shape
carat
color
clarity

smoothie vs. whole fruits

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

swl

Shiny_Rock
Do you like to eat fruits in its original form or smoothies? I wonder which one is more nutritious?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I love smoothies...but I also love raw fruit.

I think fruit must be healthier...because it''s natural...smoothies, you add juice, yogurt etc....

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smoothies are packed with carbs. Raw fruit is better, but you still need to watch carb intake in general. If you made your own from scratch, you'd have more control over this though. At least you'd know for sure what's going into it.

ETA: forgot to answer the question! I prefer raw because I find smoothies to be too sweet!

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer smoothies... but I think that''s because I''m too lazy to prepare fresh fruits
41.gif
I do love store-bought fruit salads though.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well it depends like anything else. If you make your own smoothies using just plain yogurt and fruit then a smoothie can be super healthy. If you pack it with sugar, juice, frozen yogurt, etc. then it makes it less healthy.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Original form. I love fresh fruit.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
fresh fruit. I do tend to make smoothies though with fresh fruit and yogurt only. Fat free yogurt that is.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I enjoy smoothies but I don''t drink them often because of all the other stuff added in. I love fresh fruit too; we have fruit salad with dinner most nights of the week. Tonight it''s peaches and nectarines, yum!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love all fruit. My smoothies are minimalist...frozen banana, strawberries, mango and a little bit of pineapple juice. Pretty low cal, for a smoothy actually.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I am a fruit FIEND, but I also LOVE LOVE LOVE fresh fruit smoothies (but only dairy free). I think both can be bad for you if not done in moderation. I probably eat too much fruit for my daily allowance (in one day I might have an apple, a nectarine, some cherries, and some pineapple, along with a glass of juice or two). I normally limit my smoothie consumption (tropical smoothie cafe has my favorite!) to one per week because of how much sugar they have. However, I gestational diabetes, so I''ve had to give up ALL my fruit except for one serving in the evening, and definitely no smoothies, and it''s honestly been the thing I miss more than anything I''ve had to cut out of my diet for the next 4 weeks =(.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
i love both - but not the store bought smoothies as they''re often too sweet, too heavy and too BIG.

but so long as it''s a smoothie i make myself, i think it has more nutrition than a single piece of fruit, as i add a couple of different types of fruit, flax seed and yoghurt for protein. it''s a nutritionally well rounded, low calorie, fat free meal, whereas one piece of fruit won''t do that for me. and they feeeel like dessert...and i luuurve dessert! sometimes i skip the yoghurt and add ice and it''s the same consistency as those icy desserts one can buy (in australia they''re called ''slushies'' - i dont know what they''re called here)

i think the problem with store bought smoothies is that things have become so supersized and over-sweetened that a store bought smoothie ends up being 500, 600, 700+ calories. when i make a smoothie, it''s in a normal drinking glass and is about 120 calories. i can have, say, a chicken salad and a smoothie and still be at about 4-500 calories. they''re calories well spent. :)

on the other hand, i often have 2 oranges, yoghurt and cinnamon for dinner if i want something light, and that''s pretty delicious too! :)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whole fruit must be healthier but I do love a good smoothie. My dad loves them too, and he often makes banana and chocolate protein powder shakes with crushed ice when I go to my parents'' house.
18.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer fruit over smoothies.
I used to eat a lot of fruit, but I''ve had to cut back because of all the sugar. I love raw veggies, too, so now I eat more veggies than fruit.

DH eats blueberries and blackberries by the bucket. Lucky for him that all that sugar doesn''t go straight to his waistline!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I prefer fresh fruit. It is also better for you. In fact I read somewhere that smoothies are one of THE WORST foods to eat, because people drink them like they would a glass of OJ, but instead of 120 calories, it is more like 400-600. (And eat a meal with it!!) Also, because of the high sugar, and low protein... it really spikes your insulin, and will make you hungrier faster.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results