shape
carat
color
clarity

Sparkly Blonde has a new (old) Sparkly!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I love antique and vintage things and when I saw this piece at the pawn shop I knew it had to come home with me! It is a transitional cut half carat diamond with two TINY transitional cut diamonds in the band. White gold head and accents with yellow gold shank. The poor thing was so dirty and the shank on the bottom was worn down to wire thin. I took it to my favorite jewelry store in town to have them polish it up and see about the cost to fix the shank. The cost to reshank the ring was almost as much as I had paid for it! However, they had a 950 2mm plat. band in their Vault Values for only $150 - wooohoooo. I grabbed that right up and had it soldered to the ering. Plus the plat band acts as a perfect spacer so that the head on the ering doesn''t wear on the wedding band. The wedding band is 14k two tone and stamped on the inside .25c (1/4 carat tdw). The amazing part was that when we put the diamonds under the 30x scope we could not find ANY inclusions in the main stone
9.gif
. The finger coverage is also quite excellent, probably due to the old style illusion head. So, does anybody have a guess what time frame this ring might be from? We were thinking 40''s ish?

and now....photos! I''m slowly getting better at these
5.gif

1ringsetoahgoeaihrewhwr.JPG

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Plat. band soldered to the original ering band.

2ringbandoeiawhr.JPG

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
The strange sizer thingys in it. They don''t seem to work anymore though
7.gif

3ringthingaoiehr.JPG

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
A bit of orange fire
10.gif

4orangefireaoiehar.JPG

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Small diamond fire

5smalldiamondfirewohear.JPG

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Drat! a hair!
29.gif

6hairfireoopaslohsd.JPG

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
a bit more side detail....

7sidedetailaoiehrar.JPG

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Wiping our paws
9.gif
before going in to charge the camera batteries
4.gif

8wipeyourpawslaidhf.JPG

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pretty!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Lovely!!
36.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
So pretty! Antique rings just have so much character. Nice find.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!! What a beautiful find!! It's sooo sparkly!!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Lovely!!!!!!!!!!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
OOOhhh I love your ring. What a fabulous find! Also, your kitty is adorable!!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I love illusion settings -- nice find! And your cat is adorable!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love vintage pieces. So pretty!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
It is beautiful!! I''d guess the 1940''s for era. You''ve made a great find!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very pretty! I'd love to see a macro photo of the stone. I love the setting, it's so fluid and lovely.

So, I love hearing about these pawn shop success stories. I have never had one! Was this just a regular old pawn shop (electronics up to ceiling, etc.) or was a jewelry-specific? I have clearly not been visiting the right ones!!!!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful rings!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gorgeous! I adore antique styles ....

charbie

Ideal_Rock
more pics, more pics, more pics!
i am also the proud owner of an illusion ring (my ering) which is of course similar to this. mine is from 1947. this setting was very popular from the 30''s-40''s. what a beautiful find!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 11:07:45 AM
Author: charbie
more pics, more pics, more pics!
i am also the proud owner of an illusion ring (my ering) which is of course similar to this. mine is from 1947. this setting was very popular from the 30''s-40''s. what a beautiful find!
LOL! I will work on it! I dropped my loupe yesterday and it broke apart
39.gif
I loved it as it was a 30x instead of a 10x. I''ll try for some good indoor ones tonight *crosses fingers*
3.gif

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 10:04:10 AM
Author: Loves Vintage
It's very pretty! I'd love to see a macro photo of the stone. I love the setting, it's so fluid and lovely.

So, I love hearing about these pawn shop success stories. I have never had one! Was this just a regular old pawn shop (electronics up to ceiling, etc.) or was a jewelry-specific? I have clearly not been visiting the right ones!!!!
Both. The jewelry specific one that I like has an excellent, jewelry knowledgeable staff and I would recommend them to anybody shopping for a piece. Their prices tend to be 1/2 to 3/4 of what retail would be. The one I found this set at has a nice set up, like a super mini department store, and I expect to pay about 15% to 30% of retail for these pieces. The other not so nice looking ones sometimes have an amazing piece in them, but they're few and far between as they don't pay much and usually don't know what they have (which is great for me!). The only bad things about pawn shopping is that I find something everytime I go
3.gif
and after doing it for quite some time it makes justifying paying retail nearly impossible for me
40.gif
DVD's are another great item at $1 to $5 each
10.gif

Skye, my kitty, will ask to be let outside just so he can sharpen his claws on the mat then come right back in
20.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
That two tone style with illusion head was very popular in the ''40s. I''d probably guess c.WWII era. I am a huge fan of illusion heads, my first e-ring had one. Great find!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results