shape
carat
color
clarity

Some input on my pick!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

william_v

Rough_Rock
Finally found a nice stone for a great price $15,300
8.22-8.29x4.92mm
2.01 I VS2
Cut Very good
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
No Fluorescence
Table 57%
Deph 59.6%
Crown 32.5
pavilion 40.6

GIA report states it has feather and extra Facet. I just saw it today and it looks really nice and clean. My question is the stone perfect round? How is the price, GOOD or BAD deal.

Any input will help.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Another shallow/shallow stone :razz: Do a search for shallow and you'll find plenty of discussion about them!

I imagine the crown height / angle is slightly below AGS 0 / GIA excellent which is why the stone has scored 'very good'. The variation in width/length is normal and your dimensions are very acceptable for a perfect round.

Look at it under an Ideal Scope and do a price search using your stone parameters on PriceScope or Whiteflash or any other online vendor.

I would also plug your numbers into:
1. Holloway Cut Adviser https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp
2. DCA http://www.jewellerycatalogue.co.uk/diamonds/diamond_analysis.php?weight_actual=1.23&girdlemin=7.12&girdlemax=7.19&depth=4.08&table=61.4&crown=&pavilion=41.1&colour=g&clarity=vs1&notes=&girdle_alpha

HCA:
Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Excellent
Total Visual Performance 0.9 - Excellent
within TIC range

The numbers look alright on the DCA too. However, only you can tell whether the stone is right for you. Take it outside and twirl it around on a diamond grabber and have a look!

A lot of people would probably ask to see the Ideal Scope image but I suspect that most consumers who are not after the perfect AGS000 will find it acceptable.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Price is fine, but I'd like to see an image or an IS image. I'm not loving the crown angle (shallow)...but this might be more to do with my personal cut preferences, you may love it and some here really like the look. Please post the girdle information just to make sure there aren't any potential problems with it.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
With the girdle - you should aim for something around a ''medium''. Thin girdles and shallow crown angles are prone to chipping. Or else set the stone in a 6 prong setting which is less prong to damage.

Bring your camera ... set it on macro mode and simply take a photo through your jeweller''s IS.

william_v

Rough_Rock
The gridles is Thin. IT will be set on the 6 pong ring. I asked him to find me a another stone so that I had something to compare. I never took into account the chipping scerio. Thanks for you help.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shallow crowns and thin girdles are a somewhat dangerous combinations...all in all, you might want to move on, there are other stones out there.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If size is an absolute priority - then fine. Of if you've seen the stone in person and love it. It's a 'very good' not an 'excellent' cut because of the shallow/shallow characteristics mentioned above.

I'm not going to burst your bubble - the stone is a 'good price' for the reasons explained above. You may be better off going under the magical 2Ct mark and looking for a better cut :razz:

*edit*
By good price I mean that the stone is cheaper compared to other 2Ct stones. And that the reasons are that it's a shallow/shallow with an extra facet. If you've purchased the stone and are absolutely happy, then there is no point tossing and turning about split hairs as a super ideal, AGS000 'a cut above' stone may not be within your price-range unless you take a significantly smaller stone.

It's impossible to see how the stone performs without an IS or being there in person.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 4:18:58 AM
Author: tanalasta

I''m not going to burst your bubble - the stone is a ''good price'' for the reasons explained above. You may be better off going under the magical 2Ct mark and looking for a better cut :razz:
No may or maybe about it in my book...
extra facet on an RB sounds like a repaired broken stone.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/20/2007 5:16:15 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 1/20/2007 4:18:58 AM
Author: tanalasta

I''m not going to burst your bubble - the stone is a ''good price'' for the reasons explained above. You may be better off going under the magical 2Ct mark and looking for a better cut :razz:
No may or maybe about it in my book...
extra facet on an RB sounds like a repaired broken stone.
Not necessarily, most of the reasons for extra facets are due to natural spots in the girdle area.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results