shape
carat
color
clarity

Spessartite garnet ring project

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,
I wanted to start this thread to document my journey remodelling my engagement ring. I have a lovely 2.6ct spessartite garnet that I want to use in a ring recycling the gold and diamond from my current ring. The spessartite is a red orange and virtually eye clean.
I was thinking of a bezel or semi bezel setting and pairing the spessartite with a bezel 5mm round brilliant yellow green mali garnet.
Alternatively was also considering flush setting 3mm mali garnets or green tourmaline on either side of the spessartite.
Maybe putting some texture on the gold band and a polished bezel to contrast. Will post some more inspiration pics after. :mrgreen2:
20200115_153354.jpg

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
I've attached some pics I am using as inspiration, showing a semi bezel spessartite, the orange and green colours I would like and textured gold.
images.jpeg.jpg images.jpeg-2.jpg images.jpeg-3.jpg

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
In the picture you posted, the spess looks quite dark already, and may not be best-suited for a bezel. Have you tried putting tin foil around it and seeing how that alters the tone? If you're looking to mimic the orange/green colors in the inspiration picture, I would recommend trying to find a much lighter and brighter orange main stone.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Hi pokerface, I deliberately went for a slightly darker red orange spessartite as I personally prefer them over the v bright orange! I am also not particularly good at photographing stones! :lol-2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I’ll also be concerned that bezelling will darken the stone. Will you be fine with a darker stone after setting? If yes then completely fine of course

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You won't be able to re-use the gold (sadly). I know a lot of people like the idea, but 99% of jewelers will be honest and tell you that it's not possible to recycle gold because it isn't strong enough once worn.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Hi icyjade, Yes I am happy with a darker spessartite. It is my preference. I am thinking about a bezel but not fully enclosed to allow light in or a semi bezel. Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi lovedogs, the issue of reusing good is an interesting one. I have researched quite a lot of jewellers that do melt and recast higher carat good and some who don't. The good has sentimental value to me and I am working with a experienced jeweller who has talked me through the process. Many thanks!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Hi icyjade, Yes I am happy with a darker spessartite. It is my preference. I am thinking about a bezel but not fully enclosed to allow light in or a semi bezel. Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi lovedogs, the issue of reusing good is an interesting one. I have researched quite a lot of jewellers that do melt and recast higher carat good and some who don't. The good has sentimental value to me and I am working with a experienced jeweller who has talked me through the process. Many thanks!

Did you ever finish this project? I'd love to see it if so.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results