shape
carat
color
clarity

Slow cooker/rice cooker/crock pot

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys!

So I'd like to expand my cooking skills!

I'm currently doing my registry so I was thinking about getting a crock pot/slow cooker but I'm not familiar with what kinds of foods can be made in each.

Whats the difference between slow cooker/rice cooker/crock pot, what kind of foods can be made in each?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've got three crockpots (thanks to a registry mishap) but gosh darn it I'm keeping all three! ::)

The basic rice cookers are really only good for rice, or lentils/chickpeas/beans etc. if you haven't got a pressure cooker. I'd definitely get an electric if you plan to use it at all regularly - the plastic ones that go in the microwave A) hog your microwave for 20mins, B) using the microwave that much regularly is a costly proposition, and C) I worry about the plastic itself - I prefer metal & glass in general.

A slow cooker I definitely recommend - it cooks slower than the rice cooker, and you can put absolutely *anything* in there and leave it stewing through the day (and not go broke paying the electricity bill) - it's an awesome way to get rid of leftovers! I have the 6qt Rival Slow Cooker and the timers are so very useful, especially if you decide to brew overnight - no getting up at 3am to check on the jam :rolleyes:

If you're only going to get one, you can really do everything in a slow cooker that you'd use a rice cooker for, but not vice versa.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Yssie said:
We've got three crockpots (thanks to a registry mishap) but gosh darn it I'm keeping all three! ::)

The basic rice cookers are really only good for rice, or lentils/chickpeas/beans etc. if you haven't got a pressure cooker. I'd definitely get an electric if you plan to use it at all regularly - the plastic ones that go in the microwave A) hog your microwave for 20mins, B) using the microwave that much regularly is a costly proposition, and C) I worry about the plastic itself - I prefer metal & glass in general.

A slow cooker I definitely recommend - you can put absolutely *anything* in there and leave it stewing through the day (and not go broke paying the electricity bill) - it's an awesome way to get rid of leftovers! I have the 6qt Rival Slow Cooker brand and the timers are very useful if you're going to brew overnight - no getting up at 3am to check on the jam :rolleyes:

Ok cool! There is a slow cooker/rice cooker thats basically a two in one for 100$. Is a crock pot something completely different?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember said:
Yssie said:

A slow cooker I definitely recommend - you can put absolutely *anything* in there and leave it stewing through the day (and not go broke paying the electricity bill) - it's an awesome way to get rid of leftovers! I have the 6qt Rival Slow Cooker brand and the timers are very useful if you're going to brew overnight - no getting up at 3am to check on the jam :rolleyes:

Ok cool! There is a slow cooker/rice cooker thats basically a two in one for 100$. Is a crock pot something completely different?

Pretty sure crock pot = slow cooker? That's how I use the words anyway :cheeky:
ETA: In any case a regular rice cooker is basically a steamer, which a crock pot can also do (as can a saucepan on the stove, actually)..

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Yssie said:
Autumnovember said:
Yssie said:

Pretty sure crock pot = slow cooker? That's how I use the words anyway :cheeky:

It is, just googled it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....I clearly know nothing about them :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha we decided to make homemake our holiday gifts last year, was a crash course in so many things ;( :))

For example, if your SO decides to preheat the oven without first checking if you've stored the crockpot inside, the ceramic bowl will be fine after a good scrub but your apartment may smell of burning plastic for several days.. 8)

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
We just bought a new crock pot/slow cooker
to replace the one the cat knocked off the top of the refrigerator.
We decided to get a large oval instead of a smaller round so we could cook
roasts. The shape is definitely more versatile.

If you cook a lot of rice an electric rice cooker is very handy.
You just put in the water and rice and push a button.
This frees you to cook the rest of the meal
A bell sounds when the rice is done and it is perfect every time.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I love my rice cooker.

I've made everything from homemade duck and veggie soup to chicken and wild rice in mine. So easy! Just throw everything you need into the pot. Then walk away.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Crock pots/ slow cookers can come in different size pots. Make sure you choose one with a removable pot.

