shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific diamond questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I posted in a previous post the specifications of a round brilliant diamond that I am interested in setting. However, as someone who has just started researching diamonds and spent hours on PS forums - I have a few specific questions.

-Crown angle of 33.5 is more 'shallow' than the traditional 34.5 degrees.
-The pavillion angle is also slightly lower than desired (e.g. if it was 40.8, it would return a much more 'ideal' cut).
-Star length 45% is also less than the norm.

I am interested to hear from the experts any opinions as to how this may affect the visual appearance of the diamond and also approximately how much a similar diamond would be in USD?

I suppose I am just seeking reassurance whether this is an exceptional cut or whether I should search for something better.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
as you said its a shallow/shallow, not something id be interested in for a ring but it might not be real bad depending on the lgf% and optical symmetry

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2006 11:17:48 AM
Author:tanalasta
I suppose I am just seeking reassurance whether this is an exceptional cut or whether I should search for something better.
Hi Tana. The chances are great that this is a stunning looking stone. It should have minimal light leakage, excellent white light return (brilliance) and excellent colored light return (fire).

The very slightly negative effects the 33.5/40.6 combination might produce is slightly less contrast between the "light-dark-light-dark" pattern of the stone, and a slightly darker appearance to the body of the stone in sunlight.

Whether these very slight characteristics show up or not under actual visual observation, and if so, to a point that it bothers you, could only be determined by personal viewing.

Again, it's probably a stunning looking diamond. These slightly "shallow-shallow" stones can often be real "screamers". Worth looking at, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results