shape
carat
color
clarity

Spray Tan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''m in sis''s wedding on Fri. I''m preggo so I can''t go to a tanning bed but I need a bit of color (especially next to all the other girls...) I''m very pale so I can''t use over the counter self tanners. I just turn orange. I talked to a lady who does spray tans and has a product made for those of us who are nearly transparent (so you''re not SUPPOSED to turn orange). I can get in for a spray tan today but I''ve never had one and that makes me very nervous.

What is your experience with spray tan?
advice or suggestions??

TIA!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
SS- I did one a few weeks ago for the first time, before a trip to the beach, and it worked great! It is a wonderful option for us preggos. I am actually going to do one the week before my due date as well, so that I have a nice *glow* under all that lovely hospital lighting.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Mere~ I know you''re supposed to exfoliate really well before the application. If you prepare your skin properly, how long does it last? When he started to fade, did it just FADE or did it get blotchy? Was there any orange?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I exfoliated REALLY well and shaved before going in, and I still have a decent glow today, at 2 weeks later. (Still using my darker foundation
3.gif
) I was pretty dark right after but it looked really natural (not orange, just a mid-summer tan look). I had it done around 5pm on a Thursday night and let it dry for 12 hours. I woke up and took a shower before work on Friday morning... with just bar soap, no scrubbing.

It may sound weird, but afterwards, the more showers you take without using a loufa(sp??), the longer it will last. You don't want to scrub too hard.

Of the fading I have had, it is very clean and even. The only place it gets a little blotchy is in the middle of your chest where your bra rubs, but that is because of the bra, and not the fading.

ETA: The one I had was called Versa Spa.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Mere. I hadn''t even thought of the bra rubbing. Best not to wear one immediately after the tanning I spose.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
My sister recommended VersaSpa to me, I'm pale and wanted some color for spring break so I tried it out and loved it. I liked how it looked so much that I did it throughout the summer. It's definitely something you should look at--it was super easy to do and the color was very even on me. If you do try it, make sure you've been exfoliating/moisturizing (especially your hands, feet, and elbows) and put lip balm on your lips before spraying. All you do is cover your hair with a shower cap, step in the machine and depending on the options you choose you stand in different positions and it spays and dries. You can choose from different levels of color, where you want it done (full body, face, or legs only), and you can choose to have a moisturizing spay done before the color if you want. I checked and it's supposed to be safe for pregnant women.

VersaSpa
Salon Locator

Good luck :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SS--out of sheer curiosity, why can't pregnant women go in tanning beds?

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
SS,

I would think twice about doing it for the first time right before your sister''s wedding. I have heard of some people who have great experiences and some people who don''t (streaky, orange, etc). I think it all depends on how it interacts with your body chemistry. It could be great but do you really want to risk it this close to the wedding?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Monnie~ UV rays may break down folic acid, your body temp can get over 102, and usually preggo skin is extra sensitive. Plus, you can''t lay on your stomach and you''re not supposed to lay on your back.

NB~ I''ve thought about the possible orange and streaky look. That''s why I was looking for real life experience. The problem is, WITHOUT a tan, I''m still going to be streaky. That would be the blue veins that show through my skin....in a short red dress...
23.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I am transparent and pale blue too. I''ve had a spray tan done once and it was really nice. It was the lightest colour they could do, formulated for very pale people and it looked pretty natural. I liked it a lot.

Problem with it was that it faded unevenly - even though I was exfoliated and had my skin prep done as part of the treatment, it was a mess on its way out.

I would have been nervous of doing it for the first time before being in a wedding, but I would say that it looked really nice for the first few days. I think my natural skin colour was just so, so white that it didn''t stand a chance in the long run.
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 11:07:59 AM
Author: somethingshiny
Monnie~ UV rays may break down folic acid, your body temp can get over 102, and usually preggo skin is extra sensitive. Plus, you can''t lay on your stomach and you''re not supposed to lay on your back.

NB~ I''ve thought about the possible orange and streaky look. That''s why I was looking for real life experience. The problem is, WITHOUT a tan, I''m still going to be streaky. That would be the blue veins that show through my skin....in a short red dress...
23.gif
Dang. Can''t you do a stand-up bed for 5 minutes? I mean, how much of your folic acid will that amount of time break down?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Monnie- I think it falls under the same category as sitting in a hot tub. The potential *harm* comes from not knowing how warm the inside of your body is getting.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.tanning-advisor.com/pregnancy-and-tanning-beds.html

I am SO not debating the issue, and I don''t have a ton of time to research the topic today, but this article talks about tanning being ok after the first trimester and mentions that lying on one''s side or standing up are ok. Also mentions temp and folic acid.

SS, you''re 6-7 months, right? I have zero authority to offer my opinion on this but I don''t see that you could do serious damage to bebe if you stand in a booth for 5 minutes or less.

Please no one flame me!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 11:51:26 AM
Author: meresal
Monnie- I think it falls under the same category as sitting in a hot tub. The potential *harm* comes from not knowing how warm the inside of your body is getting.

This. You aren''t even supposed to take prolonged hot showers - I had to ask about this at the beginning because I like my showers HOT. Hot tubs, tanning beds, and sitting out in the sun are big no-no''s. Plus your skin when pregnant is so incredibly delicate, it''s really easy to burn.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Mon, while I think it would probably be fine (I agree, 5 minutes is nothing), if she''s THAT pale it may not even help. She wouldn''t have time to get her base tan finished, much less any color.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Her sister's wedding is in 2 days... and 5 minutes in a stand up bed or 10 minutes in a horizontal tanning bed is just going to give her a horrible burn or no change at all.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 12:08:58 PM
Her sister''s wedding is in 2 days... and 5 minutes in a stand up bed or 10 minutes in a horizontal tanning bed is just going to give her a horrible burn or no change at all.
OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY. I know her sister''s wedding is this weekend.
23.gif

SS--call or stop by the salon and get their advice. Call your doctor and ask if you can stick your face and neck in a stand up bed for thirty seconds. Just trying to help, not trying to cause preggo controversy here.

