shape
carat
color
clarity

South Sea Pearl Custom Earrings Question/Help

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi-

I am looking to purchase around 12mm White South Sea Pearl Earrings that are able to move/dangle on a French wire clip with either tourmaline stones or emerald cut Diamonds incorporated. (I will attach photos).

I saw these at our local jeweler who is known for his incredible quality (along w extreme price tags). The price for the ones w tourmalines are $10k (I would swap out the gray Tahitian for the white). Is this price acceptable? If not, what would be a ball park for very good quality pearls of that size and great luster?

These are the actual earrings I went to see. The other photo of the EC Diamond and pearl are from an Instagram account in Australia. I would also love to get the cost for something like that. Thank you as always for your help.

330C8F8E-0ED3-4ECA-B560-18920546EB9E.jpeg

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi-

I am looking to purchase around 12mm White South Sea Pearl Earrings that are able to move/dangle on a French wire clip with either tourmaline stones or emerald cut Diamonds incorporated. (I will attach photos).

I saw these at our local jeweler who is known for his incredible quality (along w extreme price tags). The price for the ones w tourmalines are $10k (I would swap out the gray Tahitian for the white). Is this price acceptable? If not, what would be a ball park for very good quality pearls of that size and great luster?

These are the actual earrings I went to see. The other photo of the EC Diamond and pearl are from an Instagram account in Australia. I would also love to get the cost for something like that. Thank you as always for your help.

330C8F8E-0ED3-4ECA-B560-18920546EB9E.jpeg
Here is the other one… ACC5E518-BE06-42E9-8241-A111687EAEC6.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the first pair articulated at all?

It looks like the second pair permits directional motion - pearls can swing side to side, but not front to back?

Luster is the most valued quality characteristic after shape - which means that incrementally improving luster costs more than incrementally improving other characteristics. 10k sounds very doable for “great luster” 11-12mm WSS in relatively simple settings. Jumping to the 12-13mm size bracket may require some compromise on the pearls. But just how “good” or “great” do you want these pearls to be? Or maybe a better question is what your budget for this project is? That cliched 80/20 rule does still apply here - a customer will pay dearly for perfection, and price will decrease exponentially as customer flexibility increases. And most American buyers hit that “value for money” point well before they reach the top of the quality scale with those eye-watering prices.

Top WSS are more pricey than Tahitians of equivalent size and quality so I would not expect the pearl swap in the original design to maintain cost equivalence.

I’d suggest taking a look through the last page or two of the recommended vendors thread, and checking their websites/IGs out. That’ll give you a pretty broad perspective on what’s out there right now. I’m hesitant to make specific vendor recommendations without knowing a bit more about exactly why you want ::)

Last edited:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Seems expensive, even for a bench jeweller maker (see this website https://www.gemporia.com/en-gb/jewellery/?q=tahitian-pearl-earrings)
You might do better to source your pearls and stones yourself and then commission a bench jeweller to make them exactly for you

Thanks so much. I did just that! I’m getting .30 each EC diamonds (F/G) VS and w 10mm SSP on a gold euro clasp. It was $3k. I selected the pearls and diamonds. I’ll post when I get them. Thanks again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results