shape
carat
color
clarity

South Sea Pearls

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkshoes

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with buying South Sea Pearls on line.
Any place in particular that you''ve shopped at and trust? And good deals of course!
Thanks!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven''t bought pearl online...

Showing accurate photos is mission impossible ... lab reports few and far between and judging quality a rarefied art (IMO). With the little I know, second day after receiving pearls I''d hit an appraiser''s shop for professional evaluation and advice. In all this, the seller''s contribution remains their reputation and return policy.

There doesn''t seem to be any difference in how $500 and $5000 apiece pearls are presented for sale.
11.gif
At worst, both look nice new, leaving you to guess which is made of what. Scarry business, at least to me.

If this sounds way off, you may want to look down this link to the related article in Richard Wise''s book
34.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I second Val''s advice. I researched pearls before i bought a single 13mm Golden South Sea pearl. I educated myself as much as I could absorb before I looked. I just happened to be in Kauai last year and saw the 13mm set in a pendant slide. I loved it and bought it. While I was there I visited a few pearl places. The good ones were all nice but I assumed a bit overpriced. I probably paid too much for the 13mm, but I loved it and it was a birthday gift from my husband.

Hubby went to China after we bought the 13mm and he had instructions not to come home without pearls, so we had pearl school before he left! Through my research I found a "somewhat reliable" pearl trader in Bejing that he bought from. He had a local with him who also felt comfortable with this vendor. But he was buying freshwater cultured, not South Sea pearls. The freshwater pearls are getting better every year due to advances in the their farming techniques. I love the strand he bought - 10-12mm, high luster, white with pink undertones, very very small imperfections on the surfaces. A great substitute for the South Sea pearls I love.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2004 10:20:39 AM
Author: Ann

Through my research I found a ''somewhat reliable'' pearl trader in Bejing that he bought from. He had a local with him who also felt comfortable with this vendor. But he was buying freshwater cultured, not South Sea pearls.
Any time m''am !
4.gif

TissueNucleatedFreshWaterPearls.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Is it possible to "cube" Ana''s sound adivice? Anyway, getting the nuance of the coloring described verbally/in text is very tricky I found. The problem wasn''t with the "darker" shaded pearls (blacks, greys) as much as with the whites and golden hues--as the interpretation is very subjective. Nothwithstanding how the pearls are photograhped is an issue (and has already been addressed), although Ana''s post shows very well.

Good luck--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results