shape
carat
color
clarity

Skin tone and metal color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
How would you describe your skin tone and what color metal do you think looks best on you?

I'm very pale and have yellowish undertones (I think), blue eyes, once-blond-now-not-so-blond hair, freckles, all that good stuff. Growing up I hated jewelry because I hated yellow gold, which is interesting because yellow has always been my favorite color. All the yg I've ever seen has a dull brassy look to it, like a doorknob, which I would not consider to be a nice shade of yellow. I even have a yellow stone e-ring... but I wouldn't even consider a non-white setting. I noticed right away that platinum looks funny against my skin. But when it comes to what would look good, I just can't tell. I really love white jewelry and I can't see switching over to gold.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Im the same as you only I have pink undertones. Yellow gold have never looked the best on me but I do wear it from time to time because of heirloom pieces. I wear mostly WG or sterling Silver.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m very very fair - the lighest clinique makeup is too dark in the winter! - and a little pink and a little yellow... and a little blue lol - no green LOL. Anyway, I''ve always liked yellow gold on me - mostly because I started wearing it way back when I still layed in the sun. I stopped getting tans back in the early 90''s and I just stayed with yellow gold. My husband insists I look better in white metal though but I don''t know if I agree... I''m getting my next ring in white metal regardless.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
just to add - I think that slight warmth in white gold looks better on me than plat does - plat and silver just look wrong on my skin. I''m on a mission for the perfect gold - I want white gold that is just everso slightly creamy. I don''t look good in greys. My eyes are very light blue - well they''re a light blue with a TON of white in them so from a couple feet they just look super light blue and my hair never strayed from blonde but for the past 12 years has been going white so it''s really light also. I''m mostly danish lol

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
I have yeelow undertone and my hand is darker then my face (more yellower).. so for my hand, I perfer wearing wg.. but I do notice rose gold looks good on me too....

And for my neck, 18 yg necklace or even 24k gold looks the best...

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Moderately-fair with yellow undertones with dark brown hair and eyes - I''m half Chinese. I''ve been told that both yellow and white look good on me and will wear both, but I prefer white metals.

Cehra - I''m half Danish!!

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I attached a pic of a yg and wg chain. Maybe I was wrong about that yellow undertones... my skin looks pretty pink there.

I know this is an imposition on the board, but does anyone have advice about what looks better? I appreciate it. My color sense isn''t great.

chain 002.JPG

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I am moderately fair with a tendency to freckle and pink undertones. I think the white metals look much better with my skin tone. I think yellow gold is better suited to darker complexions. Colorkitty white metals would work best for you in my humble opinion.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have dark hair and eyes with medium-fair skin with olive undertones. I honestly feel like all colors of gold look good on my skin. I just perfer the look of WG/PLT.

Hopes

Rough_Rock
I am Asian, with a slight tannish look most of the time, and I prefer white gold for my rings. Yellow gold would accentuate the yellow undertones in my skin way too much. >_<

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have medium skin with yellow/olive undertones, dark hair and eyes, and also feel like all metal colors look good on my skin. I don''t wear my yg pieces often, but I do like to wear them when I''m tan in the summer time.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i am of irish descent with fair, freckled, rosey, pink skin. Yellow gold looks good on me.

I tried white gold this year. I discovered i don''t like the RHODIUM. rhodium next to my skin looks like I''m wearing surgical instruments or a chrome wheel rims.

but, i do like white gold when all the rhodium is worn off.

i like sterling silver only when it is freshly polished. i recently pulled out my sterling silver jewelry and started wearing it again.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/19/2006 3:47:35 PM
Author: colorkitty
Maybe I was wrong about that yellow undertones... my skin looks pretty pink there.

Believe it or not, I suspected that you were wrong before I saw the picture! The verbal picture you painted, especially with the freckles, was one that usually goes with a pink complected woman! Your undertones certainly look pink!

Deb
34.gif

Giada

Shiny_Rock
This is an interesting thread....

My grandfather was from Greece, so I have an olive tone to my skin and I tan easily (although I''m pretty pale now). I have extremely dark brown hair (almost black), and very light blue eyes. I find that white metals such as platinum and silver look much better on me because all yellow gold just "blends" too much with my skin. The platinum in my e-ring and band really pops when I''m darker in the summer, though.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
AGBF, I love that thread. I read it in archives and I'll probably go back and read it again.

