shape
carat
color
clarity

Sold Engagement Ring With Mismarked Gold

mandala

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Five months ago I purchased an engagement ring setting. The setting was marked as 18k. I brought in a family diamond and had the jeweler set the stone in the setting that I chose.

I just took the stone to another local jeweler to have the ring appraised. I was informed that they did the acid test and that my ring was actually 14k.

What are my options against the original jeweler that sold me mismarked gold?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd suggest getting another opinion. At this point you have no idea who is wrong, the 1st jeweller or the 2nd jeweller, it could easily be either of them.

What do you mean what are your options against them? If it isn't 18k as sold then speak with the jeweller who sold the setting to try to work something out such as a full refund for return of the setting, having them replace it with a 18k gold setting, or giving you the price difference between 14k and 18k gold. It's only if they won't enter discussions with you that you really need to work out what your options are "against" the jeweller. If you go in guns blazing without explaining the problem with them calmly first they're probably going to be defensive and somewhat less willing to work out a solution which you can both prefer.

mandala

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I very much appreciate your advice. I will go to get another opinion. I'll get the ring appraised by another certified appraiser. I of course would prefer to work something out with the jeweler.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results