shape
carat
color
clarity

Soft stones in bezel? Yea or Nay???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Romeblue

Rough_Rock
Ok I am a bit perplexed. I have a demantoid I want put in a nikawa stillness gold settting BECAUSE Demis are soft at 6.5 and this setting looks to be a bit protective.

Then I get this email from the setting company-who shall remain nameless- that says setting soft stones in bezels is not a good idea. I have actually seen this more than once but I dunno why it would not be a good idea.

I don't get it.

I cannot set it in prongs as the stone may get damaged, I cannot set in bevel as that is no good according to them . So what am I suppossed to set it in
20.gif
?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s not so much the softness of the stone but cleavage? I may be wrong. Anyway, the answer that I''ve heard is that while the bezel may protect the stone, it also means that there is more tension needed to set it, therefore, it''s easier to break the stone when setting. So it''s not that the setting (meaning the ring) is bad for the stone, but that there''s more of hazard of breakage in the act of setting your stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about low set in a bezel type halo with prongs? I had my demantoid in such a ring for a year, and it was very well protected. I recently changed out the stone in the setting because I wanted another stone in there.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bezels are hard to put on, so someone unfamiliar with them/uncomfortable with them might be afraid of damaging a soft stone. I do think there is a higher risk in setting a soft stone in a bezel, but if you can do it successfully then it''s very protective.

That''s my guess...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to have a tanzanite bezel set and was advised by 2 jewellers that I trust not to do it. As everybody else has said, once set, the gemstone would be nicely protected but it''s the bending over of the gold and the pressure it needs to put the bezel in place that can damage the stone.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 3:06:29 PM
Author:Romeblue
I cannot set it in prongs as the stone may get damaged, I cannot set in bevel as that is no good according to them . So what am I suppossed to set it in
20.gif
?

I don''t know about you but my gemstone rings are more in danger of being hit on the table than on the girdle so prong vs. bezel doesn''t really matter. When I''m wearing my demantoid ring I''m always very careful when unlocking my front door... I have terrible visions of the back of my hand colliding with the door frame as I fiddle with the key.

If you want to protect the sides of a stone then put it in the center of a three stone ring or put a halo of stones around it or, if you want a solitaire, use 6 (or more) prongs rather than 4.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 3:48:33 PM
Author: neatfreak
Bezels are hard to put on, so someone unfamiliar with them/uncomfortable with them might be afraid of damaging a soft stone. I do think there is a higher risk in setting a soft stone in a bezel, but if you can do it successfully then it''s very protective.

That''s my guess...
I just got this hilarious mental image of a cartoon gemstone trying to zip up a bezel dress, LOL.

I know. I''m odd.

Romeblue

Rough_Rock
Thankyou very much You all explained things well and it all makes sense.
emteeth.gif
I will consider that 6 prong option.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results