Author: Lovinggems
Wow the colour is so beautiful.
30.gif

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Oh I forgot to mention that the setting was custom made for me by MichaelE.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
You have QUITE a collection of stones!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SS,
Nice stone, and very well cut. However, I suspect the stone is probably around 6mm since it''s 1.1 carats. It doesn''t appear to have a large table, and since sapphires are denser than diamonds, and a one carat diamond is around 6mm, that''s what I''m figuring.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Here is a better "arrow" shot, I love how its bright from edge to edge
12.gif

arrowDSCF1269.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
I know that the specific gravity of corundum is significantly higher than diamond. However I do have an ideal cut reference CZ at 6.5mm (1 ct equivalent) and this is a bit bigger than that, though admittedly the accuracy of a measurment without calipers is not that high :)

Date: 6/13/2009 10:51:37 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
SS,
Nice stone, and very well cut. However, I suspect the stone is probably around 6mm since it''s 1.1 carats. It doesn''t appear to have a large table, and since sapphires are denser than diamonds, and a one carat diamond is around 6mm, that''s what I''m figuring.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Marcyc and Cind11. I tried to get a representative from each color in the rainbow but boy is that one expensive goal eheheh

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2009 10:59:33 PM
Author: sleepyspinel
I know that the specific gravity of corundum is significantly higher than diamond. However I do have an ideal cut reference CZ at 6.5mm (1 ct equivalent) and this is a bit bigger than that, though admittedly the accuracy of a measurment without calipers is not that high :)

Date: 6/13/2009 10:51:37 PM
SS,
Admittedly, I could be wrong on the size of a one carat diamond for mm sizes.
emembarrassed.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the stone from Michael as well?

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
TL,

Don''t you just love those small tables?!? I am not quite sure how but despite a small table the crown isnt nearly as thick as that cool designer cut you posted in another thread... I sure wish it was
9.gif
I hope you have something minty to show us soon
12.gif

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
No I picked the stone up in person at a gemshow from a company called Parade Designs... I think they are based in Los Angeles. I posted a link to their website if you are interested
34.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2009 11:05:11 PM
TL,

Don''t you just love those small tables?!? I am not quite sure how but despite a small table the crown isnt nearly as thick as that cool designer cut you posted in another thread... I sure wish it was
9.gif
I hope you have something minty to show us soon
12.gif
Yes, I love small tables on stones. I just loved that designer cut, it was amazing!! As for the something minty, it should be arriving next week, and I hope I don''t have to return that one either. I''ve returned so much in recent days!! I''m getting something lilac as well.
11.gif

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
I definitely believe that if it had a bellied step cut pavillion it would be lucky to get 5.5 mm in diameter! I have another much heavier stone with such a cut and it ought to face up much larger than it does however like CMW mentioned in a recent thread, while the face up is not as big as one might see when cutting the pavillion close to the critical angle... a fat bellied "native" cut stone is able to really hold its own by reducing the dreaded tilt window and I am in agreement that that is a small price to pay in order to get a stone that sparkles from a much wider range of viewing angles
10.gif

Date: 6/13/2009 11:01:44 PM

Admittedly, I could be wrong on the size of a one carat diamond for mm sizes.
emembarrassed.gif

At some point I''ll post the other stone and it will be a neat comparison of similar color material, both sapphire, both with great light return... with the main difference being cut precision type.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2009 11:01:41 PM
Thanks Marcyc and Cind11. I tried to get a representative from each color in the rainbow but boy is that one expensive goal eheheh
Good luck on "reaching" your rainbow. I at one time had the delusioin I wanted a ring with every type of faceted gemstone. A girl''s got to have dreams, huh?
9.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, gorgeous stone and color and I love Parade Designs. They are one of my favorite designers.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Well I am pretty close I think... pink/red spinels, mint green garnets, orange garnets, violetish blue sapphire, have a white and yellow diamond... I think my pocketbook truly hates me now!
32.gif

Date: 6/13/2009 11:14:46 PM
Author: marcyc
Good luck on ''reaching'' your rainbow. I at one time had the delusioin I wanted a ring with every type of faceted gemstone. A girl''s got to have dreams, huh?
9.gif

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Hi Catmom,

Always a pleasure to see your rings, esp your cc blue sapphire... I really have admired that stone for quite some time :) Thanks for looking!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Never get tired of seeing your stones, sleepy. The color on that sapphire is wonderful!

I''d be impressed if that baby is 7 mm! My sapphire is almost 2 ct and is about 7 mm.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
I really love the color of your sapphire as well. I remember looking up the thread just to see more pics of it! Thanks for looking :)

Date: 6/14/2009 7:57:53 AM
Author: icekid
Never get tired of seeing your stones, sleepy. The color on that sapphire is wonderful!

I''d be impressed if that baby is 7 mm! My sapphire is almost 2 ct and is about 7 mm.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
That is one beautiful sapphire, I love the arrows in it, that was my first thought when I saw it.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
OOOOOH
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SS,
Very pretty blue colour and the cutting is very well done as well. A good purchase.
36.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely lovely!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results