shape
carat
color
clarity

Some advice please (e-ring, Tiffany, etc.)...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

major_newbie

Rough_Rock

I''m ready to propose to my girlfriend and I''d like to be able to give her a ring when I do it. We''ve talked about marriage and she hasn''t mentioned anything about a ring - I don''t get the impression she needs to pick the ring out together. I think she''d rather be surprised a little, and I''d prefer this too. I don''t know her ring size, so I assume it will have to be sized (but that''s ok). I''ve done a lot of reading on-line, checked out all of the sites, and even stopped by the big T. The rings at Tiffany are very nice (the classic style), and I''d definitely like to get a setting very close to the classic Tiffany. In my price range (~7500), I can get a ~0.8C Tiffany ring or maybe a 1-1.2C ring from an on-line retailer. Actually the 0.8C rings I saw looked like a pretty good size - she has small hands and probably wouldn''t want anything too flashy (the 1+C rings would look pretty large on her hand). I imagine I could find a B&M retailer here in the SF Bay Area that would give me better value along with the nice service I''ve had (so far) at Tiffany. One concern I have about ordering on-line is how to do the sizing. I''ve pretty much written off being able to get an accurate size ahead of time - would I just plan on finding a local shop to do the work, or would I return the ring to the on-line retailer? Tiffany said they''ll size it for you, plus they said they have a 30-day return policy.

That''s it. It''s helpful just to put it down in text. I''d be grateful for any suggestions or thoughts.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/9/2004 2:40:25 AM
Author:major_newbie

One concern I have about ordering on-line is how to do the sizing. [...]- would I just plan on finding a local shop to do the work, or would I return the ring to the on-line retailer?

Some designer settings come with manufacturer''s waranty and need to be returned to the maker for sizing just to keep the waranty valid - for what that''s worth. Otherwise, no reason I can think of not to size the ring locally.

If the setting is not tremendously intricate, there will be no problem at all to have it sized by a different jeweler than the maker. What do you have in mind?

major_newbie

Rough_Rock

I really like the Tiffany classic setting. I''ve looked at most of the major on-line places and some have pretty close copies (though none seem to be truly identical to the T-setting). As far as quality of the ''clones'', all I can really go by are the recommendations I read on the web. This isn''t rocket science - there must be similar settings that are equal or better in quality. I assume I could find a reputable local place to have the size adjusted if necessary.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

True enough. If you guess the size up to 1 or a bit more (that's allot of lee-way, IMO) there should be no problem at all sizing a ring like that.

Usually jewelers can "guess" it for you given a few clues. It's pretty amazing how precise they get it

2.gif

I thing there was a comparison between the original and SuperbCert's copy on some really magnified picturs, way back (on "Show me the ring"). You may want to dig for it... The differences seemd to be mostly of finish (polish inside and between the prongs mostly, IMO) than shape. Actually, other diamond sellers have such settings as well: NiceIce comes to mind, and Whiteflash made one shown on PS but the source should work almost anywhere - at least this is worth a try.

And there was other versions too: See This or This

michela002

Shiny_Rock

The crux of the issue depends on whether your girlfriend would prefer the real Tiffanys, whether she''s a blue box labels type of person, or whether a bigger diamond would be her priority (or whether she''s real practical and would just prefer you to spend less money!) If she''s more likely to care about where it came from, go Tiffanys, even if its smaller etc. But if she''s more likely to not care where it came from you can probably get something better for cheaper.

With regards to the classic Tiffany''s setting, here''s what I have noticed. I love the setting, but I''ve noticed in imitations that it seems like the diamond "hovers" up near the prongs, with space below the diamond, before the band. Sounds confusing, but see how here the diamond goes all the way down to the bottom of the prongs, to the band?

engagement_tiffany_ring2.jpg

Well, here''s the solution I appear to have found:

stullersolstice.jpg

Basically, you notice the gap in the high or medium settings (see how in the right pic the diamond appears to dangle at the top of the prongs?) but not in a low setting. It''s the gap that bothers me about the imitation settings. Maybe that''s why you are noticing the imitations don''t look quite right?

That might help you find a setting that looks more like the real Tiffanys setting -- if you have a look for a lower setting it might look more geniune.

With regards to her ring size -- does she wear other rings? Can you "borrow" a ring and trace and outline or something? For example, if she wears a ring on the fourth finger of her right hand, her left-hand fourth finger should be just a little smaller (unless she''s a lefty of course -- your dominant hand tends to have larger fingers.) If she wears a ring on her third finger, maybe you can figure out the max size her fourth finger should be etc. (Or if you can get a family member, friend etc to be sneaky and figure out her ring size?) At least if you can get a rough estimate of her ring size you can avoid having to DRASTICALLY resize the ring. And maybe even avoid having to resize it. If you do need to resize it however, you can probably get that done at a local jeweller so long as its simple (which, given the setting you''re thinking of, it should be.)

If it were me -- I''d prefer the non-Tiffs bigger diamond. But she may prefer the real thing ... you know her best. If she would love real Tiffanys then its worth every cent, but if she wouldn''t care (or would prefer a bigger diamond, or for you to spend less money) then go the online alternative.

