shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire owners, If you could it all over again...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock
Would you get a solitaire as your engagement ring? OR would you go with some type of a diamond band?

And those of you who decided to "just" get a diamond band as your engagement ring, do you ever wish you would've gone with a solitaire instead?

So, basically, do any of you have regrets?

ETA: I just noticed i missed "do" in the title...
15.gif

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I have a solitaire with a pave band.....does that count???

I have never regretted getting a 6 prong solitaire rather than a 3 stone, halo, or sidestone ring. I get my "bling factor" from the 2mm pave band and also my two matching pave wedding bands...I love my set and though it''s not what everyone would chose, it''s something I adore and will always love!

If you are trying to decide which to get, just try some on and one will make your heart go pitter patter
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Mine''s kinda the opposite, but thought it may still be relevant..

About 3 yrs ago when I got engaged, I was intent 150% I did not want a solitaire, so I decided on a 3 stone ring.
Don''t get me wrong, its a beautiful ring and I love it to this day, but I started really craving a solitaire in the last ~12ths.
I could never get rid of my original ring, but I was lucky enough to upgrade to the Legato Sleek Lines from WF earlier this year, and I am sooo in love with it !

I think I started to realize a soli. could offer me options for a w-band, eternity etc - PS knowledge is a curse, lol !
3.gif

At this stage, I definately do not have any regrets - either about my 3 stone or my new soli, and I really don''t see changing my mind...I will be happy to indulge in stackers and RHR''s if I get the urge
9.gif
11.gif
2.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Never regretted my solitaire! My only regret was my first reset - I chose something way too funky that had it''s own batch of problems, and have JUST finally picked out the perfect solitaire to put my diamond back in to.

Solitaires are just so versatile! You can wear them with many different bands and change the look whenever you want. It looks great with jeans and a T and an evening gown alike!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I have pave in my band, and while I love the look of it, just recently I''ve been frustrated because I cant properly clean it (i.e. no ultrasonic) because I don''t live near the jeweler so if stone falls out it isn''t an easy task to put it back in!

So no real regrets in that I don''t wish I had something plainer, but some irritations once in a while.

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
My EC was set in a knife edge pave band, and it was just too much form me and my little EC. I have a gorg solitaire now, and I could NOT be happier.

My wedding band (to be worn in 8 days!!!) is a channel set made from the original pave band.

I just feel solitaires don''t ever look dated and you can mix them up with different bands, etc.

historychick

Shiny_Rock
when I was engaged 4 years ago my husband proposed with a .52ct princess solitare. He didn''t ask me what I wanted or liked and just sort of wandered into a mall store where the clerk told him that women my age liked white gold and princess cuts. I was happy to accept his proposal but I didn''t like the ring. I don''t know if I disliked the solitare b/c of the cut (I''ve never been a princess fan personally...although there are some knock out ones on ps) or the size but I always felt like the little stone needed some ommph. Although If I had a 1ct round solitare I think I would be happy with it alone or in a nice clean bezel. My point is that you will be much happier with a solitare if you are happy with your center stone being the main attraction. If you love your diamond and want are happy with it solo then I think a solitare is a very classic look that will always look good. Stacking and pave bands can always be added or taken away depending on your mood.

Soon2bMrs.B

Rough_Rock
I have a solitare, and will be wearing my 7 stone memoire band with it after my Oct . wedding. I like having a solitare! You can always change the look of it, by wearing a different band with it if you want to. A solitare is a classic look, and I don''t think anyone can go wrong by choosing one. Good luck with your decision!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the same boat as you - I have a solitaire, but I keep thinking that I either want to change it to a pave band, shared-prong band, or 3-stone maybe. I have just held on to the old setting because I can''t make up my mind.

The one thing that I do know that I would like is a Tiffany-style 6-prong head on my ring. I may even decide to keep it solitiare if I switch to the 6-prong head.

I think the nice thing about solitaires is you have a lot of versatility, can wear it with different bands. But my solitaire ring doesn''t get nearly as many compliments as my friends rings with sidestones, even though many of them have smaller center stones. I think the sidestones add a lot more bling factor to the whole look.

mrsv

Brilliant_Rock
Have you gone and tried one different diamond bands and solitaires? Each person has their own comfort level. You may want to go have have a look at the bands and see if the styles which most attract your eye are equally pleasing to wear.
A solitaire will likely always bring to mind an engagement, but a simple band is easily worn under gloves, you don''t need to worry about spinning, and perhaps DSS will never hit you?
If you got a diamond band would the band function for both wedding and engagement ring, if so would this please you? If not would you like the look of a a couple or few bands as your wedding set? Is one ring more likely to fit into the lifestyle you lead more easily?