As for a rice cooker, I have a steamer that cooks rice and steams vegetables. If you like vegetables I recommend a steamer.
Actually I have a couple of steamers and I recommend the Hamilton Beach Digital Food Steamer. In addition to cooking rice and steaming vegetables, I also use it for cooking fish, lobster, and shrimp. I like this one because it has 2 tiers and I can steam some fish on top and vegetables on the bottom or I can remove the divider and put a ton more vegetables in there.

I also have 2 Black and Decker electric steamers that I have had for at least 15 years that still work well after all these years of constant use (at least 4-5 times per week). One has 2 sections (side by side) the other one is just one large unit (Black & Decker HS1000 Handy Steamer with Flavor Scenter Screen - mine is an older model and I this one I use to cook rice). They also have a seasoning/flavoring holder that flavors the veggies while they are steaming. I highly recommend the Hamilton Beach one and another smaller one to have on hand.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I love my rice cooker and use it once or twice a week - I have the smallest and cheapest one you can buy (about $20) and it makes plenty of rice for DH and I to share in a normal sized meal (aka enough for 4 servings of Mexican food, curry, whatever). It will also make those rice sides, where you add water and a packet of seasoning, or I can add some tomatoes and chicken broth. I love having it and it's super easy. I also like that it's tiny and fits right on the counter. We usually make 1 or 2 cups of uncooked rice at a time (not sure how much that comes out to once cooked), but it can probably do up to 3 cups. There are no settings on it - just warm and cook - and it automatically goes from cook to the warm setting when the rice is done. A crockpot has multiple heat settings and will not automatically turn off when rice is done cooking (well, maybe there are fancy models that do) but you can set a timer to turn it off.

Crockpots are fun if you will use them. Personally, I find that they are big and take up a lot of space on the counter. I can use my dutch oven to cook something for a long period of time just as easily, though of course I have to do it on the weekend when I'm home to watch it. I'm not sure that I would trust leaving an appliance on to cook my food all day anyway, which is why I've never purchased or used a large crockpot. I do have a small crockpot that a friend gave us when he moved across country - it's only big enough for an appetizer or dip or something - I have yet to use it and it sits in our basement, because counter space is at a premium. Before getting one, really think about the kind of stuff you'd make in it and how often you'd use it. Some people use them constantly and some use them rarely.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I have an all in one type from COOKS ESSENTIALS. Bought it about 2 yrs ago on QVC and I use it like 2-3 times a week. It's great that I can cook a meal that would normally take hours in less than one hr esp. during the week after picking up at school. Here is the link to one similar (this is a new version) to the one that I have http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.K29862.desc.Cooks-Essentials-5qt-Oval-Stainless-Steel-Pressure-Cooker

I like this because it's not only a pressure cooker but it brown, slow cooks, steams, ect. I've tossed it frozen pork chops and in 3o min they were amazing.

GL!

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I have both. I always use my rice cooker to make rice, and it turns out really well. Slow cooker = crock pot, AFAIK. We use ours literally almost every night when it's cold outside. They're especially good for making soups, stews, and roasts. I'm wanting to get a bigger one with a timer this year!

One nice thing about them is that meat comes out really tender, since it's cooked over such a long period. Because of that, meats that do well in the slow cooker are usually the cheaper cuts. However, keep in mind that meals generally take anywhere between 4-10 hours to cook (depending on the recipe and whether you have it on low or high). So you generally have to put the food together in the morning. This is good and bad. Bad for me because I hate getting up early. Some recipes are super easy and you just throw a few things in there and turn it on. Other recipes are more involved and require a lot of chopping, etc.

The definite plus side is that you have a meal ready and waiting for you when you come home (which is super fantastic in the winter months, I think!). I would definitely get one with a timer! That way you don't have to coordinate being home at a certain time to turn it off. You can automatically set it to turn over to warm at a particular time and not worry about it.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I have not explored pressure cookers or rice cookers yet. Do I really need a rice cooker if I have a crock pot though?

