shape
carat
color
clarity

Snoring, hmm?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! So I have a snoring question. FI snores..a lot. I am not sure if it is sleep apnea, so I will force him to go to the doctor and have it checked out. But I don''t really need sleep apnea info or anything (a lot of people in my family have it so I''ve been through the basic info on that). What I really want to know is, what else helps? I know his snoring gets worse when his allergies are especially bad. I also know he needs to lose weight (so do I). But, it seems to me that as he sleeps he actually moves his head down and restricts the airway which causes the snoring. He snores a lot less when he''s on his side, sometimes not at all. It just seems that he inevitably moves his head into that horrible position! I think losing weight will definitely help if this is the cause.

So, other than seeing a doctor (which again I will make him do! ugh men, no offense to any men reading this but man they can be stubborn), any advice? Any home remedies or sprays or something? Anything?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear....I can sympathise and I know I won't be the only one here!!
2.gif
The only thing I have found that helps, after years of me kicking, pinching, and punching him which makes no difference
11.gif
, as the second he awakes, he falls back to sleep and starts again within seconds
emotion-39.gif
, are:

1) He sleeps on the couch.

2) You wear earplugs.

Sorry, I can't be of more help, but I feel your pain!
35.gif
Hey I just thought of something
emidea.gif
emdgust.gif
You say he snores less when he sleeps on his side? You could try the old trick of tying a hairbrush to his back! Just kidding...sort of!

My DH has gained weight and I think that is part of why it has been bad recently, so he will be back on the treadmill soon, he definitely snores less when he isn't carrying extra poundage, so it would be worth your fiance losing a few if he can.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m listening to my FI snore LOUDLY as I type this, so I definitely know what you''re going through. Besides going to a doctor and getting recommendations (he has sleep apnea), there''s not much that''s helped. I do notice it''s worse when he''s sleeping on his back or side, so I always try to get him to sleep on his stomach. That seems to help a bit. Honestly though, most nights, I sleepily walk to our guest room to get a better night''s sleep. Sorry I couldn''t be of more help.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just out of curiosity what do they do for sleep apnea and how do you know if you have it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m just here to symphatise with you. My hubby snores loud enough to be heard downstairs with the door closed. Kicking and etc does not help. He snores loud enough to get through my earplug "barrier" and I wear industrial ones too. Therefore, he''s been banished to the spare room./idealbb/editor/cute/images/emembarrassed.gif

The 2 main things that aren''t helping is his weight gain and dreadful allergies. The nose strips don''t do a thing and he loves to sleep on his back. So sorry I''m of no help.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2008 8:26:15 AM
Author: Chrono
I'm just here to symphatise with you. My hubby snores loud enough to be heard downstairs with the door closed. Kicking and etc does not help. He snores loud enough to get through my earplug 'barrier' and I wear industrial ones too. Therefore, he's been banished to the spare room.
imgnotfound.jpg

The 2 main things that aren't helping is his weight gain and dreadful allergies. The nose strips don't do a thing and he loves to sleep on his back. So sorry I'm of no help.

OMG, I am sitting her chuckling, seeing others posting, especially with kicking him out of bed!!! You too Chrono and Zoe???
11.gif
I think our problems seem to be worse in winter when we can't have the bedroom window cracked, then he snores so badly I can't stand it. So he is having to sleep elsewhere for the time being, but I do feel better knowing that we are not the only ones going through this - thanks for starting this thread Sarah
9.gif
You know what also amazes me? How they can snore so loudly and stay asleep....I lie there fuming and just waiting for the next one
32.gif

I bet there will be others who will chime in sometime....
28.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei,
He''s been banished for a few years now ever since my kicking him up numerous times throughout the night "kept him up". Yeah right, like his snoring all night long doesn''t keep me up. He moved out when I was pregnant and needed my sleep and the bed felt too small with all my support pillows. It worked out best this way as we both get our much needed sleep. Of course, we still cuddle at other times, so we still stay physically close, just not at sleeping time.
11.gif
I hated listening to his breathing - it sounded like he was struggling to breathe, which I suppose it was because his sinuses were "clogged".

