shape
carat
color
clarity

spice cake

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know there are a lot of great cooks & bakers here on PS.

FI''s birthday is next week and he wants a spice cake -- a real spice cake. I''ve made him spice cake before (as well as apple spice cake) and it was good but I''d like to do better. I plan to frost it with a fluffy vanilla/almond frosting.

Does anyone have a good spice cake recipe to share?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
my idea of a spice cake is basically carrot cake without the nuts and carrots. is that what you mean..aka that flavoring?

i would prob just start with a fave butter or regular cake recipe and add your spices which i believe are nutmeg and cinnamon primarily (along with maybe ginger and cardamom?), but i also use the pumpkin pie spice container from TJ's a lot for baking in fall.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2010 2:01:01 PM
Author: Mara
my idea of a spice cake is basically carrot cake without the nuts and carrots. is that what you mean..aka that flavoring?

i would prob just start with a fave butter or regular cake recipe and add your spices which i believe are nutmeg and cinnamon primarily (along with maybe ginger and cardamom?), but i also use the pumpkin pie spice container from TJ''s a lot for baking in fall.
Thanks for the suggestion. I might have to give that a try too -- and cardamom sounds like an interesting addition.

I found a couple of recipes online that look like they have potential too. One is a molasses spice cake. I think this may be what he is looking for. He likes stuff with molasses and spices so this might be what he has in mind?

This might be a good chance to make cupcake samples for him to take to work...

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Sounds
18.gif
I used to make one from the back of W Lily Flour bag....I''ll check.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dont have a recipe, but I love me some spice cake
18.gif

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Sour Cream Spice Cake recipe

2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 2/3 cups sugar
2 sticks butter, melted and cooled
1 cup sour cream
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Center a rack and pre heat oven to 350. Grease/flour cake pans. Dry wisk flour, baking soda,baking powder, salt, cinnamon,nutmeg,and cloves together, whisk in sugar. Beat together the cooled butter, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla until thoroughly blended. Gradually add the flour mixture until blended, pour into prepared cake pans and bake at 350 for 25-29 minutes. Or until they test done with a toothpick.

I have one more recipe, its technically a muffin recipe, but I noticed you said maybe your FI would like molasses better, and this one has it. Also, the crumb is very similar to a cake, and no one has ever been able to tell they were not after I have frosted them.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Gingerbread muffins (or cupcakes
2.gif
)

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons groud ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegtable oil (can sub applesauce or yogurt if you want)
1/4 cup molasses

Combine the flour,sugar,baking powder,ginger,cinnamon,salt, and cloves. In another bowl, whisk the egg,milk, oil and molasses until smooth, stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Fill in paper cups half full, bake at 375 for 15-19 minutes. When I make these, I usually do a cream cheese frosting, but I think your frosting sounds delish!
18.gif

If you dont mind, how do you make your vanilla- almond frosting?
4.gif

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2010 6:23:37 PM
Author: sctsbride09
Gingerbread muffins (or cupcakes
2.gif
)

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons groud ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegtable oil (can sub applesauce or yogurt if you want)
1/4 cup molasses

Combine the flour,sugar,baking powder,ginger,cinnamon,salt, and cloves. In another bowl, whisk the egg,milk, oil and molasses until smooth, stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Fill in paper cups half full, bake at 375 for 15-19 minutes. When I make these, I usually do a cream cheese frosting, but I think your frosting sounds delish!
18.gif

If you dont mind, how do you make your vanilla- almond frosting?
4.gif

That recipe sounds yummy.

I''ve used this frosting on a lemon chiffon cake (and lemon chiffon cupcakes filled with lemon curd) and also as a dip on a tray of fresh fruit. I think the flavor will work great with a spice cake.

Fluffy Frosting
3 large egg whites
3/4 cup(s) sugar
3 tablespoon(s) water
1/4 teaspoon(s) cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon(s) almond extract

In a heat-proof bowl, mix all ingredients except extracts and coconut. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat 1 minute. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure bowl doesn''t touch water. On high speed, beat until stiff, shiny peaks form, 7 minutes. Remove bowl from heat; add extracts. Beat 5 minutes, or until frosting is cool. Frost cake.

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Oh MG, first one it's so close to the one I was drooling on, will share in a few......

