shape
carat
color
clarity

Spotting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Ok just out of sheer curiosity (not pregnant yet), I have a question for the pregnant PS'ers.....

I was watching TLC and there was the show (or maybe documentary, not sure if its a series or not) called "I Didnt Know I Was Pregant". It's about woman who claim they had no idea they were pregnant untill the baby came out while they were sitting on a toilet and stuff like that (i think you have to know, maybe its denial?)

Anyway despite not gaining much weight and not having any sickness, the biggest thing was the fact that they "got their periods" which according to doctors, was just spotting typical during pregnancy.

So my question is, is "spotting" heavy? Like heavy enough to be mistaken for the flow of a real period? I always assumed it was just as it sounds "spotting" so light spots here and there. I think most women use their period as a gage, like 'im not pregnant' and when they dont get it the first thing they think of is pregnancy. So if spotting is really heavy, then maybe it is possible many women assume they arent pregant because of it?

Just curious....thanks!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
It boggles my mind that any woman would give birth and not know she was pregnant... But to answer your question, I overheard one of my aunts tell my mom once that she had spotting during one of her pregnancies, but I couldn''t tell you how heavy it was. Personally, I had a whole week of implantation spotting and about three days of it were pretty heavy (but nowhere near heavy enough for a pad or a tampon) and then that''s it. No spotting or bleeding whatsoever since.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only spotting I had was small amounts of dark brown spots. . . NOTHING like having a period or anything that could be confused as such. I recall an episode of that show and I believe someone said that their periods were irregular.

Personally, I think a lot of those stories are B.S. Yes, there may be a woman or two out there who didn''t know. . .but, come on. . .there was one story where the woman was a size 4 and gave birth to nearly full-term baby. She really didn''t see her tummy becoming rounder or notice any changes???
20.gif

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your replies ladies!

anchor- yes it boggles my mind too! I dont understand how you could not know! Maybe the first few months but not after 9 months??

MC- Hah I was thinking the same thing too! Many of the stories mentioned, the woman were a little overweight. So maybe gaining 10-20 lbs (which many said thats all they gained) wasnt that noticable? I mean a size 4 would notice 20 lbs! Especially if all the weight gain was in her uterus!
20.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I spotted a teensy bit (implantation) with London, and a bit more w/Trapper. NOTHING like a regular period. If I was expecting my period, and it was just a little bit and did not require a pad or tampon, I would be going to the Dr. to get myself checked out. I''m at least aware enough of my body that I know what my period is like-and if it deviates from that, well, then, something''s going on. I also think a lot of those stories are bs. The human mind is an amazing thing, and I think you can be in such deep denial you trick yourself into "not knowing" you''re pregnant.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure if I believe most of those stories but I have watched several episodes of that series.
I think the freakiest one was the girl with the heart condition who passed out before giving birth on her front lawn. They showed a picture of her in a bikini when she was supposedly 6 or 8 months pregnant and she was thin as a rail.

The brain is a very interesting organ. I''m kind of a hypochondriac, and I remember asking a doctor one time if it was posssible for your body to react to your mind. She said "absolutely" and then told me that some woman who are obsessed with becoming pregnant can start releasing hormones, experience morning sickness, and even grow a belly--all without actually being pregnant. It seems only fitting that it can work the other way too--you have no idea you are pregnant, the thought never even crosses your mind, and your body reacts accordingly.

hmmm

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I watched a couple episodes of that show this weekend. I can see how they can disregard the lack of period and spotting since a lot of them have irregular cycles. But most of the times, it just seems like they ignored the signs/symptoms. I think they were too busy to pay attention.

And to answer your question, I didn''t have any spotting with my 1st pregnancy, and none so far for this pregnancy. So I don''t know how heavy the spotting is. I''ve read that it is common and normal though b/c of increased blood flow to the uterus.

cara

Ideal_Rock
I think there was another thread on this. My parents had a friend who gave birth without knowing she was pregnant earlier (overweight, irregular cycles, ...) I believe she gave the baby up for adoption.

But in the other thread, there were nurses who had seen several of these so I think its a real phenomena! In particular, they mentioned the early, mid-40s woman with grown or mostly grown kids at home who just thinks they are entering menopause and fails to consider the other possibilities! They arrive at the hospital with GI pain thinking they have appendicitis or something. Generally but not always these women are overweight. I''m sure there are also some teen girls that just enter into total denial as the pregnancy progresses. As luckystar says, the brain is a powerful organ!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of my friends had very heavy spotting and she said it was like a light period. So I do think it''s possible...