Now I'm doubting my decision to get a rose gold wedding band. The picture makes me look a lot more pink than I am (for instance, the shirt I'm wearing is dark pink, not red), but rose gold might be too much.

Ahhh, choices! I have to decide by tonight because that's when my coupon expires, but now I'm not sure any color will work.

Edited: looking at the picture, it does seem that the yellow looks better with my skin, but others say white, so I'll probably go with white because I just have no color sense whatsoever.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
colorkitty,

I am a pink-toned person on whom very brassy, 24K yellow gold looks wonderful. Many Asian women have posted here that, although it is highly valued in the cultures in which they were raised, that they do not like the way that that yellow of the 22 and/or the 24K gold looks with yellow tones in their skin. Each of us is unique, however. I found a Niessing yellow gold ring that looked awful on my hand. I was glad I had decided to make a trip into a city to see that Niessing wrinkle ring in person! I never would have known there was a shade of yellow gold that looked so bad on me! Keep looking and have others you trust look, too!

Deb
34.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
get the rose gold! get what you want.

BTW the yellow does look better on you. Yellow gold is out of style, but is coming back....

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/19/2006 6:34:39 PM
Author: ladykemma
BTW the yellow does look better on you. Yellow gold is out of style, but is coming back....

Yellow gold is quite hot now. My problem is that I cannot see the picture well enough to see how it looks on colorkitty!!!! I'd love to give an opinion of it. I love color and questions about color. I just can't see it well enough on my monitor!!!

Deb
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/19/2006 6:18:12 PM
Author: Giada
This is an interesting thread....

My grandfather was from Greece, so I have an olive tone to my skin and I tan easily (although I''m pretty pale now). I have extremely dark brown hair (almost black), and very light blue eyes. I find that white metals such as platinum and silver look much better on me because all yellow gold just ''blends'' too much with my skin. The platinum in my e-ring and band really pops when I''m darker in the summer, though.

Giada,

I meant to answer this earlier, but things heated up with colorkitty! I can envision how you would look in platinum. You paint a great verbal picture! Your platinum and your pale blue eyes would stand out against a tan, providing incredible contrast. I can see you in platinum just as I can see colorkitty in yellow gold! (I can also picture you on a Greek beach. Hmmm....)

Deb
34.gif

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
Deb, you seem to be the yg go-to-gal. Is there a difference in color between the karats in yg? All the pieces I have from childhood are 14K and they have all dulled. I'm not sure how to get them looking good again. My local jewelry store carries, literally, no yellow gold. I've been looking online.

I'll probably get the rose gold band... and a yellow band... and a tri-gold band... I'm seriously addicted to wedding bands. I like to change up my routine. I don't have any qualms about mixing white and pink metals. I think they get along well. Yellow and white is different, though, because they represent two different styles. Most gemstones, imo, just look better in white, and I think mixing will become more common and accepted.

Edited: can someone please envision me on the Greek beach? if we're going on virtual vacations, what's fair is fair. :)

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 6:50:40 PM
Deb, you seem to be the yg go-to-gal. Is there a difference in color between the karats in yg? All the pieces I have from childhood are 14K and they have all dulled. I''m not sure how to get them looking good again. My local jewelry store carries, literally, no yellow gold. I''ve been looking online.

I''ll probably get the rose gold band... and a yellow band... and a tri-gold band... I''m seriously addicted to wedding bands. I like to change up my routine. I don''t have any qualms about mixing white and pink metals. I think they get along well. Yellow and white is different, though, because they represent two different styles. Most gemstones, imo, just look better in white, and I think mixing will become more common and accepted.

Edited: can someone please envision me on the Greek beach? if we''re going on virtual vacations, what''s fair is fair. :)
when yellow gold dulls, it needs polishing. a sunshine cloth will do it. do a search for sunshine cloths and buy one. slicks that yellow gold right up.

if still tarnished here''s a chemist trick - lemon juice and salt. dip rose or yellow gold piece in lemon juice, then sprinkle with salt. you''ll see. practice with a tarnished penny first. you''ll still have to polish though. don''t do this is there if there is factory applied patina or patina you want to keep.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, you seem to be the yg go-to-gal. Is there a difference in color between the karats in yg?

