shape
carat
color
clarity

Something blue?

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies!

Posting in another thread, I realized that I haven't yet figured out my "something blue" and am looking for suggestions/ideas! I know popular ideas include shoes or jewelry, but my shoes are gold and I don't think I can do any additional jewelry. I'd like to steer clear of a blue garter if I can come up with something else, but I suppose that'll be my last resort.

So, what is/was YOUR something blue? Anything neat you've seen that other people have done?

TIA!! :wavey:

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
My Grandmother was (and still is) my most favorite person in the whole world. She passes away about a month after we had gotten engaged, but I still needed her with me on my wedding day. I took a piece of fabric from a robe she wore all the time and had it sewn into the back of my dress in a heart shape. While this is definitely on display on my own dress (exactly how I wanted it) you can always sew something in (like your wedding date, perhaps) on the inside of your dress somewhere towards the hem. I also carried a blue vintage hankie. I gave all of my girls a vintage hankie in their gifts, so they had theirs too! :)

something_blue.jpg

something_blue_2.jpg

something_blue_3.jpg

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Stacy, you pictures are gorgeous! You look so happy! I love the heart, what a sweet tribute. We need more pictures! I don't think you ever posted your pro pics, did you?

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
blacksand|1353358544|3310374 said:
Stacy, you pictures are gorgeous! You look so happy! I love the heart, what a sweet tribute. We need more pictures! I don't think you ever posted your pro pics, did you?

Aww! Thank you so much! We really love them too! I haven't added any extra pro pics from to the ones I have already posted on here, but these were a few more. Tell you what, I will add a few more to my thread by the end of the week :) I need to go through all 440 :o of them and pick out the best ones for you lovely ladies!! :D

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I had neon blue toe nails. :)

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Stacy- Wow, what an amazing tribute!! That is so awesome! I think right now the idea of having something sewn into my dress is leading the pack, someone else suggested it to me recently and it's my favorite idea so far. And yes, your photos are gorgeous, show us more!!

Rosebloom- That sounds like fun! Any pictures? :naughty: Normally I might do something like that, but my shoes are gold and open toed and I'm just not feeling an ivory/gold/blue color combination.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had small blue sapphires in my pearl earrings and in my pearl cluster ring. I also wore light blue underwear, but only a couple of people saw that (DH and probably the girls in my bridle party). :)

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I had close toe shoes so it was just a little secret for me and DH. But I also had a sapphire engagement ring which was my "public" something blue.

asscher-engagement

Rough_Rock
How about a peacock feather hair ornament? I think for me, it will either be that or blue undies.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
I've seen people stitch their wedding date on the inside hem of their dress in blue thread, and think that's adorable. :) good luck

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore a blue garter, as my dress was an antique gold colour, and the wedding had touched of chocolate brown and pale pink, so I didn't really feel that something easily visible in blue would work. Although it was pretty easy to spot when DH did the garter throw! :bigsmile: It was also my 'something borrowed' as it was the garter mum wore on her wedding day.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I wore a blue garter as well (I'm a Unversity of Michigan Alum) and had my grandmother's engagement ring (my avatar), which I reset with a sapphire, on my right hand.

She doesn't post frequently, but Stephb0lt's veil was made by Claritek, and C sewed a little blue seedbeed into one of the flowers since Steph didn't yet have a something blue. You can see the veil here, a little more than halfway down the page. IIRC, the top-most flower was the one with the blue bead in the center so that it wasn't incredibly visible, but still there if you knew where to look!

Another no-longer-frequent poster, Hudson_Hawk, painted the outsoles of her wedding shoes a bright blue.

I love the idea of embroidering your wedding date into the hem/underskirt of your dress. You could also go for those stickers you can put on the soles of your shoes that say "I Do" in a blue color...

Or for something very small and secret, how about painting a single bobby pin with blue nailpolish and having your stylist slip it in somewhere?