My favorite was the woman who was preggo with TWINS and didn''t know it. I just could not believe that being a twin mom myself...I was so so miserable and huge I just cannot imagine not knowing you have two in there!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had a few bouts of spotting throughout my pregnancy. The first one was heavy like a period (and I thought I was having a miscarriage, but I wasn''t). The other times were heavy enough to need a pantyliner, but not an actual pad. But I''ve read plenty of stories on thebump.com (the knot for pregnancies) about spotting, and it does happen where people have multiple bouts of heavy spotting.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I guess if you don''t normally have regular periods I could see a woman not being alarmed if they stop. But I don''t think bleeding is normal outside of some first trimester spotting. My question is, are fetal movements something you can mistake for something else? How did these mom''s not feel their baby move? I wonder if denial has a lot to do with it more than just not knowing.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Fetal movements = just gas! Plus some padding in the belly area to muffle things. And I think one can have bleeding or spotting outside of the first trimester. Yes, seriously I think there is a denial component to it! As in, if your mind thinks that pregnancy is just completely not a possibility, other excuses are invented... it hasn''t really been that long since my last period, my tummy is a bit odd (bigger and gassy) but i''m just putting on a bit of weight because I''ve been undisciplined and eating more... etc.

i mean, at a school i worked at there were a few instances talked about of teen girls going from skinny to preggo and go from cute tight little clothes to bulky sweats, and their *parents* don''t suspect a thing. Their little girl is just getting a bit chunky/overweight, because in their minds pregnancy IS NOT AN OPTION. Obviously a woman who denies her own pregnancy is ignoring signs her own body is giving her (rather than external appearance of another person) but still. Denial is a powerful thing.

But the OB hospital nurses in the other thread seemed to say that it happened, at least not ridiculously infrequently in their line of work. And who else would see it a lot - not the outpatient OB clinics b/c the women don''t think they are pregnant so why would they go in for a check?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I started bleeding around the 8 week mark and if I hadn''t known I was pregnant I might well have assumed it was my period. Apparently (according to my OB friend) quite a lot of pg women get spotting every month around the time they would have done normally.

My BIL''s daughter was conceived after a couple of ''dates'' and the mother swears she had no idea she was preggo until 8 months when she had a medical to join the police! She is 21, very overweight and was on Depo. BIL got a text message saying "I''m pg, it''s yours and due in 3 weeks"
23.gif
having not seen her for over 7 months... talk about shock (they''re not together).

When you look at the pg thread, there are loads of people there who worry because they ''don''t feel'' pregnant - and that is when you are analysing every teeny thing.

If you don''t have morning sickness, are overweight, have an anterior placenta and are on a contraceptive that eliminates any bleeding then I can totally see how you could get to 6/7 months without realising - but I can''t believe you can go full-term...

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
well...

my mom didn''t know she was pregnant with me until she was 6 months pregnant. she (like me) NEVER had regular periods, so it was not uncommon for her to go many months without one (I pretty much never get my period unless I''m on hormonal birth control).

also, she was told she couldn''t get pregnant due to her fallopian tubes being so scarred from surgery she had years prior...so when she started gaining weight and getting tired, she was sure it was a tumor...and because she was so scared of what it might be (she wasn''t even 35 yet), she didn''t see a doctor for months.

just as some background--my parents were married and did want a kid (they were married for 14 years before I was born), but they didn''t think it was possible.

I will admit my mom is pretty clueless...but I can''t say it''s IMPOSSIBLE for someone to not know they''re pregnant--I think it''s unlikely, sure...but not impossible!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I have a hard time believing some of those women too. I didn''t spot at all during my pregnancy, and I guess if you''re overweight to start with it can mask it, but a baby kicking your bladder feels nothing like gas! And the hiccups are a very unique feeling. I do think it''s a denial thing, and just not listeneing to their bodies. I can understand not knowing for a few months, but to get full term?
20.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2009 5:23:35 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I guess if you don''t normally have regular periods I could see a woman not being alarmed if they stop. But I don''t think bleeding is normal outside of some first trimester spotting. My question is, are fetal movements something you can mistake for something else? How did these mom''s not feel their baby move? I wonder if denial has a lot to do with it more than just not knowing.

Some women do have bleeding past the first trimester...and as for the movements if you were overweight and especially if you have a posterior placenta the movements could be fairly muffled is my guess. Especially in the first months where you feel movement it often is hard to discern from gas...