Good luck!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stuller and Tiffany make rings in vastly different ways... the result do not look close to me.

Tiffany goes to some length to explain what makes their rings high quality (see "The rings of Tiffany" pages on their website). Those make marvelous instructions for judging copies. Many pass the test, IMO, but not Stuller''s

2.gif

XdifferentThings.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You mak this is complete exageration, but the current Tiffany classic seems to have gained weight compared to it''s famous ancestor. The smaller rings definitely do not appear as dainty as they used to... don''t you think ? (see below a surviving Tiffany solitaire, 1910 or so).

tiffanysolitaireside.JPG

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im very anti-Tiffany''s so I say go with something of actual QUALITY, not for the name brand. You can get FAR better quality elsewhere.

That said, you really should check out what her true ring size is. That way you won''t be giving up the ring for a day so they can size it for you. She won''t want to take it off. I personally won''t allow my rings to be sized. Its either cast/made at the size I wear or it''s not purchased. I simply do not trust it.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Hopefully this can help you get BOTH the tiffany {identical} setting, and a better diamond than you would get at tiffanys. Two online retailers carry tiffany classic setting clones (with the low slung head and all). I can''t tell the difference between the true tiffany setting and these (as my fiance has the one from whiteflash {and it is beautiful
30.gif
).

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/engagement-detail.cfm?did=88129

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Tiffany-Knife-Edge_792.htm

The advantage to this is that you can get the identical setting (nobody will be able to tell the difference) and you will be able to get a much higher quality diamond (and less expensive) when you go through an online vendor. Per your sizing question, does she wear any rings? If so, I would find the one that she wears, that would closely approximate to her ring finger. Put it on one of your fingers so you know how it fits on your finger (whichever you choose). Then go to any B&M jewler and ask if you can use their ring sizer, and find the ring size that most closely approximates how you felt how her ring fit on the finger that you placed her ring on. I realize thats a lot of words, but does it make sense?
33.gif
....it worked for me!

If this works, here is a picture of the setting from whiteflash (it also happens to be the same one I got for my fiance, and it is beautiful!!!!)

gi_PR-ER26B-Pt_f.jpg

major_newbie

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone... great comments!

After reading all of these posts, I''m starting to think more about the setting. The various T-clone settings go from around $350 (Bluenile) to $1K (Niceice, Superbcert). Let''s say the stone is really worth $3.5-4K and the genuine band $1K... that''s a minimum $2.5K markup T is adding to the ring. I don''t think my girlfriend cares that much about where it comes from, but I do want to make sure she has a high-quality setting (after all, this is what''s actually going to be touching her skin for a long long time). No matter where I get it we''ll have to have it re-sized - another downside of T is that this will take 1-2 weeks.

- Jay

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock

oops...I meant that when you go to the B&M jeweler, see which ring sizer most closely is identical to how her ring fit on YOUR finger that you tried on.

P.S.- I don''t work for whiteflash, but I had a wonderful experience with them and I find their craftmanship, dimaonds, and customer service to be wonderful!

9.gif

Here is the pic of the tiffany setting from dirtcheapdiamonds, just so I''m not biasing you.

ACF9708.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Jay, it''s actually not difficult to get a ring re-sized anywhere for a small fee. The downtown SF Shreve & Company has always handled my niggling little fixes very graciously, and I''ve never bought anything there.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I completely agree, resizing is not a big deal for any jeweler.

solange

Brilliant_Rock

I got my stone from Whiteflash and had it set in the Tiffany knife edge shown above. I am very pleased with it. I think it looks like the original Tiffany. My setting was about $1000 but I have a large stone. They charge less for smaller stones.

Before Whiteflash shipped it out, they sent me an email photo of the ring. I felt the stone was set to high. Since the mounting was made for my stone, they were able to reset it very low in the setting. I don''t know if they can do that with some of the less expensive copies.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I know you say you want a very simply, classic, tiffany-like setting, but maybe instead of going for imitations of a tiffany, you should find something that it beautiful in its own right... Whiteflash and Diamonds by Lauren have a lot of beautiful and very high quality settings that don''t aspire to look-exactly-like-tiffany but instead aspire to be the most beautiful rings they can be... The trusted online dealers (you can figure out who those are here on PS on over on diamondtalk.com) will get you a MUCH better deal on a MUCH better diamond than Tiffany''s can.

Not to open up a bunch of complications, but have you thought about antique engagement ring? It has been my experience that most men don''t think about this first, but you can find some SPECTACULARLY beautiful rings if you go in this direction. If you''re interested, check out faycullen.com

here''s a simple but beautiful Edwardian ring--
7.jpg

The cetner stone is 1.38 ct, J, SI1 (a bit low color, but I like the "warm" look in antique stones) set in platinum for $6,900

An antique ring is not for everyone, but I though I''d suggest it in case you hadn''t thought of that yet.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Nice, but i think it would look better with an antique cut diamond. the modern cut doesnt go...

But the setting id gorgeous...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results