shape
carat
color
clarity

Source of Radiant Cut Sapphires?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, I've been trying to find an eye clean, medium dark, moderately saturated radiant cut blue sapphire between 1.5 to 2 carats for a while now as a center stone for an e-ring, I don't mind either heat treated or natural (but not chemical and other treatments).

I've visited and emailed queries to the websites people have helpfully posted on this site but so far no luck. I've received many responses saying that either they do not have it in stock or it has to be especially cut. The only website that seemed to have something like this is The Natural Sapphire Company, but I was hoping to do some comparisons.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also I'm close to the Jewelry District in Los Angeles, does anyone know any vendors there who might carry this type of stones?

Thank you!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m guessing that you''re going to have a hard time coming up with any radiant cut gemstones. Do you have a problem with getting something custom cut?

In my experience, there isn''t usually an obligation to buy if you don''t like what someone cuts. I''ve had 7 stones custom cut for me, and bought only 3 of those. That, of course, should be discussed before the stone is cut.

I think the closest you''re going to come to getting a radiant is getting an elongated rectangular cushion. I''ve been looking at gemstones just about everyday for the past year, and can''t think of seeing any radiant cut anything. The problem is, radiants just aren''t that popular of a cut, in diamonds or in gemstones, and if the demand isn''t there, the supply won''t be there either.

So if I were you, I''d really start considering getting something custom cut.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
The Natural Sapphire Company is the only online vendor I've found with a decent amount of radiant cut sapphires... I tried many local B&M's and they came up with absolutely nothing or tried to pass off an emerald cut as radiant. Ultimately I decided to go with a cushion cut sapphire for my e-ring.

White's Gems has a beautiful 1.79 ct blue sapphire, not exactly radiant cut, but absolutely gorgeous: http://www.whitesgems.com/gems/SAP011.htm

ETA: What dimensions are you looking for? This gives us a better idea of the size you're looking for rather than carat weight (e.g. 5x7 mm).

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Frekechild and Inanna, I will look into both of your suggestions.

I was looking for something 5x7mm, I have relatively small hands, it''s a real shame there''s no demand for the radiant, they seem to sparkle so well.

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
My fiancé ended up buying me the stone from Whites Gems and we had it set in a custom design three stone ring with 2 trapezoid diamonds. I absolutely love it! I found a B&M in the LA jewelery district called Inta Gems that had a good gemstone selection if anyone is interested.

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
Looking forward to the pics! Pls don''t forget to share (pics, proposal story, etc.).

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/26/2008 12:53:22 PM
Author: brendaman
Looking forward to the pics! Pls don''t forget to share (pics, proposal story, etc.).
ditto! Especially as I was looking for a radiant sapph awhile back and was told that the ''original radiant'' was really only specified for diamonds, and that''s why it''s hard to find a radiant in a gemstone. Specifically what I''d been seeing were princesses with their corners cut off...obviously not the same amount of sparkle. So, please tell/show us your cut!! :)

-rachel

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/26/2008 1:15:36 PM
Author: newsboysgrl777

Date: 12/26/2008 12:53:22 PM
Author: brendaman
ditto! Especially as I was looking for a radiant sapph awhile back and was told that the ''original radiant'' was really only specified for diamonds, and that''s why it''s hard to find a radiant in a gemstone. Specifically what I''d been seeing were princesses with their corners cut off...obviously not the same amount of sparkle. So, please tell/show us your cut!! :)

-rachel

Totally agree with you Rachel, the stone I got from Whites Gems was described as an octagonal mix cut, and some jewelers I went to called it emerald cut, but no matter, I love it anyway. I was a little nervous about getting the stone online, but my FI told me the transaction was very smooth and the stone was exactly as described, deep blue in sunlight, blue-purple under incandescent light and violet-blue under florescent light
9.gif

Here are some pictures.

IMG_1449.jpg

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that came out much bigger than I expected!

jjdav_1458.jpg

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Last one

jjdav_1461.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results