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TooPatient
, where does your fiancé get his love of spice cake? If you give us more information, maybe there is a specific recipe

that hits close to home. Did his mother make it? Was if from a specific ethnic group? Did he have it once at a certain, well-

known restaurant and absolutely love their version of it? I am wondering why you want to improve on your past versions!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TooPatient
-

This may not be what you are looking for, but I was very glad to have come across this recipe while looking for one for you! It is

for a self-saucing brown sugar spice cake and it looks like the kind of moist, easy cake I would love! I am from New England and

have also made Indian pudding in a crock pot for my extended family for Thanksgiving, though, so I may be unusual.

Nonetheless, someone else on Pricescope may like this recipe! It looks nifty! Self-saucing brown sugar spice cake!

Deb/AGBF
34.gif

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/4/2010 10:23:38 AM
Author: AGBF

TooPatient
, where does your fiancé get his love of spice cake? If you give us more information, maybe there is a specific recipe

that hits close to home. Did his mother make it? Was if from a specific ethnic group? Did he have it once at a certain, well-

known restaurant and absolutely love their version of it? I am wondering why you want to improve on your past versions!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF
34.gif
I wish I knew -- I wish he knew.

I suspect it is a combination of recipes his grandmother used to make (originally from France/Germany - Alsace Lorraine - and moved to CA) and different things he has had while traveling. He really likes food with ginger in it and asks for ginger cookies every time I suggest I might make a batch of cookies. I discovered a bit ago that when he says "ginger cookie" he is really looking for molasses cookies (dark, rich, not too sweet, not overpowered by too much molasses, still lots of ginger).

We eat all sorts of stuff so I can''t even narrow it down to a certain cuisine he prefers. One day is super authentic Persian food then Russian then French...

The spice cake I did for him before was good but he said "it doesn''t have enough spice". I made it again and added lots more spice (2 Tbsp. instead of 2 tsp of the spices as well as an additional spice that wasn''t in the first). It still didn''t have enough "spice".
We had a similar conversation about the cookies so that is what left me wondering if what he is missing is the bit of molasses.
33.gif

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/4/2010 12:06:55 PM
Author: AGBF

TooPatient
-

This may not be what you are looking for, but I was very glad to have come across this recipe while looking for one for you! It is

for a self-saucing brown sugar spice cake and it looks like the kind of moist, easy cake I would love! I am from New England and

have also made Indian pudding in a crock pot for my extended family for Thanksgiving, though, so I may be unusual.

Nonetheless, someone else on Pricescope may like this recipe! It looks nifty! Self-saucing brown sugar spice cake!

Deb/AGBF
34.gif
If I were baking it for me, this would be it
18.gif
-- those pictures look so yummy. I''m printing it out and adding it to my growing stack of spice cake recipes to try.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grandma Stonesifer''s Spice Cake
From Country Living
Country Living senior editor Marjorie Gage shared the recipe for this moist, easy-to-make layer cake, adapted from a family favorite passed down by her husband''s great-grandmother, Mary Stonesifer, of York County, Pennsylvania.

Nutritional Information
(per serving)
Calories 460
Total Fat 23.3g
Saturated Fat --
Cholesterol 125.0mg
Sodium 265mg
Total Carbohydrate 57.7g
Dietary Fiber 0.80g
Sugars --
Protein 6.4g
Calcium --
Ann Stratton
Serves: 16

Yields: One 9-inch 2-layer cake
Oven Temp: 350

• Vegetable -oil cooking spray
• 1/2 cup(s) (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
• 1/2 cup(s) vegetable shortening
• 1 cup(s) (firmly packed) dark brown sugar
• 1 cup(s) granulated sugar
• 4 large eggs
• 1 1/4 cup(s) buttermilk
• 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
• 2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
• 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
• 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground allspice
• 1 tablespoon(s) Dutch-processed cocoa
• 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cloves
• 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
1. Prepare the cake pans: Lightly coat two 9-inch cake pans with cooking spray. Cut two 9-inch circles of parchment or waxed paper and fit them into the bottom of the cake pans. Lightly coat the paper circles with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Make the batter: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter and shortening until smooth. Add the sugars and mix until well blended. Add the eggs, one at a time , beating well after each addition, until the mixture is smooth and light. Set aside. In a 2-cup glass measure, stir the buttermilk and vanilla extract together. In another large bowl, sift to combine the baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cocoa, cloves, and flour. Set aside. By thirds, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the creamed butter mixture, blending well after each addition.
3. Bake the cake: Pour batter into the pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean -- 30 to 40 minutes. Cool the cakes completely on wire racks. Remove parchment from each layer.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spice Cake with Brown-Butter Frosting
From Good Housekeeping
This fine-grained three-layer cake, fragrant with notes of cinnamon and ginger, captures all the best flavors of the holidays.