That said I have a simple three stone, I don''t have to worry about it being hit against things from the underside or checking for loose stone.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
No regrets at all.

js_diamond

Shiny_Rock
I initially wanted a solitaire b/c I thought it made the center stone look bigger than having sidestones. So I told the fiance to get this for me and I loved the clean look. So he did. I wore it for a few mos, but felt something was missing. I agree that you really have to feel comfortable w/the size of the center stone. I also didn''t really like the white gold, 4 prong setting I had. I changed the setting to very dainty half eternity band w/6 prong and couldn''t be happier. I have received a lot of compliments since having it done.

dr.stacie

Rough_Rock
I think I may be one of the few who preferred something "a little more" than my original solitaire. I started with a knife edge platinum solitaire. We tried to jazz it up with enhancers/wraps but i really just wanted one ring. So, we recently had it reset into something custom with two small princess cut diamonds on each side of the center stone (RB) 1and then some pave that goes all the way around the band (hard to describe). i''ve always been a "classic, traditional" kind of girl, but after 3 years of wearing it, I just wanted something "more". it is still a very classic setting...with just a little more oomph.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
No regrets at all..my solitaire is so versatile. If hubby had given me a diamond band only, I would wear that proudly as well. Lucky for me, I have both!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I got a simple solitaire e-ring about 35 years ago. The original diamond was 0.18 ct (so tiny, but very good quality). My knuckles enlarged during pregnancy, and so I wore a channel set half eternity band for years when my children were small. I got a beautiful 1.5 ct upgraded ring in platinum with lots of side stones, but it often feels like too much, so I don''t wear it as much as I did my smaller, simple solitaire. After finding PS, I pulled out my old solitaire, had the size adjusted, replaced the center stone with a 0.63 ct isee2 from GOG, and my old solitaire e-ring is back on my finger where it belongs. I feel like I''ve come home again.
1.gif

Solitaires with simple metal bands are just downright more wearable on a day-to-day basis. And, they are classic and timeless.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know for certain that if I could pick between a larger center diamond solitaire or a smaller center diamond with side diamonds or eternity, I''d go for the larger single stone. Mine is a solitaire and it''s fine. I may have chosen a different setting, but am happy with a single stone.

sukiisukii

Shiny_Rock
I love my solitaire! its a long story but basically hubby proposed with a very simple solitaire with tiny pave then i got fussy and changed it to a blingier three stone setting, then almost two years later, i miss the simplicity of a solitaire, therefore changed it back into the original setting...

sigh... i am so hard to satisfy
emwink.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol, this is hard to decide, i have had both and i like both, it just depends on my mood that month, i think i need at least 3 or 4 different sets to go with my moods lol
3.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I have a solitaire with channel set stones on each side. Sometimes I think I would prefer a lone solitaire, and sometimes I think I would prefer the small diamonds to be prong set instead of channel set.

decolady

Rough_Rock
I went from the most incredible antique diamond platinum setting, to a leon split claw solitaire (upgraded from 2ct OEC to a 3 carat antique cushion) I have yet to be given the leon but I HOPE I have no regrets
12.gif

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh, I'm not going to be any help........I'm torn on the same subject! But I'll share my situation. My original ering was a 1.52ct princess cut with small, .25ctw princess side stones and a .5ct bar set princess wedding band. All pretty poor quality. I got compliments CONSTANTLY. Everywhere I went! Everyone loved the set! Well, the center stone broke and I got to start from scratch last year. I got the WF classic tiffany knife edge solitaire and a signed pieces 1.68ctw eternity band. Originally had a 1.59 AGS0 J/SI2 stone, "up"graded to a 1.82ct K SI2 ideal cut stone, WF approved to be great cuts!!! ALL THAT to just explain the situation----WELL, I literally NEVER EVER receive any compliments on my rings. An OCCASSIONAL "that's BIG" which is nice I guess but never the "oooooooooh, so pretty!" I agree with vespergirl, solitaires just don't get the ooooh, ahhhh review factor.
37.gif
I love my rings, I think they are GoRgEoUs, and I KNOW the stones are cut a million times better than my old rings..........but I frequently question my decision.
6.gif
In fact, lately I've been just drooling over and dreaming about eventually *hopefully maybe if I'm really lucky* having my stone reset into a Leon classic pear side stone setting
30.gif
30.gif
. Because I think it would go well with my eternity band still. Sorry for the long BORING reply, the question you posed just hit close to home.
2.gif
I honestly love my rings, I agree that they are just SO great with jeans and a tshirt AND dressy clothes, but I often long for a little more *wow* factor I guess........I was trying to fill that void with SIZE of center stone, but my pocket book won't allow any more in that department for a very long time and I don't know really what it would take, for me probably stinking 3cts to feel WOW about it and that, the 3ct, will NEVER happen in my lifetime without winning the lottery......
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a solitaire for 30 years and still chose a solitaire for my anniversary upgrade! I love wearing diamond wedding bands with it, though!

