shape
carat
color
clarity

Some of My Mom's Indian/Pakistani Jewelery

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
So my parents are in town for a wedding, and in Pakistani culture there is no better time to "Show The Bling!" than a wedding. Unlike a Western/Christian wedding, Pakistani weddings are over several days, at several venues and jewelry is a huge part of event with the majority of the Dowry being comprised of large jewelry pieces. Traditionally gold was what was sought after but with a more widespread appreciation of gem based jewelry and a public knowledgeable about the 4 Cs, many Pakistanis have embraced more gemstone/diamond pieces.

Some of the pieces are in Pakistan so I don't have great pictures but I did my best to get the best pictures that would still fit into PS 1 MB restrictions. Not all the pieces are ethnic, but the ethnic pieces are flooded with baroque pearls. This was very traditional as pearls bring in a "sea of good fortune".

The only strange thing, I found while rummaging through my mother's collection was that there were NO peridot pieces, despite the fact that it's her birthstone :D , but I guess she doesn't like them. As is typical with Asian jewelry you won't be seeing any platinum all 22k Yellow Gold (some of the modern pieces are 18k).

mother_s_day_0.jpg

crap_123.jpg

diamond_set.jpg

diamond_ring_and_0.jpg

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
Just a few more pieces

crap_121.jpg

diamondrubypear_set.jpg

ruby_and_white_sapphire_pendant_heirloom___over_75_years_old_.jpg

20140516_121916.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my word!!! :love: Can you please post super close ups of each item individually to be able to see all the minute details of the jewellery, if you can? These pieces are gorgeous!

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
Thanks!

Yeah, sure. It'll take a while though. The filigree work is extremely intricate. Most of it is done by hand. Some of the pieces are in Pakistan, and I only have the pictures my parents' estate manager took. My favorite piece of jewelry out of the whole collection are the marquise cluster diamond earrings, and ring, these are in Pakistan at the time. I really wish I could take some high res pictures of those beauties as well as post a scan of the lab reports, but my parents just didn't bring them ;(

20140516_125128.jpg

20140516_125157.jpg

20140516_125238.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going crazy admiring the gold jewellery. :love: Are these meant to be worn after the wedding as well or put away as a rainy day safety net?

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
Nope, these are meant to be worn afterwards as well...especially to other weddings. Even though diamonds and some precious gemstones have made headway in Pakistan, it's all about the gold. 90% of my mom's jewelry is just 22k gold bracelets and bangles.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Really great pieces!! Thank you for sharing. The gold work is just phenomenal :love:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Such beautiful pieces!!! My favorite is also the marquise cluster earrings.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Very beautiful! Thanks for sharing! :appl: =)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous pieces!!! :love: I especially love the pearls with the rich gold!!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I was gonna ask where you wear this stuff after the wedding? In everyday life or just special occasion?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, beautiful gold jewellery, the 8 carat ring is amazing as well!!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The strong and warm color of the gold is so beautiful. All the intricate details are stunning.
I also love the 8 ct ring and the flowery diamond necklace :wavey:

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
Aprilbaby, when in the US, my mom will wear some of her larget pieces even to the grocery store! I remember her wearing the marquise cluster ring and earrings with 2 large bracelets and 6 bangles... to Walgreens! Another time she wore a large diamond/ruby set (like the pearl one pictured but no pearls) to a football game!

I told her she looked insane but it was because in Pakistan due to to obvious security risk any public display of wealth is an invitation to armed robbers. Even though my parents live in a gated communitu, it's not uncommon for guards to be the ones stealing! For this reason my mom wears large sets all the time when in the US or Europe.

Traditionaly, large pieces like this are meant only for weddings and other special occasions.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Put a big smile on mom's face to see others appreciate her jewelry as much as she does.

A few interesting things about most Pakistani jewelry:

It is almost always 22k Yellow Gold.
A "set" is comprised of a necklace, earrings and a ring.
Pearls are very common.
The markups from the raw cost of material is much lower than in the West as labor is cheap.
Some famous jewelers are Arshad, Damas, Zahid, and Junaid.

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock
Wow - That was fun! :appl:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, those are some exquisite pieces!!!!! Thank you for showing them to us. :appl:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome jewelry. Your mom must love taking it out to wear it. I don't blame her one single bit for wearing it to walgreens!

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again everyone! Really appreciate the kind words. I know the more traditional poeces are very ornate and not to everyone's taste but you've said nothing but kind words!

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
What intricate, gorgeous jewelry! The gold is so rich and the details breathtaking!

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
it is all unbelievably gorgeous! there's lots of yellow gold in the chinese culture too, but I often feel like the designs we have (which are a lot simpler, and usually more like lucky chinese characters and animals) don't really play up the gold - and therefore doesn't look as nice as pakistani or indian jewelry. all that filigree work, and all those diamonds :appl:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
What beautiful jewelry!! My favorites are the pearl sets. They look like museum pieces!! I am glad you mother enjoys wearing them--even to Walmart!!

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
sonyachancs|1400486288|3675872 said:
it is all unbelievably gorgeous! there's lots of yellow gold in the chinese culture too, but I often feel like the designs we have (which are a lot simpler, and usually more like lucky chinese characters and animals) don't really play up the gold - and therefore doesn't look as nice as pakistani or indian jewelry. all that filigree work, and all those diamonds :appl:

What Chinese jewelry lacks in complex filigree work and diamonds... you make up for with stunning imperial jade!!

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
swingirl|1400489195|3675877 said:
What beautiful jewelry!! My favorites are the pearl sets. They look like museum pieces!! I am glad you mother enjoys wearing them--even to Walmart!!

I don't know if they'd be "museum pieces" but, it did take 3 years to source matching, unheated rubies(for the set without emeralds). 80% were rough and had to be cut. It's a lot of work to make those large wedding sets.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE her collection. My favorite is the bangle with the leaves and intricate filigree. Thanks for sharing!!

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for sharing PSProot12 :wavey:
I adore high karat yellow gold, your mother has excellent taste :)

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
oh man this makes me want to post all the jewelry from my Indian wedding. I LOVEEEEE Indian jewelry, ideal cut diamonds are always nice but true Indian/Pakistani jewelry is like no other. so happy you shared this!!! :appl: :appl:

AudiLover

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Such beautiful buttery pieces! :love:

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for sharing, I love that your Mom wears them all over, these pieces are so special it would be a shame to have them shut away and never be seen. That filigree bracelet with the leaves is just tdf :love:

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
dollyanjuli|1400607479|3676857 said:
oh man this makes me want to post all the jewelry from my Indian wedding. I LOVEEEEE Indian jewelry, ideal cut diamonds are always nice but true Indian/Pakistani jewelry is like no other. so happy you shared this!!! :appl: :appl:

For your Indian wedding? Oh please do post them!! I'd love to see and thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results