shape
carat
color
clarity

Square emerald cut vs. asscher

WallyWatkins

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if there was any difference between a square emerald cut and an asscher aside from the fact that asscher is a branded name. Is one a higher quality than the other? I'm looking at purchasing a 1.5-1.6 square emerald cut, so just wanted to be informed! Also, would anyone be able to direct me to websites or reading material that can specify what to look for when choosing a square emerald cut? Thanks so much for any help!!

RLG

Shiny_Rock
Its been awhile since I looked over this but as I recall the square emerald is what is put on grading reports as asscher is a branded cut. Although they don’t have many in stock right now, I recommend Goodoldgold for asschers they really do a fantastic job and have a ton of information on their site. I had a good experience with them. I'm sure someone with more experience can speak further as to the different terminology.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WallyWatkins|1298331065|2856855 said:
I was wondering if there was any difference between a square emerald cut and an asscher aside from the fact that asscher is a branded name.

That's the difference. GIA calls Assher's square emerald cuts and ANYTHING produced by the Royal Asscher company could rightly be called an asscher no matter what it is. The correct 'generic' terms are square emerald cut, square step cut, modified square step cut, or cut-cornered square step cut. It has nothing to do with quality or lack thereof.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscher is the family name of the developers of the cut, around 100 years ago.
The descendants still own the company and today's "official" Asscher is named the Royal Asscher.
I'm sure the family would love it if everyone else stopped using the term Asscher or mailed them some checks.

Good bad right or wrong, Asscher has become the term commonly used for emeral cuts that have near the same length and width (square cut).

GIA avoids using terms that might be brand names to they do not use the term asscher.
I bought two asschers from GOG (in the pics below) and love them, both the diamonds and the company.

I agree that you should contact GOG, www.goodoldgold.com for asschers.

They also carry the awesome Octavia Asscher, the second pic.
It is an absolute fireball of light performance.

Picking a well cut Assher is difficult.
Picking a well cut Octavia is easy since very one meets the brand's cut requirements.

Picture 5.png

Picture 6.png

WallyWatkins

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much to everyone for the information and the pictures! Got a lot of great info to work off of now!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results