shape
carat
color
clarity

south sea pearls

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i know this is the diamond nut section
face23.gif
..........however it also gets the most activity................

QUESTION
--anyone know a good place for top quality SOUTH SEA PEARLS.........in search of a matched pair for earrings. i want thE very best and am looking for a place with competitive prices
thanks in advance

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen this thread ?

And these... link to cherry pearls With no consistent grading or pricing, this is an exercise in telling which seller is better to trust, IMO. The "very best" is either size or luster as far as I know, hardly ever both - so if no rebate from the absolute tops is ok, you're in for a hunt
2.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Would Garry H (Cut Nut) be a possible source?

cheers--Sharon

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
sharon

does garry do things besides diamonds?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI WS:

I recall perusing his website some time ago and observing several wonderful custom (and award winning?) pieces which included/featured pearls in the deisgn. I acknowledge that pearls, like other gemstones, can be imported to most any dealer anyhere--but I thought given his location he may have a particular trusted source with the fine quality merchandise you seek. Can''t hurt to ask!
Happy searching.

cheers--Sharon

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
thanks!--anyone know the name of his website?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Precious Metals is the name of his company. www.preciousmetals.com

cheers--Sharon

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
windowshopper,
Stuller and Paspaley have formed a distribution partnership in the couple of years and Stuller now has a dedicated Pearl catalog. This means that anyone who buys from them has access to some really top quality South Seas pearls. Check out http://www.stuller.com and click on "Pearls" on the left side. As far as pricing, well some folks will discount from their list prices and some won''t...just ask around and see who''ll make you a deal.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2005 12:58:16 PM
Author: Michael_E

Stuller and Paspaley have formed a distribution partnership in the couple of years and Stuller now has a dedicated Pearl catalog.
I wanted to ask about these pearls for ages... The catalog uses a few quality classes topped by "statement". Anyone seen what these look like ? Paspaley is quite a name by themselves, and the partnership beggs the queston if the rarefied brand has just unloaded the more easily marketable things
20.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Valeria
What are you saying? DO you mena they are selling junk? Paspaley is high end yet stuller lower end? I emailed them with a request? I will let you know the response

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2005 2:10:38 PM
Author: windowshopper
Valeria
What are you saying? DO you mean they are selling junk?
No such sbtle things... I really do not know Stuller since they are wholesale only, so I was asking for just about the same as you.

I am not familiar at all with the Stuller program and their quality grades. Obviously these are not standard but specific to Paspaly (as usual with pearls), I was hoping to hear from someone who touched the product.

Paspaley (LINK) has it's own high end jewelry brand. Their "quality matrix" sales tool is explained under "wholesale" on the Paspaley Site. That part is crystal clear, but I never seen the various types labeled. There is no reason I know of not to trust their consistency. It feels funny saying this really, since I am by no means an expert and this is a very famous pearl maker.
37.gif

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Southsea pearls are a complex subject. May I recommend the Colored Stone website: http://www.colored-stone.com/stories/books/books.cfm. You will find a chapter on South Seas Pearls including a couple of photographs excerpted from my Secrets Of The Gem Trade, The Connoisseur''s Guide To Precious Gemstones. This should help give you a basic understanding of the parameters of quality in this gemstone.

I visited Paspaley''s showroom in Darwin last March and they do indeed sell very fine pearls (wholesale to jewelers) but as wholesalers they cover the gamut from fair to fine. Stuller does not receive the very finest, these are reserved for their best dealers and Paspaley''s yearly Hong Kong auction.

If you have further questions contact me via my website:
www.rwwise.com

Richard W. Wise

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Window Shopper,

The web address has .au on the end
www.preciousmetals.com.au

As we have discussed in PM''s I do make some lovely South Sea and tahitian black drop pendants and earrings.
My website does not have much up-to-date images - we have not touched it for about 4 years - that is a project for 2005.

If you are really keen I could mail you a catalogue with a few styles. our prices are pretty good, but not dirt cheap.

But the bigger problem is that the cost of sending to and fro if you do not like the goods etc - it is all rather difficult etc

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Hi Window Shopper,

I am a long-time lurker but this is my first post -- a couple of years ago, my husband bought me a south sea pearl pendant from American Pearl (americanpearl.com). I get compliments on it all the time and it is very beautiful (10mm, nice silvery color).

I honestly don''t know how competitive their prices are since I don''t have much experience with south seas. However, we had bought a tahitian black pearl in Moorea and American Pearl''s prices for tahitians seemed right on. I have also looked at their akoya strands and they seem to be well priced.

They are located in NYC. My husband works in NYC so he was able to go to their showroom and hand-pick the pearl.

Good luck!

Catherine

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen quite a few places sell the Tahitian pearls online as well. There are grades of pearls and they can match them for you or not.

Personally, having seen pearls in person when we were in Tahiti and buying a pre-matched pair....it''s very hard to see nuances between the grades...I think the grades are something like A,B,C,D. I have an A and a C I think and honestly the two look the same to me!

I posted about my pearls in this forum in end of May I think, that thread also spurred some discussion on pearls, so maybe that info would help. Good luck!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perles de Tahiti has a very informative buyers guide which explains how Tahitian Pearls are graded.

bracher

Rough_Rock
Dear Richard,

Thank you for visiting our retail shop in Darwin, Australia.

I believe there has been a communication error regarding comments made to you about Paspaley''s distribution. You say that our best pearls are reserved for our own retail stores, auctions and best dealers, and that Stuller does not receive the finest. In fact, the Stuller Paspaley partnership receives priority over our auctions and spot dealers. Several of our best categories of pearl have been pulled entirely from the auctions in order to meet our commitment to the Stuller Paspaley distribution. Of course, our retail stores in Australia also receive priority.

Regards,

Michael Bracher

Manager - Pearl Distribution
Paspaley Pearls

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
AMERICAN PEARL!!!!!
link to American Pearl

I have been very pleased with everything I have ordered from them. Even the less pricey items. The pearls are very carefully graded. Their selection and options are amazing. Education excellent. Check out their price chart: american pearl vs mikimoto, it's amazing.

I bought my Mother a pair of 9mm AA White Silver Overtone Japanese Akoya Earrings for Christmas, people constantly STARE and ask about them when she wears them.

Please check it out.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Michael,

My apologies and thanks for setting the record straight. It is important not to give to much creedence to industry gossip. As for your Darwin store, I had the priviledge of examining the finest pair of white southsea pearls I have ever seen. The salon was beautiful as were the two sales women. I had hoped to meet with some of your people but alas it was saturday and the ship stayed for only a few hours.

I am hoping to get back before doing the second edition of my book

Cheers,

Richard W. Wise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results