shape
carat
color
clarity

small diamond - worth getting H&A?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

timetim

Rough_Rock
Hey people!

Need some help. As you can see, I''m new to this, but have done quite a fair bit of reading on diamonds. PriceScope is really useful!

My budget would only allow me to buy a diamond of 0.5ct or less(probably 0.4ct), but I want a good quality cut diamond. However, some retailers told me that with such a small diamond, I would not be able to notice any quality difference anyway. Should I pay the premium for ACA H&A, or just go with an excellent cut from anywhere?

In New Zealand, there doesn''t seem to be many diamonds that are graded, so I cannot check those offered here on HCA. =(

Thanks for your help.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/16/2008 8:08:23 AM
Author:timetim
Hey people!

Need some help. As you can see, I'm new to this, but have done quite a fair bit of reading on diamonds. PriceScope is really useful!

My budget would only allow me to buy a diamond of 0.5ct or less(probably 0.4ct), but I want a good quality cut diamond. However, some retailers told me that with such a small diamond, I would not be able to notice any quality difference anyway. Should I pay the premium for ACA H&A, or just go with an excellent cut from anywhere?

In New Zealand, there doesn't seem to be many diamonds that are graded, so I cannot check those offered here on HCA. =(

Thanks for your help.
Hi Timetim.

Science affects all stones, not just those above > 0.50ct. Even tiny melee stones benefit from top geometry. You can seek the most efficient crown & pavilion angles at 0.05ct just as you can at 0.50ct and 5.00 ct. Cut quality makes a difference in all sizes.

dbsdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
One should always look to get the best diamond for their budget with respect to color, clarity AND cut. One who suggests you don''t need it is one that is trying to push something else on you...

Marty
CEO/Pres
Diamond Brokerage Service, Inc
www.dbsdiamonds.com

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should get the absolute best stone you can afford. What ever the size. You will see a big difference between a fab cut and a bad cut!

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
In strong agreement with the previous posters on this thread, CUT quality is KING - it is the KEY to sparkle AND visual apparent size!

I thought a picture might help.

A well-cut diamond will LOOK bigger and sparkle more than a commercial or average cut larger carat diamond! Regulars to PS will likely have seen this comparison before. The stone on the left is actually smaller carat weight than the one on the right, but it looks larger because it has the topmost cut quality and hence is returning light from edge-to-edge.

comparisonxyz[2].jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The .42 I bought for wifey2b is h&a and rocks.
Yes optical symmetry is important in that size range and so is the c/p angle combination and the minor facets to answer your question.
As far as a branded cut you don't need a branded cut to get excellent cutting.
How it is cut is what makes the difference not the name it is sold under.

timetim

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for replying. I was really hoping that somehow cut quality would not be such an issue for small diamonds like some retailers told me, simply because it''s so hard to get ideal cut quality diamonds here in New Zealand.

Other than a gemologist certificate, how could I determine the cut quality of a diamond? Most diamonds here in NZ under 0.5ct do not come with a certificate at all.

Please advise. Thank you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut quality is important in getting a diamond to sparkle no matter the size. I would not go with a branded diamond like an ACA to maximize my budget. Unlike the other posters here so far, I would also go for an almost H&A stone instead of a perfect H&A. Most people cannot tell the difference anyway (while still getting a great looking diamond) and you''d stretch a little more out of a tight budget.

LBug75

Shiny_Rock
I would definately go for the best cut and quality that you can, I'm still learning too but I'll tell you what else these awesome people told me, you can go lower on the color in order to get a bigger carat as long as it's a great cut and the diamond will still face up white, there's lots of great examples on this sight !

Karl- you upgraded wifey 2 b's e-ring !! I wanna see, the first one was awesome !

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 9:15:12 PM
Author: LBug75
I would definately go for the best cut and quality that you can, I''m still learning too but I''ll tell you what else these awesome people told me, you can go lower on the color in order to get a bigger carat as long as it''s a great cut and the diamond will still face up white, there''s lots of great examples on this sight !

Karl- you upgraded wifey 2 b''s e-ring !! I wanna see, the first one was awesome !

Here is her upgrade. .42 J vs.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/she-said-yes-again.47960/

LBug75

Shiny_Rock
Wow ! Awesome as usual ! You''re hired to find my .63 come March !!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/19/2008 8:16:52 PM
Author: timetim
Thanks everyone for replying. I was really hoping that somehow cut quality would not be such an issue for small diamonds like some retailers told me, simply because it''s so hard to get ideal cut quality diamonds here in New Zealand.

Other than a gemologist certificate, how could I determine the cut quality of a diamond? Most diamonds here in NZ under 0.5ct do not come with a certificate at all.

Please advise. Thank you!
It depends on the seller to a large degree; one with a good source for "ideal" melee - not graded, but proven/reliable. As for who...NZ is undiscovered country for me (apart from a nice sauvignon blanc in my chiller). Perhaps Garry H knows someone there?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I bought H&A for my diamond studs, I think that was the best decision I made. They have so much life an sparkle compaired to my old earings, and they shine in every light. Mine are 1/3 ct each. They are small, but they I see sparkle across the room when I look in the mirror.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks John - sorry i do not know any recommended sellers - there are a couple of well equipped appraisers though with scanners and diamcalc and ideal-scopes ASET etc
Can email you there details if you want to contact me.

But really I suggest you should buy an ideal-scope (and then i will get rich and retire as i have a vested interest)

trickymicky69

Rough_Rock
i thought the same as you but here is a pic of my .52 carat aca and compared to my friends vg/vg/vg the difference is amazing.

light return is like she has a torch on her finger!

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
I'd definitely consider one of Whiteflash's Expert Selection diamonds as I have these as a martini pendant and also stud earrings. Most of the ES diamonds are beautifully cut, but just miss being ACA's. Talk to the guys over at WF about what you're looking for and they should be able to suggest some options?

Wink Jones and Good Old Gold are other's who have access to ideal / very well cut which are either 100% H&A or very close to that.

I'm pretty good at keeping my diamonds clean as I have an ultrasonic cleaner, but friends notice my diamonds are very sparkly, even when dirty, whereas less well cut diamonds don't seem to shine as much even when spotlessly clean.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/20/2008 2:42:46 PM
Author: just_looking!
I'd definitely consider one of Whiteflash's Expert Selection diamonds as I have these as a martini pendant and also stud earrings. Most of the ES diamonds are beautifully cut, but just miss being ACA's. Talk to the guys over at WF about what you're looking for and they should be able to suggest some options?

Wink Jones and Good Old Gold are other's who have access to ideal / very well cut which are either 100% H&A or very close to that.

I'm pretty good at keeping my diamonds clean as I have an ultrasonic cleaner, but friends notice my diamonds are very sparkly, even when dirty, whereas less well cut diamonds don't seem to shine as much even when spotlessly clean.
I have been looking at the ES diamonds lately and they don't seem to be as good as they used to be when I bought mine. Some of them score ok on the HCA but the majority seem to score over 2. I know that doesn't say they aren't worth considering but when I got mine there were loads that were almost ACA with scores under 2. Now there aren't that many.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results