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2008 8:43:29 AM
Lorelei,
He''s been banished for a few years now ever since my kicking him up numerous times throughout the night ''kept him up''. Yeah right, like his snoring all night long doesn''t keep me up. He moved out when I was pregnant and needed my sleep and the bed felt too small with all my support pillows. It worked out best this way as we both get our much needed sleep. Of course, we still cuddle at other times, so we still stay physically close, just not at sleeping time.
11.gif
I hated listening to his breathing - it sounded like he was struggling to breathe, which I suppose it was because his sinuses were ''clogged''.
LOL!!!! Mine has '' clogged'' sinuses too! I then have to listen to his charming descriptions of how they would '' drain'' when he awoke
23.gif
Yuck. I think that is the thing, is that there really isn''t a lot you can do and it can so bring you down not having any sleep, is to go your separate ways at sleeptime. Mine does this guttural sort of lengthy drawn out, strangulated grunt, which seems to resonate from deep within his chest, not the traditional type snorty snore. I tell you, sleeping with that unholy racket beside you, the prospect of sleep is exceedingly remote!
40.gif
He also adds variety by gnashing his teeth
32.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2008 8:49:45 AM
Author: Lorelei

Lorelei,
He''s been banished for a few years now ever since my kicking him up numerous times throughout the night ''kept him up''. Yeah right, like his snoring all night long doesn''t keep me up. He moved out when I was pregnant and needed my sleep and the bed felt too small with all my support pillows. It worked out best this way as we both get our much needed sleep. Of course, we still cuddle at other times, so we still stay physically close, just not at sleeping time.
11.gif
I hated listening to his breathing - it sounded like he was struggling to breathe, which I suppose it was because his sinuses were ''clogged''.
LOL!!!! Mine has '' clogged'' sinuses too! I then have to listen to his charming descriptions of how they would '' drain'' when he awoke
23.gif
Yuck. I think that is the thing, is that there really isn''t a lot you can do and it can so bring you down not having any sleep, is to go your separate ways at sleeptime. Mine does this guttural sort of lengthy drawn out, strangulated grunt, which seems to resonate from deep within his chest, not the traditional type snorty snore. I tell you, sleeping with that unholy racket beside you, the prospect of sleep is exceedingly remote!
40.gif
32.gif
Yes, it is a very guttural snort. You''ve nailed the description accurately. I''m glad mine doesn''t grind his teeth, but I have to put up with the nose blowing in the morning. It sounds like I have elephants in the bathroom every morning.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2008 8:53:58 AM

Date: 5/5/2008 8:49:45 AM

Lorelei,
11.gif
23.gif
40.gif
32.gif
Yes, it is a very guttural snort. You''ve nailed the description accurately. I''m glad mine doesn''t grind his teeth, but I have to put up with the nose blowing in the morning. It sounds like I have elephants in the bathroom every morning.
Hahaha!!!! TOO funny! Mine does that and then I hear comments like " oh man..." after each blow, just to make sure I am aware of how he is suffering!
2.gif
I think I am the one more deserving of pity having to go without sleep night after night!
39.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 8:31:34 AM

28.gif
*chiming in*
11.gif

My guy has snored since day one. On his back, on his side, on his stomach, no matter. I coiuld stand him on his head and he'd still snore.
20.gif
And he's skinny as can be. I spent almost twent years with interrupted sleep, and finally got ear plugs. What a life saver, but it might not be advisable with young children you may need to hear during the night.

