shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitare or bengals?

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by big1236, Jan 15, 2008.

Solitare or Bengals for a size 3(ring size) girl?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2008.
  1. Solitare

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. big1236
    Rough_Rock

by big1236 » Jan 15, 2008
    Hello guys as you can see i''m a newbie here so i hope i dont'' make a fool of myself with my first post.

Anyway, my questions to everybody is: "Which is better, a solitare ring or a ring with bengals on the sides?"

I just wanted to know what the consensus is. My GF only has a size 3 (ring size)... well i guess what i''m trying to ask is if her finger is too small for the bengals....

i apologize if my terminology is wrong...

2. chrono
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by chrono » Jan 15, 2008
    Bengals? What are those? I imagined having Indian Bengal tigers hanging on to her fingers.[​IMG]

Are you talking about sidestones? Or tiny diamonds on the band of the ring? I would say this is should be her choice if she has professed a preference.

If the center diamond is fairly large, my preference is to stick to a solitaire to show off the stone. But that's just me.

3. Lorelei
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Lorelei » Jan 15, 2008
    Welcome!

Do you mean baguettes as in sidestones?

4. mrssalvo
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by mrssalvo » Jan 15, 2008
    bengals? I''ve never heard that term before either. please tell us what they are or describe them?

5. vslover
    Shiny_Rock

by vslover » Jan 15, 2008
    Do you mean baguettes? I''d prefer just a solitaire personally.

6. coatimundi_org
    Ideal_Rock

by coatimundi_org » Jan 15, 2008
    Bengals?--Do you mean Baguettes?
    A size 3 finger can handle side stones--(depends on what she likes)
    I wear a four and I like coverage![​IMG]

7. big1236
    Rough_Rock

Baguettes!! yes, that''s the word!! i told you guys i''m new to this... LOL [​IMG]

8. Gypsy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Gypsy » Jan 15, 2008
    I think she can handle the tigers! [​IMG]

9. Lorelei
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Lorelei » Jan 15, 2008
    LOL no worries, glad we were able to help! Personally to answer your question, I would shoot for a plain solitaire.

10. mrssalvo
    Super_Ideal_Rock

a size 3 can handle the baguettes, but my vote would go to toward the solitaire!!

11. tberube
    Brilliant_Rock

by tberube » Jan 15, 2008
    depends - how big is the center stone?

12. FireGoddess
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by FireGoddess » Jan 15, 2008
    I imagined bengal cats hanging off your girlfriend''s hand.

I''d go for the solitaire, personally.

13. oldminer
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by oldminer » Jan 15, 2008
    Here is the kitty ring![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

We love newbies. Welcome to Pricescope.

2bengal_dia_rg.jpg

14. dani13
    Ideal_Rock

by dani13 » Jan 15, 2008
    LOL, Oldminer!!

Welcome to PS!! As far as giving you an opinion either way, can you tell us a bit more about the center stone (shape, ct wt., etc)?

15. UCLABelle
    Ideal_Rock

by UCLABelle » Jan 15, 2008
    I prefer side stones on e-rings (not sure why, though I have seen really awesome solitaires)...

16. big1236
    Rough_Rock

the center ring is going to be 1 cara, round cut... i think i should just leave it as a solitare since her finger is so small... it'll make the center stone look that much bigger, right?

17. mrssalvo
    Super_Ideal_Rock

I think that''s a wonderful size for her. I wear a 3.5 and had a 1 carat (6.5mm stone) as my original wedding set. here''s a pic...the second picture is when I got a new eternity band to wear with it made up of 3 point stones:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. big1236
    Rough_Rock

[​IMG]See, that rock looks HUGE!!!! I think i''ll stick with the solitare, although i wuuld like to see a 3-3.5 size ring with baguettes on them..... anybody? [​IMG]

19. Odilia
    Brilliant_Rock

by Odilia » Jan 15, 2008
    Firstly, I got a good chuckle out of the "bengals" situation... but I kinda thought right off the bat you probably meant baguettes. [​IMG]

This is really such a personal thing; some people love solitaires, and they are very classic. Some people don't like baguettes next to a RB. But baguettes flanking a round center is totally a classic look as well. Personally, if given the choice, I'd choose bag's over solitaire any day of the week! I like the look of them on my hand, and really don't like solitaire on my hand - just seems totally boring to me, although there are many extremely beautiful solitaires here on PS. And to me, they add just a little pizazz to the ring without overdoing it.

