shape
carat
color
clarity

SOS!! Cushion Cut Setting Help Needed Desperately!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kippy

Rough_Rock
Ok, I''m brand new here, and I''m desperate for your expertise! I thought until today that I wanted a pave setting to go around my cushion cut stone ( see pic for example) But, I just saw the stone today and it is soooo perfect and I''m sooo thrilled and in love with him-- and the stone, too!) It is 2.23 carats, E color and I feel so lucky I can''t even tell you!

The dilemma: The jeweler strongly reccomended that I not go with the pave around the stone, because the stone is substantial and beautiful, etc. and it should stand more on its own.

Does anyone have advice/thoughts/suggestions on how it could be set? I know I want a relatively thin platinum band-- but that is all I know!

I need to figure this out because I think he wants to propose on our vacation in August!

Thanks in advance-- I truly appreciate it!

Ring_1.jpg

love rocks

Rough_Rock
Nice stone! (and setting).

With a 2.23 cushion, I would DEFINATELY go with something WITHOUT pave around it like that. The reason I say that is because personally, I think that it would look way too big (and maybe a little gawdy) with the pave's all around like that for a larger-sized stone like the one you have.

The pave around the center stone make it look bigger, I think this would work better if, say, you had a .5 ct stone, and wanted it to look a bit more substantial.

Also, I think the beauty of the cushion would be better served by a simple pave band and nothing else around it (except perhaps smaller side stones, if you like that sort of thing).

That's just my opinion, though, but definately try to see the cushion or another diamond of your size in a setting similar to the one you're thinking of before deciding!

congrats! (I LOOOOVE cushions!!)
21.gif
(green with envy)

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
I think it'll take over your finger like that, with the extra pave (especially thick pave). Perhaps some sidestones, pave on the band, or filligree/engraving?

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
This is a nice setting, which has an asscher cut diamond in it- it has pave on the band, but the stone sits alone. I think that this might highlight your stone, while adding a little of the sparkle that you may have been looking for in the prior setting.

Pretty prongs on asscher.JPG

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
Why not have the cushion set UP above the mountings...like this..

cushioncut.jpg

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Some of these settings for ovals would also look great with a cusion-cut stone

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-oval-ring.17497/

this was one I was thinking of in particular:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-abazias-experience.14514/

or with pears instead of trills:
https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/3stone10.jpg

reena

Ideal_Rock
this is interesting: i'm also hoping to get a 2-ish carat cushion cut and am thinking i want to set it in a platinum micropave setting, with the micropave around the stone as well as on the band. essentially, i would like something similar to the michael b setting that can be found at:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-tiffany-art-deco-style-rings-and-others.14618/ (bottom left setting in top post).

at first i also worried that the pave would be "too much"--but then i went and tried a bunch of these rings on in person (including the MB) and they actually looked classy and gorgeous. the stones in the rings i tried on were 2+ carat (although the pave around the stone was smaller than in the picture you posted) and i didn't think they looked "too big" at all on my (size 4.5)finger.

point being, if you havent done so already, it might be worth a shot to try a few on in person before making a decision.

musette

Rough_Rock
Hi Kippy & Reena!

Try looking at the rings in the gallery at the 23rd Street Jewelers (only place I shop!):

http://www.23rdstreetjewelers.com/gallery.html

This is my favorite one (and it has a 2.51c as the center stone):

http://www.23rdstreetjewelers.com/images/rings/kbasscher.jpg

I think there are a couple of beautiful cushion cuts on that page framed with pave diamonds.

They are a custom high-end jewelry shop in Santa Monica, CA and carry antique-style (especially Edwardian-inspired pieces) pave framed gemstones and pave bands. They work with many designers, and are a Michael B. retailer. In fact, all their saleswomen are designers...

Deborah

reena

Ideal_Rock
you're right, they're absolutely gorgeous! thanks for the link.

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
I am looking for a cushion around that size as well. I think I am going to go for basket set, with pave on the band. I've seen many 2+ cts with very small pave around the stone, and IMO it doesn't look like too much. I agree that it's worth trying, if you like that look.

I have never particularly liked that look (for me), but recently I have been tempted to go for it, because of the beautiful settings I've seen...

How did you find a cushion anyway? Do you have any tips about what the specs for a nice cushion would be? We can't find a nice one! Please post pictures when you can.

Happy setting shopping.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Diamonds by Bree, where did you get the pic of that setting?
love.gif
I've seen it before & i've always wondered where it came from... it's simply beautiful! Thank you.....
1.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
where oh where did you get your stone??????????????

ceetee

Rough_Rock
Hi
I have a 2.2 carat cushion cut with a very thin pave band. I posted a thread on it back in January- if you search on my user name it should come up- sorry but I dont know how to link. I orignally wanted pave around the stone also-but I went with a very thin bead set band and the stone just "pops".

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is truly gorgeous ceetee!
love.gif

Here's the LINK.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results