shape
carat
color
clarity

Skinny B*tch

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
anyone read the book? thoughts?

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
I almost bought it yesterday! I''m anxious to hear if anyone else has.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
i bought it on an impulse while i was at borders and so far it''s just made me afraid to eat anything. i''m sure there''s a point to it somewhere, just haven''t gotten there yet
2.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Just what does a "skinny bitch" eat?

Organic fruits and veggies
Proteins: Soy products, beans, nuts
Starches: Whole grain cereals, whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta, vegetable pasta, tortillas, brown rice, barley, quinoa, potatoes, sweet potatoes
Treats: Organic corn chips; tofu ice cream; desserts sweetened with cane juice, maple syrup, raw sugar or other natural, unrefined products
Drinks: Water (with an optional slice of fruit), decaf green tea, organic red wine

Basically, the book gained notariety once Victoria Beckham was seen with it. The women who wrote it are skinny and vegans.
They just came out with Skinny Bitch in the Kitch - cookbook, too.

No meat, no dairy and no sugar (the devil)

ETA: and apparantly has a lot of animal activism thoughts and stories about how mass produced animals are treated

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, the diet you mention is basically what I eat and I aint no "Skinny Bitch" so...
20.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tofu ice cream. Now if that doesn''t sound enticing, I don''t know what does.
lol.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's all about portion control. Nuts (soy or regular) are great for you but an ounce (like 12 almonds) has a ton of fat and calories. Yes it's the good fat and cals but who really eats an ounce of nuts or 12 almonds ? More like 1/3 of the bag when you want to snack. Same with things like bread or pasta. So that's why probably a lot of people can eat what is on that list, and still gain weight, or not be a 'skinny bitch'.

Sounds to me like overall it's just a lower glycemic whole foods, less processed, eat complex carbs vegan kind of diet. Which to me is overall a lifestyle change. We *should* really all be doing more of that (though not the meat and no dairy thing, I think I'd DIE) but what's realistic? hehee.

Tofutti cuties are tofu ice cream and some people SERIOUSLY love them. They have a cult following. I only like certain flavors.

Victoria Beckham said on the 20/20 BabaWawa special in Dec that she does not eat any sweets or treats. She has never been a junk eater, she only eats healthy. On one hand I'm jealous because I have a mega sweet tooth but on the other hand I thought wow how depressing.
3.gif
hehee.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Me too which is why I still have hips
31.gif

grasshopperpie.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Sounds kind of like what I eat too. Except that the very suggestion that ice cream should be made out of anything but cream offends me.
11.gif
I like my dairy. And my eggs. And occasionally I eat chicken and fish.

Being a vegan and staying healthy is extremely difficult. It takes a lot of concentration. Too much trouble for me. Besides, I love ice cream.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I haven’t read the book, however I have been vegan for about 6 months now. I chose to become vegan more for animal issues than heath issues. I have too say that since cutting out all meat and dairy I haven’t felt better than now, I cut my coffee intake from 3 pots a day to 2 cups in the morning. My skin is glowing and my nails are growing like mad. Also my type 2 diabetes is doing better most of the time my glucose level is in the 100''s instead of the 300 range. Also my hubby has dropped 20 pounds by cutting out milk products, grrrrrrrrrrrrr he still eats white meat though.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I peeked at this at Amazon and thought it sounded a little crazy. Everyone''s body is different and what different people need to eat to be their healthiest is different! If I ate what they recommend I would whittle away to nothing! Seriously, I need to eat lots of protein to be my healthiest. I''m a meat and potatoes girl, though. I could never be on a strict diet. I''d go crazy. And this book sounds more than a little rigid. Give me cake or I get grumpy! mmmmmmMMMMMMMMM...white flour, white sugar, butter and chocolate!!! I think the authors forgot about the antioxidants in chocolate.

Soy ice cream isn''t too bad. I have to agree with Mara, Tofuti Cuties are very good. I only like the vanilla flavor.

I''m not making light of anyone''s choices. This is just very foreign to me and I''m very health conscious...except for the mild cake addiction. Anyone really grow their own veggies?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 3:58:41 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Except that the very suggestion that ice cream should be made out of anything but cream offends me.
11.gif
Ditto.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 12:56:09 PM
Author: Ellen
Tofu ice cream. Now if that doesn''t sound enticing, I don''t know what does.
lol.gif

My best friend is a sometimes vegan (she does these religious fasts where she must avoid all meat, dairy, etc for long periods of time). She used to be my roommate, and she''d bring home not tofu ice cream, but soy ice cream. It was pretty tasty actually (although I MUCH prefer the real thing). Now the vegan cookies were pretty gross. She had a hard time finding enough varieties of things to eat for nutrients.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 12:31:02 PM
Author: Starset Princess

No meat, no dairy and no sugar (the devil)

ETA: and apparantly has a lot of animal activism thoughts and stories about how mass produced animals are treated
This book is a thinly veiled (with "humor"), nearly-psychotic anti-meat rant. I have not read it. I didn''t have to, my easily-swayed younger sister did and subsequently lectured me (without provocation) on the many evils of the meat industry (again?!?). I thought it was savvy of these ladies to pull women in with a witty title, though. That sucker was quite the best-seller, wasn''t it. Of course, why WOULDN''T we all want to read what Victoria Beckham reads?
20.gif

I am on the meat, dairy, and sugar diet, and skinny as all get-out. I like to call it the "metabolism diet". Heaven help me if my metabolism takes a hit, though!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

there are some really tasty soy ice creams out there, actually a brand at WF is REALLY yummy...trying to remember the name, i have it in the freezer at home. and it''s much healthier but i just like the taste.

i don''t discriminate....cold creamy frozen goodness made with cream, soy or tofu or whatever....as long as it''s GOOD...it''s goin'' in!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Haven''t read the book, probably won''t... but I just had to chime in that Cooking Light had a tofu mousse recipe some years back that was TO DIE FOR!!!
12.gif

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Skinny B*tch is... well, I am not a fan. I read the book and was appalled -- a book that makes big statements about nutrition, supporting its ideas with the most ridiculous "facts" I''ve ever seen. Instead, it feels like the authors are just shooting from the hip, insulting just about everything. The "diet" is extreme, and is actually a completely vegan diet book. A terrible book with a catchy title meant to draw people in.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t read the entire book, but I find the title to be annoying. Then again, the literary critic in me says if you can''t find a better word to use than a swear, you probably shouldn''t be writing in the first place.

ANYWAY, I read a bit of the book the last time I was in Border''s and found it to be a poorly-researched diatribe about the evils of eating meat. I''m all for finding a diet that''s right for you, but like others have already said, every body needs a different diet. I was raised vegetarian and didn''t eat any meat until I was 19. When I started eating meat it was like my entire body changed--I had more energy, I slept better, my skin looked incredible, my nails started growing and the brittleness disappeared. For some reason, animal protein works for me.

carabella

Shiny_Rock
I bought the book a few months ago and have skimmed it....can''t really make myself sit down and read it. Parts of it are insulting and there''s a ton of curse words thrown in...so many that after a couple of pages I find it distracting. Sure, there''s good stuff in there, if you can do all of it. I think I''ll just stick to Weight Watchers....some say it''s not all that nutritional but it has taught me a lot about portion size and it''s the only one that''s worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results