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Great ideas, ladies, thanks so much for your input!!

vc10um|1353615034|3313001 said:
I wore a blue garter as well (I'm a Unversity of Michigan Alum) and had my grandmother's engagement ring (my avatar), which I reset with a sapphire, on my right hand.

That is lovely! I also love the sentiment!

She doesn't post frequently, but Stephb0lt's veil was made by Claritek, and C sewed a little blue seedbeed into one of the flowers since Steph didn't yet have a something blue. You can see the veil here, a little more than halfway down the page. IIRC, the top-most flower was the one with the blue bead in the center so that it wasn't incredibly visible, but still there if you knew where to look!

Funny you should mention this, C has just agreed to make my veil as well! The veil she made for Steph is amazing, and maybe I can have her do something similar on mine..

Another no-longer-frequent poster, Hudson_Hawk, painted the outsoles of her wedding shoes a bright blue.

I love the idea of embroidering your wedding date into the hem/underskirt of your dress. You could also go for those stickers you can put on the soles of your shoes that say "I Do" in a blue color...

I LOVE those "I Do" stickers and I would totally have gone for that idea, but I'll be wearing a pair of Manolo Blahniks and I'm very hesitant to start putting stickers on them. I'm a shoe whore and don't like sticky stuff near them.

I probably would have gone with the date embroidery before you mentioned the veil thing, it was my favorite idea until then! I won't take it off the table just yet, though.

Or for something very small and secret, how about painting a single bobby pin with blue nailpolish and having your stylist slip it in somewhere?

Yet another great idea! You're much better at this wedding thing than I am. I feel like I have absolutely zero creativity and inspiration when it comes to making wedding-related decisions. :errrr:

Thanks again!! :wavey:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1353692598|3313385 said:
Funny you should mention this, C has just agreed to make my veil as well! The veil she made for Steph is amazing, and maybe I can have her do something similar on mine..

C also made my veil, as well as a gorgeous silk sash for my dress. Welcome to the C-tek wedding accessories club! It's certainly a growing number of PS brides!

Just glad I could help! So many former brides were helpful when I was a BWW, so I try to pop back in from time to time...and now that my little sister is getting married, it's fun to get back into the swing of planning!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um|1353695920|3313422 said:
C also made my veil, as well as a gorgeous silk sash for my dress. Welcome to the C-tek wedding accessories club! It's certainly a growing number of PS brides!

Just glad I could help! So many former brides were helpful when I was a BWW, so I try to pop back in from time to time...and now that my little sister is getting married, it's fun to get back into the swing of planning!

Ooo, neat! I knew about the sash she made for you, but I didn't know she also made your veil! That woman is amazing (yes, C, if you're reading this - YOU'RE AMAZING!!!)!

Haha, I'm glad some people find planning to be "fun." For me, I think it has caused much more anxiety than necessary. Maybe we should have looked more into eloping..

Yay for your sister! When is her big day?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1353703619|3313529 said:
vc10um|1353695920|3313422 said:

Ooo, neat! I knew about the sash she made for you, but I didn't know she also made your veil! That woman is amazing (yes, C, if you're reading this - YOU'RE AMAZING!!!)!

Haha, I'm glad some people find planning to be "fun." For me, I think it has caused much more anxiety than necessary. Maybe we should have looked more into eloping..

Yay for your sister! When is her big day?

May 17, 2014! So excited. :appl: Her wedding and reception are at the ZOO! I can't wait. We've been going pinterest crazy! Since the venue/food and bev take so much of the budget, most of the decor (including probably all the flowers) will be DIYed...mostly by yours truly. I'm looking forward to it, though! I missed out on a lot of the special touches I wanted to bring to my own wedding because I got married halfway across the country and all my DIY had to fit into one suitcase, or the little bit of space I was afforded in my mom's trunk. But little sister is very much like you: planning to her = massive anxiety. Whereas if I could, I'd quit my job and do this for a living. So it all works out in the end!