The only other thing I can think of is for you to use bronzer. If you''re skilled with bronzer you can create the illusion of a little extra color, but you may sweat it off or it will rub off when you''re hugging people or holding JT or whatever.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
There was no hidden meaning in my post. I was just stating a fact.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 12:15:48 PM
Author: monarch64

Date: 3/24/2010 12:08:58 PM
Her sister''s wedding is in 2 days... and 5 minutes in a stand up bed or 10 minutes in a horizontal tanning bed is just going to give her a horrible burn or no change at all.
OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY. I know her sister''s wedding is this weekend.
23.gif

SS--call or stop by the salon and get their advice. Call your doctor and ask if you can stick your face and neck in a stand up bed for thirty seconds. Just trying to help, not trying to cause preggo controversy here.

The only other thing I can think of is for you to use bronzer. If you''re skilled with bronzer you can create the illusion of a little extra color, but you may sweat it off or it will rub off when you''re hugging people or holding JT or whatever.
LMAO, what?!?! Monnie, you funny!
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 12:19:58 PM
There was no hidden meaning in my post. I was just stating a fact.
Your delivery of the fact makes the baby jesus
39.gif
. And I felt verbally b*tch-slapped. I must be having one of those days.
9.gif
35.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
My apologies if it came across that way.
5.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 12:31:27 PM
5.gif
Just being silly!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I haven''t tried a spray tan but if you are interested I have used a lot of self tanners.

Loreal Sublime Glow gradual self tanner for medium skin tone works REALLY well for me. It''s a daily self tanner, but lasts a few days with no streaks (blend really well!) and no uneven fading. You can use it once for a light change or every day for a few days to build up the color. The light skin tone did nothing for me. Blending is easy because it''s more like a lotion and doesn''t dry too fast. Just don''t wear white/pale colors because it does come off on them. It has a nice shimmer in it too that makes your skin ''glow'' rather than sparkle.

I am pretty fair, a MAC NC15!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 12:37:18 PM

5.gif
Just being silly!
Pregnancy has made me a bit more concise... that or my MIL taking everything I say out of context... lol

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

I have tanned in the salon over the past couple summers and it takes me 2 weeks of going nearly every day to get color. (because I have to literally start at 2 minutes in the stand up bed!) Thanks Monnie, for trying to figure out other ideas. I do appreciate it! And, the only tanning salon in my town actually won''t allow a pregnant woman in, so that''s not even an option.

I''m no good with bronzer, I just bought my first the other day and I''m having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to do just my face!!

I think I''ll try the spray. I''ll get in tonight, the wedding is fri, I can''t imagine there''d be much fading or streaking by then...fingers crossed.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had them done in the spray tan booths at Palm Beach Tan and they always come out really good. Just be sure to put a THICK layer of moisturizer on your hands and feet (really rub into the palms, soles & cuticles) and/or wear the booties & gloves because hands & feet WILL turn orange. Also wear a shower cap on your hair if you''re blonde.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 12:41:01 PM
Author: shimmer
I haven''t tried a spray tan but if you are interested I have used a lot of self tanners.

Loreal Sublime Glow gradual self tanner for medium skin tone works REALLY well for me. It''s a daily self tanner, but lasts a few days with no streaks (blend really well!) and no uneven fading. You can use it once for a light change or every day for a few days to build up the color. The light skin tone did nothing for me. Blending is easy because it''s more like a lotion and doesn''t dry too fast. Just don''t wear white/pale colors because it does come off on them. It has a nice shimmer in it too that makes your skin ''glow'' rather than sparkle.

I am pretty fair, a MAC NC15!
Ditto this - L''Oreal makes the only drugstore self-tanners that I will use. Even the quick-acting one (nont gradual) is great and gives very natural color. I have hated all the other drugstore tanners I have used.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 12:46:50 PM
Date: 3/24/2010 12:37:18 PM

5.gif
Just being silly!
Pregnancy has made me a bit more concise... that or my MIL taking everything I say out of context... lol

Mere, I totally understand the conciseness carrying over, I find myself posting here while I''m at work and sometimes my posts are really formal and short because I''m in that environment. I really feel for you on the MIL issues, and I''m sorry she''s such a negative in your life. No one should have to deal with that. Hugs!!!

SS--I know you will look stunning and beautiful no matter what shade of pale you are this weekend. If you do opt for the bronzer route, there are lots of helpful hints online if you do a little research...I''m guessing there are even youtube vids that walk you through it. I wish I could come over and help you get ready this weekend--I would make you laugh and tell you ten hundred times how fabulously gorgeous you look! I''ll be thinking of, at any rate!
35.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 12:04:27 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Mon, while I think it would probably be fine (I agree, 5 minutes is nothing), if she''s THAT pale it may not even help. She wouldn''t have time to get her base tan finished, much less any color.

I agree, 5 min would do nothing for me at all. I am super pale too
15.gif

Somethingshiny- if you do go get it let me know how it turns out. I am planning to get it done for a wedding next month. I am not pregnant, just not into skin cancer!

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
SS, just wanted to add my 2 cents and say that i really loved Neutrogena''s Micromist spray tan. it comes in either a medium or dark shade, so depending on your natural skin tone, you can pick one that suits you best. i used the medium last year for a wedding, and i think it came out very well. i didn''t turn orange, no streaking and it faded very evenly.

keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results