Autumn - I have a large crockpot as well as a mini. I use the mini to make little barbecue sausage franks or dips for game day. I use the big crockpot for larger batches of dip, chili, rice, lentil soup, rice and beans etc etc. I haven't explored chicken or duck in my crockpot yet. I'm chicken lol. I'll make two separate posts with my recipe for sausage cream cheese dip and for lentil soup. The sausage cream cheese dip is also good as a dinner accompaniment over toast.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Sausage Cream Cheese Dip
1 lb hamburger or sausage browned (crumble the way you would for tacos)
2 blocks reduced fat cream cheeese
1 can Rotel

Add all ingredients to a crockpot and cook on high until the cheese has melted. Mix thoroughly. Set on keep warm and enjoy.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Lentil Black Eyed Pea Soup

2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
4 cups water
8oz dried lentils
8oz dried black eyed peas
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup yellow onion chopped
1 cup red onion chopped
pepper to taste

Add all ingredients to the crock pot. Depending on your crock pot cooking temperatures in comparison to time needed you can cook on high for 3 hours, or cook on low for about 5 hours. Again it will depend on the crock pot too. My personal crockpot can cook this on high for four hours and it's perfect. My grandmother's cooks it on low for 5 hours and it's perfect.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I have a rice cooker and a slow cooker/crock pot. I LOVE THEM. The rice cooker basically takes all the guess work out of making rice. You just can't screw it up.

I love the slow cooker as well, though you do need to pay it a little more mind than the rice cooker. I have the oval one that is 5 qts maybe? Mine is programmable- basically it will run at either high or low for a set amount of time in 1/2 hour increments. I like to throw things like pork roasts in there in the morning with some liquid (stock, water, juice, whatever), spices/herbs and let it go. I've had to learn how mine cooks and make sure I don't overcook the meat. I love coming home and opening the door to the smell of a cooked meal when all I've done is throw the ingredients in the pot! It's nearly foolproof!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Wow guys, thank you so much!!!!!! I'm going to read through all of these as soon as I'm done studying :)

Thank you again!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
atroop711 said:
I have an all in one type from COOKS ESSENTIALS. Bought it about 2 yrs ago on QVC and I use it like 2-3 times a week. It's great that I can cook a meal that would normally take hours in less than one hr esp. during the week after picking up at school. Here is the link to one similar (this is a new version) to the one that I have http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.K29862.desc.Cooks-Essentials-5qt-Oval-Stainless-Steel-Pressure-Cooker

I like this because it's not only a pressure cooker but it brown, slow cooks, steams, ect. I've tossed it frozen pork chops and in 3o min they were amazing.

GL!

This sounds like a good xmas present (for me). I love my crock pot and try to use it once a week. My favorites are
McCormick's Slow Cooker enevlopes (you can do it all by hand but when you are in a hurry these are great).
http://www.amazon.com/McCormick-Italian-Chicken-1-5-Ounce-Units/dp/B0012OV5VG (we skip the mushroom)

http://www.amazon.com/McCormick-Pulled-Pork-1-6-Ounce-Units/dp/B0012ONFRS/ref=pd_sim_gro_3 (a 3+pound roast
makes enough for me to freeze for another meal.

Find a good recipe book for your slow cooker. I have this one. Its pretty good but has a lot of duplicate recipes with
just a few changes in ingredients. (I have an older version than this one)
http://www.amazon.com/Fix--Forget--Cookbook-Cooker-Recipes/dp/156148685X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286811245&sr=1-2

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I cannot sing my praises of the Fagor multi-cooker loudly enough. It is fabulous.
http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-670040230-Stainless-Steel-6-Quart-Multi-Cooker/dp/B001A62O1G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1286812339&sr=8-2

It is a slow cooker, rice cooker, and pressure cooker, and it does all three extremely well (which is where most multi-appliances fail). It comes with a great cookbook. It eliminates two appliances from the kitchen (if you are a kitchen minimalist like me who hates gratuitous appliances, this is very important). And, it allows you the opportunity to cook quick, easy meals because of the pressure cooking option. Slow cookers are great, but they aren't going to do anything for you unless you have 4+ hours until you need dinner. DH and I use the pressure cooking option far more often.