I still think it''s crazy that you could not know...but I''d buy that it''s at least possible.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
This totally freaks me out. Especially since I have an IUD and don''t get a period anymore.
32.gif

Mommies-what does a pg tummy feel like? Is it squishy like fat or is it harder? LOL I have always wondered that!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
At the end they''re as tight as a drum. Let''s just say this...if you have an "innie" belly button, it''ll be an "outtie" before you''re done
25.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2009 4:59:02 PM
Author: Miscka
This totally freaks me out. Especially since I have an IUD and don''t get a period anymore.
32.gif

Mommies-what does a pg tummy feel like? Is it squishy like fat or is it harder? LOL I have always wondered that!
My tummy is not very big yet (15 weeks), but it''s firm. Definitely not squishy like fat or a beer belly. I suppose that if one has excessive weight to begin with, it might feel differently...

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 11:47:59 AM
Author: anchor31

32.gif

My tummy is not very big yet (15 weeks), but it''s firm. Definitely not squishy like fat or a beer belly. I suppose that if one has excessive weight to begin with, it might feel differently...

Thanks, anchor! That is what I was curious about...the early weeks. What happens if you flex your abs? Sorry for the silly questions
28.gif
. I am so fascinated by pregnancy!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Mine just looked like a slowly growing beer gut until 6 months or so, and it was on the firm side, not squishy like it is now
38.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a friend who is highly educated woman who didn''t find out she was pregnant until 4, 5 months along. She was very busy with her life and had an IUD which made her periods light and spotty anyways, so it never entered her mind she could be pregnant till it was very advanced. So I think someone finding out very late is possible, since it happened to my friend. However probably people who are full term and surprised when they go into labor are either very out of touch with their bodies/in some sort of denial.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 4:28:15 PM
Author: part gypsy
I have a friend who is highly educated woman who didn''t find out she was pregnant until 4, 5 months along. She was very busy with her life and had an IUD which made her periods light and spotty anyways, so it never entered her mind she could be pregnant till it was very advanced. So I think someone finding out very late is possible, since it happened to my friend. However probably people who are full term and surprised when they go into labor are either very out of touch with their bodies/in some sort of denial.

32.gif
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif

How did she find out? Is she on the heavier side?

32.gif
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif

NakedFinger you have brought out my crazy paranoid side!
40.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock

Not knowing until 4/5 months I can totally understand. Many women aren''t even showing then. But 8 or 9 months is what I have a hard time believing!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 4:42:43 PM
Author: neatfreak

Not knowing until 4/5 months I can totally understand. Many women aren''t even showing then. But 8 or 9 months is what I have a hard time believing!
Ditto - and you can easily not start to feel movements till 22 weeks and then confuse them. Heck it''s hard enough when you are looking for them!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2009 5:26:45 PM
Author: purrfectpear
At the end they''re as tight as a drum. Let''s just say this...if you have an ''innie'' belly button, it''ll be an ''outtie'' before you''re done
25.gif

And if you have an outie to start with, it will be a ginormous stretched out oval/circle and very strange looking. Or, mine was anyway haha!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding my friend she is curvy but not heavy. I think she noticed because she didn''t feel well, felt bloated, etc went to the doctor and found out she was pregnant! Unfortunately by then they could not remove the IUD without endangering the child, but at the same time it it was irritating the placental sac and probably caused her to go into premature labor. The meds and bedrest and such weren''t enough to stop it so I think she gave birth about a month after she found out she was pregnant
Her baby was in the ICU for about 3 months but pulled through and doing remarkably well considering the circumstances. Talk about not having the baby''s room ready in time!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 1:10:29 PM

Date: 7/8/2009 11:47:59 AM
Author: anchor31

32.gif

Thanks, anchor! That is what I was curious about...the early weeks. What happens if you flex your abs? Sorry for the silly questions
28.gif
. I am so fascinated by pregnancy!
Hmm... I actually had to go in front of the mirror and check! The higher part of my abdomen gets a bit firmer (like pre-preggo abs flewing, I guess), but the lower part stays the same. But that''s just me.
28.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys for humoring me. I POAS bc I was so freaked out...it was neg!

PG how scary for your friend. I am glad the baby is ok, that is the part about the IUD that worries me.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Spotting during pregnancy can be that heavy, and it can come monthly like a period. It''s difficult to notice the difference especially if you''ve had irregular periods before (like many teenage girls have had, and these are typically the ones who don''t know they''re pregnant until late-term). Those who are overweight to begin with may not notice the weight gain. I also think there''s a LOT of denial involved. The brain can be a tricky thing.

Part gypsy: the story about getting pregnant with an IUD is one of my greatest fears. At the risk of TMI, I have an IUD (Mirena), and I also have stopped having periods. My lifestyle is probably just like your friend''s...eek!

On the other hand, the IUD is the single most effective form of birth control, besides abstinence. It''s more effective than having your tubes tied. So I think most of us are pretty safe, but it''s not 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results