shape
carat
color
clarity

Sprinkle necklace

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Since I'm still struggling to make a final decision on my grey spinel ring setting I've decided to think about a new project (makes lots of sense, right ;)2) -- a sprinkle or diamonds by the yard style necklace. I want to stay in the pink/purple/grey family and that's about all I've decided. The stones will be bezel-ed (open to milgrain).

For the project I've collected (but don't necessarily have to use):
  • two bright pink Barry Bridgestock tourmalines courtesy of @Gemobsessed (7.2 mm and 5mm)
  • a purple pear shaped garnet that I bought on a whim that is about 7mm by 5mm.
  • a pair of 5 or 6mm pink leaning toward red garnets that I'd originally planned to make into earrings from Jeff Davies

I'm looking for thoughts on length / number of gems/ gem spacing and great inspiration picks.

Yay for new projects!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a great idea! I don’t think I have seen a CS by the yard necklace before, but it would be the perfect way to set stones that aren’t planned for rings. I’m not creative enough to have design ideas to share, but will be watching with great interest to see how your project develops.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5E99FDA7-F060-4B23-9B92-50D23BCADE0A.jpeg It’s not the best photo, but I have three CS chains.
Inside one is baguette shaped tourmaline, amythest etc all around
Middle one is ruby, sapphire, emerald each section with chain in between.
Outside one is longest (26 inches) and has larger size amythest, citrine, aquamarine also all around.

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Ohh ... look what happens when you go out of town for a wedding and don't pay attention to pricescope! Thank you for all the inspiration photos. @2Neezers knowing David Klass has something generally along the lines of what I'd like is super useful.

In the inspiration pics I like the multiple sized stones with chain in between, like @Bluegemz last photo. But I also like @Bron357 clusters of gems together and then chain in between the clusters as in the middle necklace.

I could do both, right, as long as the stones in a cluster were the same size / shape?

I went hunting in my jewelry box to see what else might be re-purposable and found a pair of diamond earrings my grandmother gave me when I was little. They are probably 3.5mm or so and uncerted but decently white and sparkly. I have new James Allen diamond earrings (Ideal cut, GIA certed J/I color VS2 just over 1 ctw) curtesy of my 35th Birthday and lovely husband so the little ones aren't getting worn very often. And @Bron357 you have quite the collection!

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Station necklace - blue nile.jpeg
I like the combination of the pairs of gems, big and little. It is still a large number of gems (16 gems on a 24 inch necklace). I'm not sure my budget will allow for that. I was thinking more like 9-13 gems on a 24 inch chain.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fun project!
Can’t wait to see the result.
Here is mine. It has various sizes of antique coral and the size of the chain in between the stones varies.
0C769E52-85C3-474B-94FA-6C3ADB14D3E9.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun project and I love a gem DBTY. I like them spaced evenly around the entire necklace as that way no matter if it turns it still looks good. And I love either choker length (which will vary on the individual and for me that is 15") or long length of at least 48-42" depending on your torso length. I am not a fan of in between lengths (on me) so those are my thoughts. Good luck and cannot wait to see what you decide.:appl:

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Station necklace - blue nile.jpeg
I like the combination of the pairs of gems, big and little. It is still a large number of gems (16 gems on a 24 inch necklace). I'm not sure my budget will allow for that. I was thinking more like 9-13 gems on a 24 inch chain.
Love this!

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
90D97C54-29AB-4082-9491-9EDC448F3817.jpeg 9F350668-0F8E-4677-A77E-41C73A370138.jpeg 54B1D472-CB9C-4B2F-BEF5-8B58DDE30096.jpeg B95C0F55-3137-44D3-9476-C1478C14FE61.jpeg Some other colored stone necklace ideas...

Really love the first design! I wonder what the setting cost might be though. I have a random pile of loose stones that I could turn into a necklace like that if the cost isn't prohibitive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results