Can't wait to see what C-tek makes for you!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um|1353789985|3314660 said:
May 17, 2014! So excited. :appl: Her wedding and reception are at the ZOO! I can't wait. We've been going pinterest crazy! Since the venue/food and bev take so much of the budget, most of the decor (including probably all the flowers) will be DIYed...mostly by yours truly. I'm looking forward to it, though! I missed out on a lot of the special touches I wanted to bring to my own wedding because I got married halfway across the country and all my DIY had to fit into one suitcase, or the little bit of space I was afforded in my mom's trunk. But little sister is very much like you: planning to her = massive anxiety. Whereas if I could, I'd quit my job and do this for a living. So it all works out in the end!

Can't wait to see what C-tek makes for you!

The zoo?! Holy crap, that just may be the coolest thing ever. That seems SO fun!!

Your sister is so incredibly lucky to have you and your enthusiasm! Planning for me is definitely more anxiety-inducing than fun, but I don't have a sister and my mother is not the yay wedding type, so I've done everything on my own (with the occasional input from FI, but his opinion is usually "whatever you think is best"... um, thanks, that's NO help!). I have a great SIL, but she has her hands full with a 2 year old and baby on the way, so all she was able to help me with was a dress-shopping trip. UGH!!

Sorry if I sound whiny. Party planning just isn't my thing and I find it to be overwhelming. I just want it to be done.

On a lighter note, I had my first dress fitting today and it went smashingly well! My dress makes me feel amazing!!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Quick update - I've found my something blue! While trolling etsy a few weeks ago (OMG, that place is going to be the death of my bank account), I stumbled across this amazing hair comb with swarovski crystals to include a gorgeous blue one right in the middle. It is seriously perfect, and I can't WAIT to wear it on my wedding day!!

Here it is! Sorry if the photo is a little blurry, I took it with my phone.

_2683.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Oh that is just gorgeous, and a perfect solution!

(And I know exactly what you mean by etsy being dangerous!)

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
That is beautiful! I love it!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Squee! I love it.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, ladies! :wavey:

I'm obsessed with it, I keep pulling it out to look at it and oooh and ahhhh. :naughty:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
The first time around I did blue sequins on the bottom of my red shoes with our Initals.

This time around (vow renewal) I would like to wear this bracelet that I had made several years ago. I havne't actaully worn it yet as I'm still really mad at the designer but several friends have borrowed it as their something blue. I figure by the time my vow renewals come around I will hopefully be over my frustration with the designer and wear it myself.

_2746.jpg

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Sarahbear621|1357148481|3345534 said:
The first time around I did blue sequins on the bottom of my red shoes with our Initals.

This time around (vow renewal) I would like to wear this bracelet that I had made several years ago. I havne't actaully worn it yet as I'm still really mad at the designer but several friends have borrowed it as their something blue. I figure by the time my vow renewals come around I will hopefully be over my frustration with the designer and wear it myself.

Oh wow, that is amazing!! I'm sorry your frustration with the designer is tainting your desire to wear it, I hope you're able to overcome it and wear this gorgeous piece! When is your vow renewal?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Star sparkle, the barrette is beautiful, and so is your hair!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What WASN'T my something blue? :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

These ended up being the official something blue, but I also had:
-necklace had a blue-green tourmaline
-ering
-RHR
-purse
-jacket (after ceremony)

My husband was surprised my dress wasn't blue. Tee hee.

the_details-022-9658.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1357194127|3346087 said:
What WASN'T my something blue? :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

These ended up being the official something blue, but I also had:
-necklace had a blue-green tourmaline
-ering
-RHR
-purse
-jacket (after ceremony)

My husband was surprised my dress wasn't blue. Tee hee.
I think MANY of us were surprised that your dress wasn't blue ;-) :lol:

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
mary poppins|1357176070|3345922 said:
Star sparkle, the barrette is beautiful, and so is your hair!

Haha, thanks mary poppins! I don't think anyone has ever complimented my hair before, so thanks for that! :wink2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results