shape
carat
color
clarity

SoCal Vendor/Designer Recommendation

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! I'm a long time lurker and I decided to join the group because I need your help. I've been married for over 3 years now and my husband has been thinking about resetting my engagement ring. I have read many threads about members getting their rings reset but it sounds like many of the more popular designers are either local in regards to the members' residence or the members actually sent out jewelry in the mail. I'm not a fan of the latter because I have lost jewelry in the mail before and I certainly don't want to lose my e-ring.

I used Pricescope's search engine for jewelers near me and it gave me a long list. I'm not sure if the search engine just used my zip code to find the jewelers or are these jewelers considered Pricescope 'approved' (are they legit?).

I want to get the members' recommendations on reputable jewelers that can custom design a setting and possibly buy my current diamond for an upgrade here in Los Angeles. I appreciate everyone's help.

Attached

Rough_Rock
Have you tried looking into the jewelers in Chinatown. That's where I got my setting at. The lady mentioned to me when I was looking at settings that they do custom work too, which is what I plan on doing within the next couple months for my band.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bridget Durnell and Maytal Hannah are both local and do beautiful work. 23rd Street Jewelers is in Santa Monica does beautiful work
but reviews on them are mixed. Singlestone, is in Pasadena if you like an antique look. I believe Jewels by Erica Grace is local
and they are wonderful.

I wouldn't fear choosing an online vendor. I would send my ring in a heart beat to Brian Gavin Diamonds. Whiteflash is another option
that does beautiful work and both are in Houston.

I am sure there are more but I can't think of anymore this early in the morning. What area are you looking at?

I would look at Icing on the Ring, and Phillip Press of Renaissance Platinum. I spoke to he and Bridget when I was looking for a new
setting and both were great.

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Attached|1300109631|2871292 said:
Have you tried looking into the jewelers in Chinatown. That's where I got my setting at. The lady mentioned to me when I was looking at settings that they do custom work too, which is what I plan on doing within the next couple months for my band.

I tried going to Chinatown before but it seems like you get the best deals if you speak Chinese. My friend is willing to go with me but she's always away for a business trip and I can't predict when and how long she'll be in LA. I'm not going to discount your idea, I think it's worth trying.

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1300110124|2871299 said:
Bridget Durnell and Maytal Hannah are both local and do beautiful work. 23rd Street Jewelers is in Santa Monica does beautiful work
but reviews on them are mixed. Singlestone, is in Pasadena if you like an antique look. I believe Jewels by Erica Grace is local
and they are wonderful.

I wouldn't fear choosing an online vendor. I would send my ring in a heart beat to Brian Gavin Diamonds. Whiteflash is another option
that does beautiful work and both are in Houston.

I am sure there are more but I can't think of anymore this early in the morning. What area are you looking at?

I would look at Icing on the Ring, and Phillip Press of Renaissance Platinum. I spoke to he and Bridget when I was looking for a new
setting and both were great.

These are all great recommendations! I live in the San Gabriel Valley area and so Santa Monica and Pasadena are close by. I'm intrigued by your statement regarding sending out your ring to Houston. Have you done it before? What was your experience? What happens if your ring gets lost in the mail?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've sent diamonds back and forth several times. You send them by the US post office registered mail. It is slow but extremely secure. The item is insured when you send it, of course, but hopefully you have insurance for your ring, too. This really is no big deal and people here do it all the time! We see a lot of resets here!

However, finding someone who'd trade your current diamond might be a harder matter. Is it either a GIA Excellent cut or AGS Ideal? If not, then you may find it isn't worth trading it because you'll likely lose a lot of what was paid. Some people just keep the old stone and have a pendant made or something so as not to take the loss on the original stone. Obviously if the place the diamond was purchased has an upgrade policy, that would be the first thing to check in to.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Because I've admired their pieces for years and because they very recently did such a beautiful job on my grandmother's ring, I have to mention Single Stone - especially if you love old cut diamonds. I went to their showroom on Hill Street, but you can work through the San Marino storefront, too.

Take a stroll through the Hand Crafted & Vintage Inspired Collections on their website! singlestone.com

Angietaren

Rough_Rock
You should add Victor Canera to your shopping list. I've gotten my ring from him and he's really easy to work with.

Attached

Rough_Rock
eh613c|1300116638|2871371 said:
Attached|1300109631|2871292 said:

I tried going to Chinatown before but it seems like you get the best deals if you speak Chinese. My friend is willing to go with me but she's always away for a business trip and I can't predict when and how long she'll be in LA. I'm not going to discount your idea, I think it's worth trying.

You should try Heang Hua Heng Jewelry. I walked into all the other jewelry stores in Chinatown and none were as friendly as the owners, especially the wife, of this store. The majority of the other jewelry stores either ignored my fiancee and me because we looked like too young to have "that kind of money to buy anything from their store" or shrugged us off because they were helping all the other Asian people. They gave us a great deal on our setting and we don't even speak Chinese.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eh613, both of those would be relatively close to you. I think Durnell is in Pacific Palisades or around there. Philip Press is in LA.
(I lived for years in Whittier!) I would also suggest that if you are up for a lovely lunch, take a drive out to Mulloy's in Carlsbad.
It is a lovely store with a ton of settings for you to try on. It is pretty close to the beach and you can find a great place for
lunch. My DH and I did it and it was a wonderful day.

I bought my first upgrade diamond from Whiteflash, when Brian was there and then a couple years ago upgraded one last time
again with Brian at BGD. Did you insure your diamond? If you did, and the company insures in transit, I would overnight it to
them. I sent my ring to New York from California that way. Registered insured is very safe and can cover the cost of your diamond,
but it is very very nerve-wrackingly slow. When you use FedEX you package it in a smaller box, then stuff it so it feels weighted and
nothing moves in a larger box. You don't indicate that it is jewelry or tell anybody that. Brian and Lesley could give you all the info
on that. Seriously they do it all the time, probably receiving dozens of packages a day.

They do lovely work and you would be thrilled with your ring, I am sure. They will by far be the best priced. I did do all the research
and go to a ton of places so I was sure of what I wanted. It is a fun journey to be on!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results