shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire vs. 3 Stone Setting

tmp16231

Rough_Rock
I am about to make the final decision on what type of E-Ring to buy for my future wife and I am debating with myself about whether to go with a Solitaire or a 3-Stone setting. I have done my due diligence with the research on the 4 C’s and have identified my budget, but my mind seems to change daily when it comes to deciding between a solitaire or a 3-stone setting. When it comes to the solitaire, I seem to like channel and cathedral settings with side diamonds on the band and a round center stone as big as I can go considering the 4 C's. When it comes to 3-stone, I am set on a round center diamond (1.2-1.4 ct) with two pear shapes on the sides. I have attached some pictures of the styles I like. Any advice would be appreciated as I am really struggling with this decision. Thanks!
Travis

Option 1.jpg

Option 2.jpg

Option 3.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
well...both are really beautiful and classic settings-I don't think you can go wrong! I have a 3-stone with pears, so I might be biased :) Do you want to keep it a total surprise, if not, maybe ask her what she prefers?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't think a wedding band would sit flush with that threestone type (with the protruding prongs), don't know about that solitaire - something to investigate if it matters to you/her.

I would *definitely* poke around a bit - have her best friend prod a little, perhaps - I think many women have strong feelings about some basic things like diamond shape, threestone/solitaire/halo, busy setting style vs. something simpler. Those are two very different styles - I know that I would have a strong bias toward one over the other, too :halo:

tmp16231

Rough_Rock
Which do you prefer?

tmp16231

Rough_Rock
I do want it to be a total surprise. I have enlisted her best friend in the process :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
maybe get the friend to tell you what she prefers?

TennesseeGirl

Rough_Rock
My vote would be to put all your eggs in one basket and get the very best solitaire you can and put it in a Tiffany setting. You can always upgrade later or change it out to the setting SHE loves and only be losing about $300 to scrap the Tiffany setting. The setting will cost you another $1000 or so and if it were me I'd rather have a better or bigger stone.

Best wishes

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have the best friend do some digging. If she doesn't come out with a solid, definitive answer I'd do as TG suggests and put most of the budget into the stone, and propose with a super-cheap temp setting and pick out the 'forever' setting together after the engagement ::)

Me, I'm a threestoner through and through.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you cant get any info out of the GF...I like the 3 stone the best.

Edit
(or go with the temp setting and let her decide which setting later as suggested)

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
i vote three stone... :naughty:

3stone.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
TennesseeGirl|1297961340|2853920 said:
My vote would be to put all your eggs in one basket and get the very best solitaire you can and put it in a Tiffany setting. You can always upgrade later or change it out to the setting SHE loves and only be losing about $300 to scrap the Tiffany setting. The setting will cost you another $1000 or so and if it were me I'd rather have a better or bigger stone.

Best wishes

huge ditto! I'd go with a inexpensive solitaire and then let her choose if she wants a more custom solitaire with sidestone's or a 3 stone. That way the proposal can still be a surprise but she can have some say in what ring she'll be wearing :))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrssalvo|1297967879|2854027 said:

Best wishes

huge ditto! I'd go with a inexpensive solitaire and then let her choose if she wants a more custom solitaire with sidestone's or a 3 stone. That way the proposal can still be a surprise but she can have some say in what ring she'll be wearing :))

Yup.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1297970008|2854061 said:
mrssalvo|1297967879|2854027 said:

Best wishes

Yup.

Agreed. DH did this with me (got the best stone he could and put it in the cheapest setting and then let me pick) and it was AWESOME.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really a personal preference. You do see more solitaires than 3-stone, though. I applaud your wanting it to be a surprise - I LOVE that!

z

Rough_Rock
it's a matter of preference. I personally like the solitaire setting better. Things to consider about the 3 stone is that it will make the overall appearance larger, however it could make the center stone look smaller as well. I might be wrong on these theories though.

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
I am a 3 stone owner and it is my favorite style of ring. However, I would invest all of the money into the diamond now and put it into a solitaire setting. Later on down the road you can reset it into a 3 stone ring for an anniversary. My dh gave me a solitaire and we turned it into a 3 stone ring after 5 years of marriage and the birth of our first child. We picked it together....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results