Yes, pure gold (24K) is very brassy and bright yellow. The more alloys one mixes with it for strength, the paler it gets. So 22K is stronger and paler and less brassy than 24K. 18K is stronger and paler and less brassy that 22K. 14K is paler and stronger and less brassy than 18K. And so forth. Not much 9K or 10K gold is used in jewelry in the United States, but it is used elsewhere in the world.

That was referring to gold that is supposed to look like gold. If one is mixing alloys in order to create another color of gold, things are different. If one mixes alloys to create rose or purple or green, one naturally does not simply get less yellow in the gold but more of whatever mineral/substance which is providing the color one is aiming for. I know copper is used is rose gold. I know very little about the other colors of gold, although I am interested in them. I have been hoping to interest Etienne Perret in one of the threads in which we discuss colored gold :).

34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most gemstones, imo, just look better in white

I have many wedding bands, and at least one of them is even white! Nonetheless, most of my colored stones are set in yellow gold. Some of my diamonds are set in platinum heads with yellow gold shanks or chains. I have just been bitten by the gold bug, and the the higher the karat, the better! I love yellow gold! I can sit down at the table with people who prefer platinum, however. As my husband always says, that's why they make vanilla and chocolate ;-).

I just wanted to make sure you saw the yellow gold jewelry in this thread. I wish there were more photos that one could leaf through quickly, but I have never compiled a gallery of yellow gold jewelry photos!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-have-a-favorite-gold-designer.29197/

Deb
34.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
well, what bothers me about white gold, is that, well, it isn''t. gold, that is.
gold should be gold. not nickel.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m not so sure that i''d say 22k gold looks brassy as much as i''d say it looks gold!

real gold has a color/patina that even 18k doesn''t hope to aspire to. i obviously am prejudiced. however, i was in an upscale shop recently and the word used there to describe the look of high karat gold was ''gold'', not ''brass''.

be careful with red/pink/rose gold: not all are mixed with the same percentage of copper which is what gives it the warm pink/red/rose color.

i love the look of wearing the different color golds together!

oh, and i think the ''texture'' on the jewelry piece makes a difference: my 22k gold ring is hammered but my 18k red gold necklace has ''stroke'' marks on the links. the way light hits each piece makes a difference in perception.

and if you love the look of mixed metals, how about mokume gane? you could have all three golds [yellow/red/green] combined in the same band.

movie zombie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/19/2006 7:27:20 PM
Author: movie zombie
i'm not so sure that i'd say 22k gold looks brassy as much as i'd say it looks gold!

real gold has a color/patina that even 18k doesn't hope to aspire to. i obviously am prejudiced. however, i was in an upscale shop recently and the word used there to describe the look of high karat gold was 'gold', not 'brass'.

Hi, MZ-

It's so lovely to be posting in the same thread with you again. Of course you are completely correct in both comments: gold looks more like gold than brass and real gold looks more like real gold than 18K does.

Deb
34.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
2c from a guy with no fashion sense :}

Gold gold looks better on almost anyone for a necklace the exception being light skinned blonds on who it stands out on too much.

Rings it doesn''t really matter much because there is a lot of open air around them.
Watches and bracelets its a little more important but necklaces its very important.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 7:43:01 PM
Author: AGBF

Date: 12/19/2006 7:27:20 PM
Author: movie zombie
i''m not so sure that i''d say 22k gold looks brassy as much as i''d say it looks gold!

real gold has a color/patina that even 18k doesn''t hope to aspire to. i obviously am prejudiced. however, i was in an upscale shop recently and the word used there to describe the look of high karat gold was ''gold'', not ''brass''.

Hi, MZ-

It''s so lovely to be posting in the same thread with you again. Of course you are completely correct in both comments: gold looks more like gold than brass and real gold looks more like real gold than 18K does.

Deb
34.gif
Thats mainly because the US standard mix for 18k is greenish yellow not Gold colored.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results