shape
carat
color
clarity

Sometimes I’m curious...

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168, that’s the nice thing about PS, lots of inspiration, it can be dangerous at times!

@Bluemuse, I don’t frequent RockyTalk much either but mainly because I don’t know anything about ideal cuts so don’t really have the knowledge to contribute anything meaningful.

@MMtwo, Hangout was so much more lively before the ban but some interesting things get posted there so I still stop in. The pearl forum has taught me a lot, like I never knew there were “gem quality” pearls, I just thought a pearl is a pearl.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@dk168, that’s the nice thing about PS, lots of inspiration, it can be dangerous at times!

@Bluemuse, I don’t frequent RockyTalk much either but mainly because I don’t know anything about ideal cuts so don’t really have the knowledge to contribute anything meaningful.

@MMtwo, Hangout was so much more lively before the ban but some interesting things get posted there so I still stop in. The pearl forum has taught me a lot, like I never knew there were “gem quality” pearls, I just thought a pearl is a pearl.

Right? Those gem pearls are something else. I cannot afford to buy some of the finest necklaces and so on, but I sure can appreciate them!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unlike most I have little inclination to buy “new” or “create”. Maybe it’s because I’m tight fisted!
I have always adored a good buy, I have always adored the craftsmanship in antique and vintage jewellery. To me the quality of the gems is secondary to the intrinsic beauty of an older piece.
I dont mind at all a wonky cut or a few little chips or abrasions to stones due to living wear, they add to the history.
Mostly I mourn the “falling out of favor” of watches. Thanks to mobile phones, who needs a wristwatch!
Back in the day, receiving a watch was a momentous occasion. Perhaps for a 21st or wedding, very often as a retirement gift after decades of service. It was a special and valued gift to receive as It was practical as well as potentially a glamorous piece of jewellery. Hidden watch faces, diamond sprinkled, intricate engraving, mixture of metals, enamel, precious gems, even “tricks” to amuse.
I have a large collection of ladies cocktail watches which I treasure and am thankful that I saved them from the melting pot!
so yes, I love the antique and Vintage threads.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357, you have an amazing collection and I know you have gotten some fantastic deals but you also have helped so many people navigate buying on EBay. We would be lost without you!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 --I know you love watches.
Did you see my Georgian watch parts necklace
Post #40

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I will work on it!

I will drop this photo for now. It's not done yet and I don't yet have it. We are finalizing some finishing on it.

Screenshot_20210208-184819.jpg Screenshot_20210208-184813.jpg

WOW!!!!!!! Who is doing that for you? Omg it’s so beautiful.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I feel like the antique posts overlap with show me the bling since gorgeous old cuts deserve a place in show me the bling. Also questions about settings etc. could go in Rocky Talky. So basically there is a lot of overlap. Anyway @elizat that piece needs to be seen!!!!! I want to know more about it!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I'm late to this but still wanted to answer. I actually love this section very much. I just don't generally participate much of anywhere except a bit in fashion jewellery and some hang out or to ooh and ahh in other peoples threads. I don't have much expertise in any of the different sections so so I prefer keeping my mouth shut generally and sticking to oooh-ing and ahhh-ing and stuff lol. The antiquing threads are some of my favourites to look through. You guys find some much awesome stuff!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader, I gotta say that I’m really glad I started this thread because out of it Elizat’s thread was born! Now we get to see all her treasures!

@MMtwo, that’s how I feel about Rocky Talk! I have no clue about ideal cut parameters and what angles compliment each other. Old cuts are easier :)

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
I discovered antique jewelry through PS a few years ago and have loved it ever since but I am a lurker mostly . You can see some of my pieces in the preloved forum (I get bored easily & love hunting treasures ). I visit this forum first daily and get exited if I see a new post .

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I spend 90% of my time in CS because that’s where my interest is, and what I consider myself to mainly collect. But I do adore antiques and lurk here a lot. Some of my early buys were small pieces billed as being from the art noveau period, but the problem is I am not knowledgeable enough to know if they are repro or not. In any case, my items are pretty modest.

Besides here, I will watch the SMTB and the Fashion Jewelry forums. I am very seldom in Rocky Talk, Lab Diamonds, Hangout/Cafe (unless an interesting thread shows up on my screen), and I never go to Pearls (I’ve tried pearls and they are not really for me).

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@jeweln, boy do I hear you on getting bored, plus it’s so fun to treasure hunt. We went to the pawn shops yesterday and my older son remarked that he was surprised I didn’t buy anything as I always seem to find something :)

@peacechick, I’ve been fooled by a reproduction before, not that I’m an expert. I enjoy looking at pearls but to wear? I don’t think they go with my daily uniform of sweatpants and hoodie. Love your avatar photo!

collier

Shiny_Rock
I go to preloved first (I've missed some amazing pieces!!!!!)

Then to this forum

then colored stones

Most of my pieces are great buys, antiques and colored so it fits with my collection.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I love this section but seldom have anything to contribute. I just check whatever was recent. I do have a few old cut threads bookmarked but they are in SMTB or RT.

Someone made a good point earlier that we all seem to love old cuts at the moment but not antique jewellery.

I was recently looking at upgrading my engagement ring and while I would have absolutely loved an antique setting, it was hard to find a decent centre stone.

Maybe we could give this forum a bit more love and keep it more active lol I've got some wish list items.. maybe an antique diamond half hoop or similar and will definitely remember to post here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results