shape
carat
color
clarity

Small cut/chip on diamond girdle - do not see it on the GIA report

DoodlesLife

Rough_Rock
if you were happy with your appraiser - is he she they on this list?
If any one has good or bad experiences with appraisers let Admin know or post here as they are vital folk and the range of skills can be excellent or bad, just like diamonds!

Yup, that's where I found her! She answered all of my questions with a lot of detail, and was very respectful to me and the diamond :bigsmile:

Barbara R. Nevius, GG, AM-ISA, NAJA, AGA ,Red Bank,NJ,us,; 732 859 9194

Special thank you to @yssie for pointing me in the right direction!

Last edited:

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. I wrote earlier about an band for a marquise. Yesterday, I noticed a small nick/ chip on the girdle. It wasn’t mentioned in the appraisal, and I don’t remember banging the ring at all. What should I do? It’s very small, but I can feel it with my finger, and it’s driving me crazy.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. I wrote earlier about an band for a marquise. Yesterday, I noticed a small nick/ chip on the girdle. It wasn’t mentioned in the appraisal, and I don’t remember banging the ring at all. What should I do? It’s very small, but I can feel it with my finger, and it’s driving me crazy.

I think you should start a new thread with all the details ...

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should start a new thread with all the details ...

My thoughts too.

I might add that many times damage is done to a setting or stone without the wearer even knowing. This happened to my wife shortly after I proposed. She was on a trip to Boston and bent a prong. She swears she didn’t do it and had no recollection of any impactful or meaningful events that would have caused it. The damage confirms something happened. My best guess is she accidentally snagged it but didn’t notice because she was “fighting” luggage (girls only trip, I wasn’t there to be the bellhop like usual, lol).

The point remains. It’s not so much how hard you hit something as much as the force and angle combined. I could see a marquis stone being more venerable and taking unknown damage.

But regardless how it got there, you seem surprised and bothered it exists. To me, the next logical step would be getting a professional opinion so you know exactly what you are dealing with and so you can formulate a plan. Have you looked at the PS list of local appraisers/inspectors?

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I didn’t bang my ring, and it looks protected with the six prongs. I don’t understand how this could have happened. Wasn’t on the appraisal.
i don’t remember seeing it either except this past Saturday.
Should I go to a jewelry store to get their opinion, or back to the appraise?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t bang my ring, and it looks protected with the six prongs. I don’t understand how this could have happened. Wasn’t on the appraisal.
i don’t remember seeing it either except this past Saturday.
Should I go to a jewelry store to get their opinion, or back to the appraise?

I would not muddy the waters with another jeweler. They will have bias and want to sell you something new. I would go to an appraiser/inspector.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Go with Sledges advice - and it is not hard to chip a girdle. And its life - so don't beat yourself up.
Diamonds have perfect cleavage in 4 directions and in those directions are easier to break than glass.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I will call the appraiser.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Just got back from the appraiser. Natural inversion!
Didn't put it on the report but said that’s why he graded the cut very good instead of excellent.
I never saw it until Saturday….

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got back from the appraiser. Natural inversion!
Didn't put it on the report but said that’s why he graded the cut very good instead of excellent.
I never saw it until Saturday….

I’m glad your stone wasn’t further damaged. That has to be a relief.

Also, the fact you now see it tells me maybe your vision has IMPROVED since the initial purchase. Did you recently have laser surgery, new glasses or contacts? Maybe cataract removal surgery (not sure your age so I don’t mean that offensively)?

Either way, might be a great excuse to upgrade if you want to. ;)2

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am curious, can these girdle chips or cracks be recut or polished out?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Natural is the correct term.
Every rough diamond is 100% naturals. The cutters goal is to polish the stone natural free. But to do so they invariably end up with wavy girdles and symmetry deviations.

GIA excellent symmetry allows for far wider than the Cut Nuts around here accept.

Polishing your natural out could lead to a 5% reduction in carat weight.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I would never trade it in. It is a family heirloom. My eyes haven’t gotten better, I’m very nearsighted and can see great closely. I never saw it before, that’s why I was concerned. Why the appraiser said he saw it but didn’t put it down is the mystery.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would never trade it in. It is a family heirloom. My eyes haven’t gotten better, I’m very nearsighted and can see great closely. I never saw it before, that’s why I was concerned. Why the appraiser said he saw it but didn’t put it down is the mystery.

On an average diamond an expert might see 20 things and note 2 or 3 that are most likely to be identifiers.
Naturals are very common, especially on older diamonds.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. Thank you for your advice on going back to the appraiser. The diamond is about 50 years old. Does that make it an older diamond?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. Thank you for your advice on going back to the appraiser. The diamond is about 50 years old. Does that make it an older diamond?

Everything is relative. Compared to the time it took Mother Nature to form it in the first place, it’s still in infancy at 50 years. ;)2

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

This is well before polished girdles and GIA grading. So it was the wild west.
All diamonds are slightly off round because of the variations in crystal hardness.
From octahedrons they are sqaurish.
From traingular rough (maccles) they usually measure perfectly round but that's because they are triangularish.
The naturals usually occur on the flat sides. It's not a bad thing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results