Oh, also register for cookbooks. You can get pressure or slow cooking specific cookbooks.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I have a slowcooker/crock pot and a rice cooker.

We use the rice cooker 2-3 times per week, to make rice and quinoa. I love it, I used to always mess up rice when I made it on the stovetop but it is always perfect now. Our cooker has a steamer basket you can put on top and occasionally I do veggies in there while the starch is cooking below.

The crock pot we break out about every other week. It requires a little advance planning to figure out what we are going to cook in there, but when we do it it's so great to come home to dinner already cooked!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I have two slow cookers (well, one and a half- lost the lid to one) and one ancient rice cooker. I got the rice cooker from my mom when my sister and I moved out for college, and it is c.1982 or something. Still works fine. I use it frequently, probably 1-2 times a week or so. I don't use it for anything but rice (both brown and white, usually one after the other because DH won't eat white rice and I don't love brown with everything). It makes rice perfectly. Also they're indestructable, obviously!

The slow cooker is great too, and though I don't use it constantly it is quite handy nevertheless. I'd say it gets used once a month or so- less in the summer, more in the winter. I love making corned beef & cabbage in it. Pretty much anything that can be a stew or soup can be chucked into it, and left to simmer overnight. You just use slightly less broth/water than you would normally.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just got a crock pot as a wedding gift. (a friend is a little excited for our wedding and LOVES crockpots).

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but it looks wonderful. I think it is a Hamilton Beach?

Anyway, it is a variable size crockpot -- it comes with 3 removable pots so you can select 2qt/4qt/6qt.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN, I like the crockpots that are sold with an additional "little dipper" or small size crockpot that you can use to make warm dips or just double servings of things when you don't need the big one. Crockpots are a wintertime god-send!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
monarch64 said:
AN, I like the crockpots that are sold with an additional "little dipper" or small size crockpot that you can use to make warm dips or just double servings of things when you don't need the big one. Crockpots are a wintertime god-send!

OoOooO! I'll check it out at bed bath and beyond :) Thanks for the tip! I love dips!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seriously, if you have a Goodwill or a Salvation Army near you go check it out--they always have TONS of crock pots/slow cookers. It would be a good way to see if you'll actually use a new one.

I love my crock pot and I use it all the time in the winter. It's also really useful for keeping hot beverages at big parties. I cook rice at least once a week, but I've never really seen the need for a rice cooker--the rice I make in a regular old pot tastes delicious every single time.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Haven said:
Seriously, if you have a Goodwill or a Salvation Army near you go check it out--they always have TONS of crock pots/slow cookers. It would be a good way to see if you'll actually use a new one.

I love my crock pot and I use it all the time in the winter. It's also really useful for keeping hot beverages at big parties. I cook rice at least once a week, but I've never really seen the need for a rice cooker--the rice I make in a regular old pot tastes delicious every single time.

I was thinking about getting the rice cooker so I can start making some serious sushi :naughty:

P.s. apple fest pics please!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I love my Rival Crockpot!

My favorite recipe to make in it is roast beef.

1 rump roast (about 2-3 pounds), thawed
1 small bag baby carrots
1 medium onion, chopped
10 (or so) golden or redskinned potatoes
1 green pepper, chopped
1 container beef broth

Wash roast and season to taste. Put roast in bottom of crock pot and add washed and chopped veggies. Add broth until it just covers the ingredients. Season to taste (I use salt and pepper) and roast on low for 6-8 hours. I serve this with egg noodles and use the left overs as beef stew. YUM!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results