Although I must say, solitaire is probably easier to match up with a wedding ring. I remember a jeweler said to me once, "solitaire is like a Barbie Doll; you can dress it up any way you want." (Although personally I found that not to be true, because I'm not one of those who likes it next to a non-plain ring.)

20. Odilia
    Brilliant_Rock

by Odilia » Jan 15, 2008
    mrssalvo, I must have seen your rings before but can't recall; they are beautiful and your hands are very nice too! You make a liar out of me, because I just said I'm not a fan of solitaire next to eternity band but yours is beautiful!

big1236, I don't have a picture of a size 3 or 3.5 or whatever it was, but here is a friend's ring with baguettes. Probably about a size 5.25 or so, since it fits me. Also, this one has fishtail prongs which you might not like. And I think the diamond is slightly bigger than 1ct, but not too much bigger. Hope it helps.

ETA: Yikes, must make 2 notes to self: 1. Use hand lotion before taking hand pics
    & 2. Don't upload that big copy of my dry hands again... [​IMG]

CC ering_b.JPG

21. Odilia
    Brilliant_Rock

by Odilia » Jan 15, 2008
    Don''t know what size finger these are, but I''ll try to post a few more baguette pics to hopefully help. Here''s one owned by KristyDarling:

KristyDrlgbaget.jpg

22. idreamofice
    Shiny_Rock

by idreamofice » Jan 15, 2008
    mrssalvo!! Are you sure that's a 1ct?? That rock looks HUGE on your tiny finger!! Wow!! I wish I had smaller fingers...[​IMG]

Oh and beautiful rings!![​IMG]

23. Odilia
    Brilliant_Rock

by Odilia » Jan 15, 2008
    1 more of KristyDarling''s:

KristyDarling.jpg

24. big1236
    Rough_Rock

old-fashioned girl, thanks for the pics... that style of baguettes is something i''ll definitely look into. and your hands don''t look bad at all... [​IMG]

25. DiamanteBlu
    Ideal_Rock

by DiamanteBlu » Jan 15, 2008
    How cute! Welcome!

I, too, thought "tigers" when I saw "bengals". I was wondering if this was a new line of Cartier's that I had yet to hear about! LOL! All I could "see" were these Cartier sunglasses I am coveting that have a panther on eash side [with emerald eyes, black spots and all]! [I'd post a pic but I can't find one. See p. 39 of the 2/2008 issue of Town & Country] And, yes, I know panthers are not tigers but that was what came to mind! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

26. DiamanteBlu
    Ideal_Rock

by DiamanteBlu » Jan 15, 2008
    BTW, I would do either a Tiffany style solitaire with the 6 prongs or, if you want to do 4 [plain or split] prongs, I would add the tigers, I mean, baguettes.

27. ydiamonds
    Rough_Rock

by ydiamonds » Jan 15, 2008
    I vote for baquettes, and I also agree with it depends on what she likes. I wear a size 3, and my ring is a radiant center with trilliant sides. I don''t want a wedding band and prefer something more than just a plain solitaire. Having side stones is not necessarily a bad thing on small fingers. It all depends on the size of the stones. I think mine is about the perfect size for my finger. Unless you''re planning a complete proposal surprise, I''d recommend just trying on different sizes and see what she likes. Then you can juggle clarity/color/metal/etc that fits within your budget.

28. Diamond*Dana
    Ideal_Rock

by Diamond*Dana » Jan 15, 2008
    I like both! Honestly, that 1ct solitaire looks quite big and beautiful paired up with the eternity ring...that is what I would pick [​IMG]

29. Italiahaircolor
    Ideal_Rock

by Italiahaircolor » Jan 15, 2008
    I think it is so so sweet that you are on PS educating yourself on diamonds so that you can purchase the best ring for your FF (future fiance). Most men wouldn''t be so brave...kudos to you [​IMG]

I voted for the "bags"...I think it makes for a very serious, very traditional, understated elegant ering.

Whatever you decide upon, have fun shopping! It truly is a once in a life time purchase!

Oh...yeah...and a big ol CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

30. bee*
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by bee* » Jan 16, 2008
    I''d stick with the solitaire.

eta so jealous of the size 3 fingers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.