shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel & Diamond Sidestones - Proportions ok?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would appreciate thoughts on these pear diamond sidestones’ proportions to the center spinel, please. I plugged them into my iPad’s adobe sketch program and tried to scale them as close as possible for the depiction, so this is pretty close to how they’d look, save for the angling-down of the sides once set. My finger size for this ring is a 7.25, so I wanted there to be more coverage going down the sides of the finger that the pears’ length afford. Do these look about right/good? They are ‘D’-color diamonds so will be very white, if that makes a difference in how much they may stand out.
926173DB-B829-4821-92B2-63C06784F6EE.png
Although my sides are pears vs ACCs, the visual proportions look kind of close to this Leon ring that I *believe* belongs/ed to a PSer, though I cannot recall who. I absolutely LOVE it, and feel the sides are the right size to give a little extra sparkle while letting that gorgeous spinel stand out. :love:
D3DC7D46-57AF-493B-ADB6-AD53E03A1383.jpeg
BCD8387F-E2E7-4842-9A47-87B3510E01B3.jpeg

I also saw @LisaRN ‘s beautiful spinel ring which seems close in ct weight with larger side stones (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/red-spinel-three-stone-ring-pic-heavy.170990/ ), but want my spinel to be more the primary focus, so prefer the smaller sides stones for my plans. I’d love to see other similiar 3-stone combos with a CS center and diamond sides if anyone has one/some to share.

Thanks much for sharing your thoughts/opinions. :wavey:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would appreciate thoughts on these pear diamond sidestones’ proportions to the center spinel, please. I plugged them into my iPad’s adobe sketch program and tried to scale them as close as possible for the depiction, so this is pretty close to how they’d look, save for the angling-down of the sides once set. My finger size for this ring is a 7.25, so I wanted there to be more coverage going down the sides of the finger that the pears’ length afford. Do these look about right/good? They are ‘D’-color diamonds so will be very white, if that makes a difference in how much they may stand out.
926173DB-B829-4821-92B2-63C06784F6EE.png
Although my sides are pears vs ACCs, the visual proportions look kind of close to this Leon ring that I *believe* belongs/ed to a PSer, though I cannot recall who. I absolutely LOVE it, and feel the sides are the right size to give a little extra sparkle while letting that gorgeous spinel stand out. :love:
D3DC7D46-57AF-493B-ADB6-AD53E03A1383.jpeg
BCD8387F-E2E7-4842-9A47-87B3510E01B3.jpeg

I also saw @LisaRN ‘s beautiful spinel ring which seems close in ct weight with larger side stones (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/red-spinel-three-stone-ring-pic-heavy.170990/ ), but want my spinel to be more the primary focus, so prefer the smaller sides stones for my plans. I’d love to see other similiar 3-stone combos with a CS center and diamond sides if anyone has one/some to share.

Thanks much for sharing your thoughts/opinions. :wavey:

I like the diamonds you are considering and think they will make your spinel stand out. I am actually thinking of pulling the diamonds out of my ring that you mentioned and using them to create a new ring with a larger cushion red spinel that I have. So we are like minded. :)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for weighing in, @LisaRN . How much bigger is your larger spinel from the current one, if I may ask?

I forgot that I had these pictures (albeit poor lighting so they don’t do the spinel any favors) from awhile back when I bought everything, but the project has been on the back burner for awhile. But I’m ready to pick it back up now and get ‘r done.

5D15DB47-97B1-40DD-A271-298449C4FC47.jpeg
B8512661-344E-4A78-A7AA-8196390F6EBD.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the spinel with the pears you selected angling down. I think that style of setting helps everything look proportional. HTH

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for weighing in, @LisaRN . How much bigger is your larger spinel from the current one, if I may ask?

I forgot that I had these pictures (albeit poor lighting so they don’t do the spinel any favors) from awhile back when I bought everything, but the project has been on the back burner for awhile. But I’m ready to pick it back up now and get ‘r done.

5D15DB47-97B1-40DD-A271-298449C4FC47.jpeg
B8512661-344E-4A78-A7AA-8196390F6EBD.jpeg

.48 carats. IMHO I think cushion shapes are more forgiving of larger side stones.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am getting closer to pulling the trigger on this project, but wanted to run this latest ‘mock-up’ by ya’ll to see if - in seeing it like this - the proportions still look about right. This is about what I’m envisioning the finished ring will kinda look like from the top, and is as close to scale (stones/sizes) as I can muster. I definitely prefer a smidge bigger side-pear look vs. the super tiny ones with central stones, so I think I’m kind of close here.

Thoughts? Do the side diamonds look too big or about right? They’re ‘D’ color if that makes any difference. And I’m slightly worried that being that high in color will make them possibly appear bigger, resulting in a slightly different look, but I may be over thinking it. :confused:
18141BBB-BFF8-4FE6-9CC9-4C0D81EEBC68.jpeg

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the proportions look good. It’s a very pretty stone and I think the color will pop! Enjoy!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The proportions look good to my eyes. This will be a gorgeous ring

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The proportions look perfect to me and wowza :love: This is going to be a GORGEOUS ring. I love everything about it. Good luck @the_mother_thing. I love this ring. :love:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @MissyBeaucoup @Acinom & @missy I am rather excited to FINALLY be closer to pulling the trigger on this project, as I’ve waffled back and forth on what I want ... use the pears, use the rose cuts, go solitaire, go halo ... :doh: In the end, I kept coming back to the classic 3-stone with the pears.