There are several types of snore gaurds, which I didn't know about until doing a search just now. My BIL is an orthodontist, and devised one himself, similar I believe to the Klearwear in the link. I know my hubby has 2 siblings that had him make one for them, and they do seem to work. So I asked BIL to make hubby one. Well, once he got him in the office, he decided his teeth needed lined up, closed a bit. So he put those invisable braces on him first (which he's still wearing), which is sorta like the snore gaurd, and miraculously, hubby doesn't snore near as much. So, you might check into that.

http://www.doctorspiller.com/snore_guards.htm#Prefabricated%20appliances

Funny story. When we were first living together, we lived in the top of a duplex. We got to be friends with the couple downstairs. One night we were all talking and I brought up how bad the snoring was. Hubby, as usual, said he didn't snore (he honestly didn't think he did, but why in the hell would I make that up?? lol). Anyway, Jean, the wife, got a big grin on her face and said yes you do, we've heard you.
6.gif
I did NOT ask if they ever heard anything else, I didn't want to know....

creepaway3.gif

9.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh, snoring is terrible. MH snores horribly....honestly most nights we dont sleep together b/c its so bad, and to top it off I am a very light sleeper, so I just cant tolerate it at all....

Hubby has been putting off going to a dr for yrs now....I dont think he has sleep apnea....And I dont believe its his wt. causing the problem, since he is not heavy...I think he just has structural problems (like a deviated septum) and is unable to breathe properly through his nose. Bottom line is that unless this problem is 100% corrected, I dont think we will ever sleep together consistently!!! I just cant do it!!!!

I dont have much advice to give, Sarah.....but I did hear that sometimes cool mist humidifiers can help....I think I may go out and purchase one this wk just to see....but I really doubt it will do that much!

Good luck!!!

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
When my husband got his CPAP machine, it changed my life. Not only does it stop his snoring and help him get better rest, but it also generates a lovely white noise that helps my (notoriously bad) sleep as well.

Sarah, if your husband is diagnosed with sleep apnea and gets a CPAP, my one piece of advice would be to have him try different types of masks. My husband went through 6-7 before he found one that is comfortable.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2008 9:11:05 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 5/5/2008 8:31:34 AM

28.gif
*chiming in*
11.gif
face20.gif

krispi

Shiny_Rock
My BF snores prettly loudly, and I''m a light sleeper - the worst combination, but we still manage to make it in the same bed most nights. (I don''t have the luxury of a guest room...) Here are some things I''ve found that really help over the years:

We usually sleep on the opposite edges of the bed, facing away from each other. (I''m not one for cuddling in my sleep at all!)

I keep a really loud fan on my nightstand. I don''t use it for the air - in fact I point it away from me - but it''s great for drowning out the noise of his snoring. I run it all night long, every night.

He snores worst when he''s on his back. If it''s really bad, I''ll gently roll him over onto his side in the middle of the night. This usually works really well.

My BF''s problems are due to his sinuses. When he''s really congested, we use a hot air humidifer that helps him (and me too) not get clogged up as badly.

He refuses to wear the strips, but there are some pretty good nose sprays and throat sprays out there.

If all else fails, I will break out the earplugs. Those, combined with the fan, usually do the trick even when it''s really bad. I just don''t like to wear them every night because I find them uncomfortable. My ears are usually sore the next morning, but for good sleep when I really need it, they''re worth it!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, fellow snore-sufferers
35.gif
. I'm folllowing this thread with great interest because my bf snores with the roar of Niagara falls.

I have a few methods, none very successful:
1) roll him over on the stomach - stops snoring. I read once this tip. Find a tshirt with a pocket. Wear the tshirt backwards and place a tennis ball in the pocket. It's uncomfortable to sleep on the back this way, so he'll always roll back to the stomach. I haven't been able to get him to do this.
2) nudge, kick, clap hands - lull in snoring so I can fall asleep.
3) earplugs - works well but my ears are always sore in the morning.
4) see a doctor - see working on this one....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL!!!
35.gif
Another bleary eyed, sleep deprived PSer joins our ranks!
41.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to wear earplugs every night. My hubby snores so loud, I swear they can hear him in the next city.

I can still hear him through the earplugs, but it isn''t as loud.
14.gif

Linda

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
My bro had sleep apnea and the surgery helped a lot of things, not just the snoring. He no longer sleep walks, he no longer moves all over the bed when he sleeps. Not only that, but he actually wakes up. He failed his first year of college, but only the morning classes because nothing could get him up, no alarm, even that one that rolls away and hides itself. He is still not a morning person, but he can get up when he needs to and his sleep quality is much better.