Nutritional Information
(per serving)
Calories 525
Total Fat 24g
Saturated Fat 7g
Cholesterol 85mg
Sodium 370mg
Total Carbohydrate 73g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugars --
Protein 6g
Calcium --
Serves: 16

Total Time: 1 hr 30 min
Cook Time: 1 hr

Spice Cake
• 2 2/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
• 2 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
• 2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon(s) ground ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
• 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
• 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cloves
• 1 cup(s) packed dark brown sugar
• 1 cup(s) granulated sugar
• 1 cup(s) (2 sticks) margarine, softened, substitute butter
• 5 large eggs
• 1 cup(s) milk
Brown Butter Frosting
• 1/2 cup(s) (1 stick) butter
• 1 box(es) (16 ounces) confectioners'' sugar
• 1/4 cup(s) milk
• 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
• 1 cup(s) walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
2. Prepare Spice Cake: In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and cloves. In large bowl, combine both sugars, breaking up any lumps of brown sugar. Add margarine or butter and, with mixer at low speed, beat until blended, scraping bowl often with rubber spatula. Increase speed to medium; beat 4 minutes or until light and creamy, occasionally scraping bowl. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. At low speed, alternately add flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beat until blended.
3. Pour batter into pans and spread evenly. Stagger pans on 2 oven racks, so layers are not directly above one another. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of each layer comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Run small metal spatula or knife around edges of pans to loosen layers, invert onto wire racks and remove waxed paper. Cool layers completely.
4. Prepare Brown-Butter Frosting: In small skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat and cook until butter is golden-brown, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour butter into large bowl, cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
5. To cooled butter, add confectioners'' sugar, milk, and vanilla. With mixer at medium speed, beat ingredients until smooth. With mixer at high speed, beat frosting until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Makes about 2 1/3 cups.
6. Place 1 cake layer, rounded side down, on cake plate, spread with scant 1/2 cup frosting. Top with second cake layer, spread with another scant 1/2 cup frosting, then top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and side of cake with remaining frosting. With hand, press walnuts around side of cake. Refrigerate if not serving right away.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite molasses cookies recipe uses cloves, ginger, and cinnamon. One thing you might consider is the freshness of the spices you're using. Could you consider grinding your own cloves and cinnamon, and using fresh ginger? (A hydroplane works for grating fresh ginger, you do end up with more of a mush than grated bits, but it is mixable in a batter -- and the hydroplane can be used for so many other ingredients that it's a very worthwhile purchase). Or... add some finely chopped candied ginger to the batter!

ETA I just checked out some Dutch pastry recipes -- the Dutch colonized the "Spice Islands" and use spices in a lot of their recipes -- and I also noticed the following ingredients in some of the spiced cake recipes: nutmeg (be sure to grind your own!), allspice, and ground anise seed. Also one added just a touch of ground black pepper!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marbled Apple Spice Cake Recipe

4 cups Sliced apples (peeled and cored)
1 cup Sugar
1 Tb Flour
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 Tb Butter
2 Tb Water
1 Tb Lemon juice
2 1/4 cups Sifted flour
2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Ground ginger
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Shortening
1 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
2/3 cup Milk
1/4 cup Molasses
1/4 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground cloves
1/4 tsp Nutmeg

Oven Temp ~ 350° Baking Time ~ 50 - 60 Min.
Pan Type ~ 9 x 13 inch pan

Preheat oven, grease and flour pan.
Combine first seven ingredients together in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender. Pour into a prepared pan. Sift together the 2 1/4 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar; add eggs then beat for 1 minute.
Add alternately the milk and sifted dry ingredients. Place half of the batter in a second bowl. Blend in the last 5 ingredients. Spoon light and dark batters alternately over the apples.
Bake.
Invert onto a serving platter or rack covered with waxed paper. Serve warm or cold; top with whipped cream, if desired.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/4/2010 12:37:13 PM
Author: VRBeauty
My favorite molasses cookies recipe uses cloves, ginger, and cinnamon. One thing you might consider is the freshness of the spices you''re using. Could you consider grinding your own cloves and cinnamon, and using fresh ginger? (A hydroplane works for grating fresh ginger, you do end up with more of a mush than grated bits, but it is mixable in a batter -- and the hydroplane can be used for so many other ingredients that it''s a very worthwhile purchase). Or... add some finely chopped candied ginger to the batter!