Just a note to clarify - the stones in that mock-up above aren’t mine (mine were further up-thread, but they were pretty bad pics in terms of lighting, especially for the spinel); the mock-up is a mash-up of a couple rings that I edited down a bit here and there to try and get proportions to scale so I can visualize how the end result may look. I think the spinel with the double claws was a PSers’ Leon Mege ring, and the side pears ring were from another PSers diamond three stone that had the sides’ angle-down about right where I want it to be.
It should be ~20 mm (east to west) of ‘rounded’ finger coverage on a size 7.25 finger, so I’m hoping it’s gonna be just perfect. :appl:

Thanks again for the feedback! That helps to reassure I’m on the right path! :wavey:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like the proportions will be fine. I am so excited for you!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @LisaRN Weren’t you considering resetting your spinel 3-stone with a bigger spinel? Have you decided on that at all, or pulled the trigger?

I just realized that I forgot to post a link to the two pear sides. :doh: I wasn’t specifically going for ‘D’ color; rather, they just happened to be the closest match for pear side stones in the size I was looking for at the time, and their bow-ties appeared pretty minimal in the videos compared to some I’ve seen. And since they’re going with a CS, I didn’t think the high color would matter much. I don’t see any bowties in person when I view them, so I’m hoping they will be okay. :eh:

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08501878
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08431082

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @LisaRN Weren’t you considering resetting your spinel 3-stone with a bigger spinel? Have you decided on that at all, or pulled the trigger?

It is on my list of things to do. I need to send two rings to David Klass for repair (he has agreed to fix an heirloom ring) and finish some home improvement projects first. I went into selling mode for awhile. I had soooooo many rings that I never wore and I felt selfish to have hoarded so many pieces. So I decided- sell, scrap, update the house and when the dust settles focus on creating pieces that I truly want. Not pieces that are "good enough" for now. New kitchen counter is paid for and will finish new windows and privacy fencing within the next 6 weeks.

My future plans when the dust settles:
Reset my N colored OEC.
An almost solitaire (blue spinel with oec sides) in platinum.
Re-set my red spinel to one with diamond cushion side stones.
Set my spessartite - white gold halo type setting.
Create a fun purple spinel with spessie side stone ring in white gold.
Remake my three stone red spinel and diamond ring (polish out a facet chip on the spinel as well).

So until then I will live vicariously through your project. I know it will be stunning! :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg looks perfect to me! Those D diamonds will be a beautiful contrast to that gorgeous spinel. Great size too, they will show up beautifully on your hand. I'm jelly and can't wait to see it finished!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So DK has a website now (I knew he started an Etsy though). :clap:

Maybe that isn’t news, and I’m just slow to find out, as I haven’t contacted him in some time to execute a project for me.

https://www.davidklassjewelry.com/

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @junebug17 I am excited as well.

@LisaRN - It always seems our to-do lists are loooooong, and time (and sometimes funds) are short. :wall:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve reached out to DK for this ring, and he is drawing things up. :dance:

I was quite surprised to note that the price difference between 14K-WGP and Platinum was so close, and it got me to thinking. I normally prefer 18K WG-unplated for my rings, but worried the ‘whellow’ color might be too ‘off’ for the D-color diamonds, and that 14K WG Palladium combo might be better in this case. David commented that he thought that option would also be perfect for the diamond color. But the cost of platinum is only a couple hundred dollars more, and I’m wondering if it makes sense to go that route instead.

What do ya’ll think would be better for this particular design? Are there appreciable structural or design ‘pros’ to going with platinum (besides the ‘heft’)? I know I’ve read that some setting styles are better in platinum vs. gold, but thought that was more about pave. As for the look/heft, I’m really indifferent and don’t have the same strong preference for platinum that others do. But if it would yield other benefits for this particular setting style (e.g., stronger prongs to hold the spinel & diamonds, since I’m going with claws), I can get on board pretty easily.

What would you do/suggest, and why? Thanks so much! :wavey:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with platinum - I just think it's a bit more luxurious and the most precious metal, and I don't see any reason not to if it's just a few hundred dollars more. I also think platinum will go well with the D colored diamonds.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like platinum. IMHO it always looks good even with patina.

BTW- I am so excited for you. I cannot wait to see your ring when it is done. It will be amazing!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First round of CADs are already in, and I think David did a GREAT job of capturing my overall intent & wishes:
BA9308C1-7CFE-44EC-96A5-D05ED8CA74C4.jpeg

Seeing it in CAD with more precise drawing & measurements and how much ‘face-up’ there is of the diamonds, I think I want to make the following changes, and would appreciate others’ thoughts on these please:
6786F9AD-7D5C-45FB-A687-A0DF8EA606A1.jpeg

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First round of CADs are already in, and I think David did a GREAT job of capturing my overall intent & wishes:
BA9308C1-7CFE-44EC-96A5-D05ED8CA74C4.jpeg

Seeing it in CAD with more precise drawing & measurements and how much ‘face-up’ there is of the diamonds, I think I want to make the following changes, and would appreciate others’ thoughts on these please:
6786F9AD-7D5C-45FB-A687-A0DF8EA606A1.jpeg
This is looking really great. I think platinum will look amazing with the diamonds as well. So exciting!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Rubybrick :wavey:

Anyone else have any thoughts/feedback on the CADs and my proposed changes?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I particularly like the narrowing of the shank near the stones you proposed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results