shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire Pendant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snlee

Ideal_Rock

I''m thinking about having a diamond that I already have (given to me by my FMIL) set into a solitaire pendant. I don''t know the details for the diamond but I think it''s around a .6, G, SI1? Who knows! I could be completely off! It''s currently set in a 14K white gold 4-prong solitaire setting. I love it but don''t wear it often since it looks so similar to my ering. I wonder if she would mind if I had the diamond reset. The way I see it is, I''d wear it all the time if it were in a pendant!

I would want to set it in a 14K white gold, thin cable chain ~1mm, basket setting, 16 inches long. I don''t want the diamond to move around on the chain. Not sure what that setting is called?

I''ve wanted a solitaire pendant for a while now and I think I might finally do this in the near future. Maybe for a birthday present for myself? =)

What should I expect to pay for the setting? What''s a good price? I will probably have it set at a local jeweler because I don''t want to worry about it in the mail!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
If you go with white gold I would think about $250 to $400 with the chain.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a diamond set into a pendant two years ago and the best price I found was from a local jeweler who specializes in repair/custom work and the setting and the chain, was definetly under $300 for wg (even platinum, with the prices then, was less than $400 w/chain!). I went to the mall and the price was at least $100 more.

Oh, and watch on the thin chain. One of my tiffany necklaces snapped very easily when my husband didn''t realize I was wearing it and put his hand underneath it and broke it. I''d NEVER put a diamond on a thin chain after seeing how weak some chains can be. Mine is on a spiga/wheat which doesn''t create as much of a floaty effect, but is entirely secure.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
are you planning on going with a 4-prong or 3-prong?
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the 3 prong setting all you see is sparkle!!!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
would it flip around so the diamond faces downward? or if the pendant''s secured the chain, would it spin around so that it''s not hanging in the middle of your neck?

snlee

Ideal_Rock

MC, good point about the thin chain. I wouldn''t want that to happen!

32.gif
Have others had any problems thin cable chains?

ForteKitty, I was thinking 4-prong for security reasons. I do love the 3-prong look though! But I don''t want to worry about losing my diamond!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have my .38c Regent set into a 4 prong basket setting on a platinum chain (platinum basket too)...the chain is 18" with a 16" loop in case I want to wear it at 16"...but I like 18" actually. The platinum chain is a very thin cable. The pendant doesn't move..it has tiny mickey mouse ears holding it.

I had GOG set the pendant for me in a new head but I already had the chain (from the original setting which I didn't like the head on after it was said and done). My local jeweler charged about $200 for the chain, head and setting (it was a good deal) but then I didn't like the head they used, it had 8 prongs and overpowered the stone. GOG set it into a 4 prong, it rarely flips (Garry has posted in the past that when pendants flip it's because the balance of top to bottom in setting it is somehow skewed I think?)...and I love it! Highly recommended. I'd probably get this same setting again and again for new stones, I love it so much.

Only once has the clasp ever come undone (it's not lobster, those bother me), it's a small clasp and takes some doing but it's perfect for me because I know how to do it. Anyway the one time it came undone was when I had my hair down and had on a sweater and a jacket and it kept getting caught and I guess opened up. Greg found it on the back of my sweater still partially around my neck! That was a lucky save. But other than that, in 2+ years I haven't had any other problems. Knock on wood!!

ETA: The only time my pendant moves is when I wear it when I work out and it ends up behind my neck. But other than that it is very good about staying where it should.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results