My FI uses those strips and they really help. We did find that the generics didn''t work because the strips weren''t as long, but the brand name ones did.

The other thing that really helps is that my FI is not allowed to drink within 2 hours of going to bed. The snores are loud, constant and no matter how many times I roll him over, they start again.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Hello...following along, sleep deprived. I''m glad I''m not the only one who deals with a buzz saw in denial.

Mine also looks so HURT when I tell him he snored all night.

then again, maybe it''s because i keep punching him in the solar plexis.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Oh no...I'm actually the snorer in my household! It only happens if I'm sleeping on my back, so DH will just roll me over to my side and then it will stop. My snore is relatively light - like heavy breathing, so DH says it's easy to live with.

My parents were both diagnosed with sleep apnea a few years ago and both use CPAP machines. Honestly, if your partner snores, it's worth having a test. Untreated sleep apnea is very hard on the heart - my godfather died of a heart attack - he had sleep apnea but hated using a CPAP and so he let it go untreated.

Since I've always had problems sleeping (and with my parents' apnea/my weight, I'm at risk) so a few years ago, my parents suggested I have a sleep test. Sometimes the sleep tech people will come to your house and hook you up to a machine and you can sleep in your own home (it's monitored somewhere else) - this is what my dad did - but I went into the lab. I went in around 11 pm (they have different times to acomodate different bedtimes) and it took them an hour to hook me up. They used this glue-like stuff to attach wires everywhere - in my hair, on my chest, up my legs, on my arms - seriously, I looked like something from the Matrix. It wasn't uncomfortable at all nor was it that invasive, it just took awhile (and the glue stuff washed off in the shower, no prob). Then I went into my lab room - which looked EXACTLY like a bedroom - a normal bed, a dresser, art on the wall, deep blue walls, a TV - seriously, other than having a call button and a speaker, you'd never know that you were in a clinic - and fell asleep. It was a little uncomfortable with the wires, and there was a camera somewhere, so it was strange to know I was being watched, but seriously, it wasn't a big deal. I felt like I didn't sleep AT ALL - but apparently I did. The nurse woke me up at a little before 6am, they took all the wires off, and then I was free to go. They called a day or two later to tell me that I didn't have apnea and I slept just fine. When both my parents went in, it was clear almost immediately that they had apnea, so they were given instructions for where to get a CPAP machine and what kind of masks would work best. I agree that it's smart to try a few different kinds - both my parents sleep with the mask that covers both the mouth and nose (and my dad's machine has a humidifier - my mom's doesn't) - but my mom tried some different ones first, because she couldn't get used to the head gear.

Last fall, DH and I visited my inlaws, and when we returned from visiting some friends, my FIL had fallen asleep in the living room. His snoring was CLASSIC sleep apnea - it was a really loud throaty sound and then it would stop really abruptly. The second I heard it, I told DH that I didn't have a doubt in my mind that it was sleep apnea - it was EXACTLY how my parents used to snore. If there's any type of gasping or if the snoring is uneven - (stops and starts), then that could be an indicator. My FIL has since gotten a CPAP an is apparently sleeping MUCH better - when you have sleep apnea, you're basically waking up every few seconds because you're not breathing - the quality of sleep is HORRIBLE, and to someone who hasn't slept well in months or years, they may not even realize what's wrong.

A couple of people said they or their partner was putting off getting tested - don't wait. Sleep apnea is a really serious thing for your health, and it just doesn't make sense to suffer (both of you!) when there is a simple fix.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
My husband snores, and his losing 10lbs helped a great deal (maybe 40% better?). Also, I forced him to take a sleep study from the doctor, and they recommended a CPAP, and I agree with what Clio says. It hasn''t stopped all the snoring, but it certainly made it at least 80% better and the white noise is nice. It is a strange thing though, and getting it fitted properly is essential.