That was probably one of the problems with the first one. The second one I baked for him had all fresh ground everything. It really helped.

Candied ginger. Hmmm. (need a little lightbulb emotie here). He would
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
candied ginger bits in whatever recipe I use. We have some in the kitchen...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/4/2010 12:47:38 PM
Author: TooPatient
Date: 6/4/2010 12:37:13 PM

Author: VRBeauty

My favorite molasses cookies recipe uses cloves, ginger, and cinnamon. One thing you might consider is the freshness of the spices you''re using. Could you consider grinding your own cloves and cinnamon, and using fresh ginger? (A hydroplane works for grating fresh ginger, you do end up with more of a mush than grated bits, but it is mixable in a batter -- and the hydroplane can be used for so many other ingredients that it''s a very worthwhile purchase). Or... add some finely chopped candied ginger to the batter!

That was probably one of the problems with the first one. The second one I baked for him had all fresh ground everything. It really helped.

Candied ginger. Hmmm. (need a little lightbulb emotie here). He would
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
candied ginger bits in whatever recipe I use. We have some in the kitchen...

On second thought, don''t chop that candied ginger too finely of he won''t know it''s in there.
2.gif

Good luck! let us know how it goes!

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Great recipes given
1.gif

This is the recipe I tried for a cake challenge. I used White Lily but any bleached all purpose will work. Make sure butter, eggs and sour cream are room temperature.

Spice 5 minute Challenge

In a medium bowl whisk:
2 1/2 C All purpose flour
1 ts Baking powder
1 ts Baking soda
1/2 ts salt
1 ts cinnamon
1 ts ginger [I used Simply organic, very powerful]
1/2 ts nutmeg
1/2 ts all spice
1/2 ts ground clove

In a small bowl mix:
1C Full fat Sour cream, room temperature
2 Tb molasses
3 Tb canola oil
1 ts vanilla

1 Stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 C sugar
3 large eggs room temperature, beaten lightly

Preheat oven to 350 F
Beat butter until light at medium speed [ 3 minutes] Gradually add sugar and continue beating for 5 minutes, be sure to stop once to scrape sides of the bowl, at the end of minute 5 it should be light in color.
Add beaten eggs a little at the time and beat on high until fluffy.
Using a large spatula fold a third of the flour mixture alternately with the Sour cream mixture, repeat and end with the last third of flour, keep in mind that you are only folding not mixing.
Yields 2- 8" layers and bake 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean or 21 cupcakes baked for aprox. 20 minutes.
After adding the eggs:

5 Minute Challenge.JPG

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
yummies:

Spice 5Minute.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were baking something, I would use butter, sour cream and brown sugar if at all possible. Also oats! (I don''t see any spice cake recipes that call for oats, however.) I want to keep this thread alive so that I can

keep looking at the ingredients. Spice cake may not be my favorite cake, but I love to search for recipes!

AGBF
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oatmeal Spice Cake
A dark spicy oatmeal cake with a sweet broiled coconut topping

Spice Cake Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup quick oats
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, softened or melted
1 cup water
2 eggs
2 tablespoons molasses

Coconut Topping Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoons light cream or whole milk

Instructions:
1. Measure all cake ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Blend 1/2 minute on low speed, and then for 3 minutes on high.

2. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool cake slightly.

3. To make coconut topping, melt butter in sauce pan. Add brown sugar and stir over medium heat until sugar is mostly dissolved. Add coconut, pecans, and cream. Spread topping over cake and broil cake for 2-3 minutes, until topping is bubbly and browned.

AGBF
34.gif

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Too late for me to edit. Recipe was adapted from WL bag and instead of the allspice I added 1/2 ts ground coriander.
AGBF, coconut topping sounds delicious, thanks for posting!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2010 10:46:39 AM
Author: Ninna
Too late for me to edit. Recipe was adapted from WL bag and instead of the allspice I added 1/2 ts ground coriander.
AGBF, coconut topping sounds delicious, thanks for posting!
Coriander would fit well there. Hmmm.

So many yummy sounding recipes....

I''m still torn on which one to do. I think I''m going to get ambitious here and make a few recipes. He can take cupcakes to work tomorrow and then have cake at home later.

