shape
carat
color
clarity

Solder point turned yellow on platinum ring

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it typical for a platinum ring to have a gold solder point that's then rhodium-plated? Is the yellowing of this solder point the result of rhodium-plating wearing off, or is it something else?

metal.jpg

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I found this on VC website.
E3905C4F-ECB8-44C6-A1F8-A9A54E436C41.jpeg

You kind of have to read between the lines, but it does sound like it’s saying there is some “matching” of metals going on between the platinum and the metal used to solder the pieces together to make it “less apparent.”

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Did they use platinum? If they used platinum it shouldn't be an issue. I would ask for the reasoning/clarification on material used.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the rest of the ring is platinum then they should have used platinum for solder work.
Platinum never goes “yellow”, if you can see yellow then gold was used.
And yes, high carat ie 18ct white gold is still yellowish which is why they rhodium plate it to make it a silvery shiny colour.
Im not sure if they can/ do rhodium plate platinum but yes, rhodium plating “wears off”. I have my rings, 18ct white gold, re rhodium plated every year.

sunandsky

Shiny_Rock
You can platinum plate things in case that ends up being the best option for you. That solder point probably wouldn’t get a lot of wear and the plating would likely last a while (not saying you should like it, etc, just fyi that this is an option)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
White gold is at times used on plat jewellery(more so in the past) but that looks just like yellow gold.
metal.jpg
My first question is if its just something that is on there like a flux residue or something.
I have also seen it done intentionally as a part of the design but that makes no sense there.
I would talk to whoever made it and have it professionally steam cleaned.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is an older thread on it:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
White gold is at times used on plat jewellery(more so in the past) but that looks just like yellow gold.
metal.jpg
My first question is if its just something that is on there like a flux residue or something.
I have also seen it done intentionally as a part of the design but that makes no sense there.
I would talk to whoever made it and have it professionally steam cleaned.

From Karl’s blown up image, it almost looks rose gold. I know your halo is in rose gold. Now I’m wondering if the halo and the whole head/prongs were all in rose gold and they rhodium plated the prongs.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just ask Victor.

He’s an expert at this, so if they did use gold solder then there’s a [good] reason. First thing that comes to mind is that you have to unset stones to work with high temperature (platinum) solders, maybe there was a conflicting order of events (the melee on the struts needed to be set before attaching the head, say).

I don’t know. I’m guessing. We’re all guessing. Victor will know and Victor can fix it, whatever it is.

Edited to add - less than zero possibility that he rhodium plated an entire gold head of a “platinum” ring. Victor Canera would never do something like that.

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Kim N,

When a ring is made in two-tone; platinum and gold, gold solder needs to be used. Why? Because using platinum solder would melt the gold parts of the ring. The softest platinum solder is something like 1100°C which is already past the gold melting point of ~1064°C without alloying. The ring is then rhodium plated in parts where it’s possible to hide the gold solder. If you’d like us to rhodium plate that small point, we’d be happy to do it for you.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone, and thanks, Victor Canera. I appreciate it!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I had this solder on an old ring and it bugged the heck out of me. It was only supposed to be platinum so I forgot why the jeweler used gold solder. Anyway looks like VC is on top of it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results