I had hoped that the doctor would suggest some of the new outpatient options I''ve found online (such as injecting saline into the soft palate to stiffen it up, or other procedures that scar/stiffen it up so it doesn''t rattle around when he''s breathing) because as nice as the CPAP is, I wanted something to treat the source, not the symptom. DH wasn''t wanting to do any of the real invasive surgeries, though, since he was not confident in their success rates (which I also agree with)

It''s amazing how his horrible snoring changes my mood from a general peace loving person into a homicidal freak...I swear I could wring his neck when it wakes me up from a nice sleep.

Good luck finding a way to address the issue!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of snoring spouses. I share all your pain.
39.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH does snore more when he weighs more. Besides that I guess I am used to it. I don''t know of any home remedies. Good luck!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are sprays for the throat (homeopathic?) that I have heard about.

I empathize, hubby snores a lot too sometimes. I can often hear it down the hallway...makes me crazy. I have to go in the guest room some nights because it truly makes me INSANE to listen to. Weight, post nasal drip, apnea can all cause it. I notice hubby is worse if he is flat on his back.

studyer83

Shiny_Rock
Things that helped us (but it sounds like you''ve got lots of good ideas from everyone here!)

We had NO luck with strips/sprays etc., but everyone''s experience is different. No harm in trying!!

1. Hubby losing weight. I''m not saying yours needs to at all -- but when mine did, it helped!
2. In the winter, making sure the room was humid enought
3. In the summer, making sure allergies are taken care of as well as possible
4. A poking stick
20.gif

Good luck! Hope its nothing serious!!!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I feel like a walking "White Noise Machine" commercial. Seriously addicting.

Seriously, nothing is worth losing sleep over, night after night. I think the couples that have separate bedrooms, when one of them has a seriously loud snoring problem, are probably ensuring a lasting marriage. As I posted somewhere else on this board. I just can''t sleep with outside noises whether it''s traffic, yapping dogs, birds.

I agree though, it would probably not be the best thing if you had small children.

Good luck Ladies, I don''t know how you do it.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can fall asleep with the television on, but for some reason, snoring drives me MAD. Hubby cannot understand what it is like to listen to a huge inhalation of air, and then all this tooting and snorting. He is hurt that sometimes, in order to get ANY sleep at all, I must go in our guestroom. I do not kick him out of OUR room, I let him slumber on. And my insomnia is so bad that I cannot handle it. I lie there and I seethe and get sooooo frustrated. It is a torture to listen to.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I''m afraid I don''t have any helpful tips, but I can empathize. DH''s snoring has driven me crazy for the past few years. I am a very light sleeper and am prone to insomnia, so it is a bad combination. I love DH dearly, but I sometimes really hate him at 3 am.
29.gif
Some nights I would lay in bed just seething because I could not sleep. I push him over onto his side, but it does not always work. I would sometimes turn on the TV because I would rather listen to that than him snoring; sometimes it would distract me enough that I could fall back asleep. I would sometimes give up in the middle of the night and move to the couch or the guest room. Once I got pregnant and could not take Ambien anymore, I was ready to go over the edge because I was so tired and frustrated. DH felt really bad and moved into the guest room 6 weeks ago. We have both been sleeping better in our separate rooms. We miss snuggling when we first go to bed, but it is worth it to me to be able to sleep. Plus, I am much more loving and cuddly during the day now that I do not spend all night resenting him!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/6/2008 12:17:28 AM
Author: diamondfan
I can fall asleep with the television on, but for some reason, snoring drives me MAD. Hubby cannot understand what it is like to listen to a huge inhalation of air, and then all this tooting and snorting. He is hurt that sometimes, in order to get ANY sleep at all, I must go in our guestroom. I do not kick him out of OUR room, I let him slumber on. And my insomnia is so bad that I cannot handle it. I lie there and I seethe and get sooooo frustrated. It is a torture to listen to.
I know LOL!!! Mine has taken it personally when I have stormed out of the bedroom in disgust to get away from the racket he makes. I wish I had one of those old reel to reel tape recorders, then I could prove to him just how bad it gets!
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results