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/7/2010 11:54:33 AM

I''m still torn on which one to do. I think I''m going to get ambitious here and make a few recipes. He can take cupcakes to work tomorrow and then have cake at home later.
Sorry we bombarded you with so many good recipes, not many people like spice cake around us. For company I tend to keep it simple:
1 ts cinnamon, 1ts ginger, 1/2 ts coriander and 1/2 ts allspice end product tastes similar to many mixes avail. Muffin tops make wonderful whoopie pies filled with almond icecream.
emotion-16.gif

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2010 3:13:53 PM

Date: 6/7/2010 11:54:33 AM

Sorry we bombarded you with so many good recipes, not many people like spice cake around us. For company I tend to keep it simple:
1 ts cinnamon, 1ts ginger, 1/2 ts coriander and 1/2 ts allspice end product tastes similar to many mixes avail. Muffin tops make wonderful whoopie pies filled with almond icecream.
emotion-16.gif

6.gif
18.gif

Recipe!!!

The problem around here is that shockingly few people bake. I''ve even been in the grocery store buying cake flour, cream cheese, molasses... with a recipe in my hand and had grown (like 20s-30s) people say that they have never tried a home made _______ (cake, cookies, bread...) before.
38.gif

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
People around here are big on grow/make your own, we can easily find mail order stuff at the store.
Not really a recipe, the original idea is by Nicole D. she fills hers with either fluff or cream cheese frosting, ours are taller because I use a full scoop of ice cream @.

Bake 1/3 C of your favorite batter into a well greased nonstick muffin-top pan [same used for hamburger buns] and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean--about 10 minutes-- cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Release from pan and cool completely.
**If no pan avail, just fill 1/3 of muffin tins, shape will be slightly different or slice cupcake crowns wth a serrated knife.
Place a baking sheet in the freezer.
Place 1 cupcake top flat side up on a piece of wax paper, add 1 scoop of lightly soften-good quality ice cream on top, add a cupcake top flat side down on top to sandwich the two together, now place a piece of wax paper on top and gently press down to flatten somewhat so that the ice cream comes just to the edge. **MAKE sure you use wax paper here or the cupcake top will stick to your hand and tear.

I make one sandwich at a time and transfer each to the baking sheet in the freezer as soon as it's completed. Freeze for an hour or two, then wrap each sandwich tightly in plastic wrap. Once these are frozen and wrapped, you can place them in a freezer bag, if you wish. Remove from freezer just before serving. There are, of course, all kinds of possibilities for serving these, including my favorite--Rolling the ice cream part on pecans or partial dip in chocolate.
Nichole's spice/cream cheese filling:

Spice-cheese ND.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2010 3:14:38 PM
Great recipes given
1.gif

This is the recipe I tried for a cake challenge. I used White Lily but any bleached all purpose will work. Make sure butter, eggs and sour cream are room temperature.

Spice 5 minute Challenge

In a medium bowl whisk:
2 1/2 C All purpose flour
1 ts Baking powder
1 ts Baking soda
1/2 ts salt
1 ts cinnamon
1 ts ginger [I used Simply organic, very powerful]
1/2 ts nutmeg
1/2 ts all spice
1/2 ts ground clove

In a small bowl mix:
1C Full fat Sour cream, room temperature
2 Tb molasses
3 Tb canola oil
1 ts vanilla

1 Stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 C sugar
3 large eggs room temperature, beaten lightly

Preheat oven to 350 F
Beat butter until light at medium speed [ 3 minutes] Gradually add sugar and continue beating for 5 minutes, be sure to stop once to scrape sides of the bowl, at the end of minute 5 it should be light in color.
Add beaten eggs a little at the time and beat on high until fluffy.
Using a large spatula fold a third of the flour mixture alternately with the Sour cream mixture, repeat and end with the last third of flour, keep in mind that you are only folding not mixing.
Yields 2- 8'' layers and bake 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean or 21 cupcakes baked for aprox. 20 minutes.
After adding the eggs:
18.gif
Wonderful recipe
18.gif

I got up at 5 this morning and made a double batch of this recipe (with the coriander you suggested) as cupcakes. FI is on his way to work with most of them now and we''ll see what the guys there think. He was very content with them -- "that is the spice I was looking for"

Followed your recipe with coriander instead of allspice and added a bit of cardamom too. All spices got ground fresh this morning. Frosted with the fluffy frosting I posted above (from the lemon/coconut cake at delish.com)

I''ll make a fresh batch this afternoon for a real birthday cake. Probably with the same frosting. Maybe with some sort of a caramel or brown butter frosting between layers?

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Glad you liked it TooPatient!
21.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results