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Okay, so I think I may be in the minority here of fellow PSers but I love my custom ering with lots of "friends". (which will be ready to wear in about a day or so!! WOHOO!!) I have a 1.56 EC as my center with two smaller EC''s on the side. The band is set with 6 channel princess cuts. (3 on each side). I have 200% NEVER been a solitare girl...I always believed a diamond should have "friends" and I couldn''t be happier with my choice.

HOWEVER...I do love a classic solitaire on others....I just know that''s not for me. Make sense? In the end you have to go for what makes YOU happy because you are the one who is going to wear it. When I first started my process so many people (even my own mom) tried to convince me to get a solitaire. I tried to love them, I really did but every time I put one of my hand...eventhough it was beautiful I just knew it wasn''t for me.

When you get the butterflies and your throat catches...then you KNOW that''s the one....

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock
Argh, i just wrote a long response, and what happened? The darn computer went wierd on me...
I'll try to sum it up.
Thank you all for your responses! It's very interesting to read your thoughts on this.
I've been at work all day so I haven't had the chance to reply.
Anyway, My BF and I had a talk last night, about our future engagement and the ring. Where I live the norm is to get engaged with plain gold bands, and save the big bucks for the wedding ring. So we're getting plain bands (Cartier Love ring) as engagement rings, but he wants me to have something with diamonds aswell. I have figured out that I want a chunky eternity band for my wedding ring, something in lines of .30-.40 ct stones. But I just can't figure out what I want for my engagement ring, somedays I long for a solitaire (but given the budget as of today, I can't go above 1 ct), so I don't want to spend to much on the setting, so sidestones and pave is out for now. Another option is to wait till the wedding, and get a bigger diamond (maybe 1.50 ct), put it in a more intricate setting or a 3-stone as a wedding ring, and just get a diamond band now for the engagement.

Somedays I want a smaller shared prong eternity band with maybe .10 ct stones, but then I think it might look too much as my future wedding ring (the chunky eternity band). Somedays I want a 4 mm bezel set diamond eternity band, and TODAY I'm dying for a Cartier trinity ring replica, all WG or plat with diamonds on all three bands, maybe Whiteflash could make me one.

So, as you can see...I'm alllll over the place.

Anyhow, here's the sooo pretty trinity ring

trinity.JPG

Nocturnius

Shiny_Rock
My engagement ring didn''t have any stones at all. I don''t wear it anymore.

I got a solitaire setting for my wedding ring, and I would do it all over again. My husband plans on upgrading my ring in a few years; when he purchased my wedding ring (which I love for sentimental reasons, mind you) he knew it wasn''t my "dream" ring and is determined to eventually be able to get that "dream" ring for me. When I showed him what that was, he was shocked; he was expecting a three-stone ring. He found out, however, that I really want a solitaire and I always have.

I''ve looked at all other kinds, three stones, eternity banded, etc. But I just love the clean lines and simplicity of a solitaire.

mrsv

Brilliant_Rock
My LM five stone can be seen here, the ring is a size six now, but a 5.5 in the pictures (gained some weight whoops!). The stones are 4.5mm each, all are F/SI1 ideal cuts.
If you would like I can take some pictures of it on my hand.

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/26/2008 10:43:15 PM
Author: mrsv
My LM five stone can be seen here, the ring is a size six now, but a 5.5 in the pictures (gained some weight whoops!). The stones are 4.5mm each, all are F/SI1 ideal cuts.
If you would like I can take some pictures of it on my hand.
OMG, this is hysterical, You don't want to know how MANY times I would go on his website to check out that ring, I finally saved the pic on my comp and check it out everytime i'm on the comp..lol..and I even e-mailed Leon Mege about it, twice, and never got a reply. pah! This must be fate...
23.gif

It's soooo beatiful, so clean, ah...
18.gif
Is it your engagement ring?

Please start a thread for that beauty, it sure deserves one! and post about a billion pics...prettyyy pleaaaaase
5.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2008 9:18:32 AM
Author: October2008bride
I have pave in my band, and while I love the look of it, just recently I''ve been frustrated because I cant properly clean it (i.e. no ultrasonic) because I don''t live near the jeweler so if stone falls out it isn''t an easy task to put it back in!

So no real regrets in that I don''t wish I had something plainer, but some irritations once in a while.
I could have written that post myself, word for word!!! EXACTLY!!!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I just sent off my solitaire to be re-set into...another solitaire.
Solitaires for me! I''m not into diamonds on the shank of e-rings, but I''ve seem some on PS that are exquisite.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
wow tough question.
Like others have said, a solitare has alot more versatility. It''s also so traditional that "psychologically", it''s something I want to own. That said, I also have a 5 stone ring that I find I wear more than my solitare, as I think it looks better on my hand.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results