shape
carat
color
clarity

sores from expander

DebJ

Rough_Rock
A week and a half ago my daughter got an expander.

She was great with it at first....

until she came to me today with little red-ish/white-ish sores on her tongue.

She also has another very painful sore on her right inside cheek due to the expanders connection to her tooth.

I have no clue what to do.

Please give me answers!!!!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably canker sores, also known as apthous ulcers. The can pop up any time there is an abrasion in the mouth - that seems to trigger them for a lot of people, although some just get them for no apparent reason. They are VERY painful.

You might want to go out and google them. It''s been a long time since I have had one or researched it. There are several remedies floating around out there....I keep having L-lysine float into my brain, and my mom used to use a topical product called Zilactin-B, an OTC stuff you apply. I personally have used this, and it''s not as freaky or painful as it sounds, BUT you have to do it early..... Take a bit of cayenne pepper and salt, mix in your palm, wet a finger, get some on there and then hold it against the sore for as long as you can. Do this about once every 20 minutes or so, obviously NOT in public: people think you''re really weird otherwise.
2.gif
I''m not sure how it works but I think the salt and cayenne effectively desiccate the area and stops the process. Just a guess. It worked for me. And I must say again, it must be done BEFORE the ulcer opens. After that, it''s much to painful to do.

Not sure about the sores on her tongue. Canker sores are usually a cheek/gum thing, so...

I hope your daughter gets some relief. Sounds pretty miserable for sure.
7.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
The ortho should have given her or at least recommended wax. They sell it in a little flat container (at least they did when I used it) and you can peel a bit off and mold it around the metal part that is bothering you. You obviously have to take it off to eat but otherwise you can wear it all day. It gives the sores an opportunity to heal and not be irritated.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I will be honest, the roof expander was the most painful thing I have ever experienced. I did get canker sores, but it also gave me a lot of inflammations bad that the top of my mouth turned white, so be aware, it may not all be canker sores. I do get them and they do hurt. I get them far less now that I take lysine every day. It is an amino acid and for reasons I have never understood, really helps prevent them. For the ones she already has, she might try swishing milk of magnesia around in her mouth for a few minutes. Never did much for me, but the people it works for it really helps a lot.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results