shape
carat
color
clarity

Sketch vs final product

red9

Rough_Rock
Trade
My fiancé and I recently received a sketch from a highly regarded/popular pricescope vendor. The sketch did not seem to represent or match the quality of the finished pieces that I've seen on the vendor's website or on this forum. First, it did not accurately reflect the conversation we had about the design of the ring (for example, it only included one sketch rather than including two different options - one with a halo and one without a halo, as we discussed). Secondly, it lacked many design details (notes about shank width, melee etc., showing different angles etc.). Finally it didn't paint a clear picture of what the ring would actually look like because the sketch was pretty cryptic.

Should we be concerned? Should we expect that a jeweler be able to produce a detailed and accurate sketch? Knowing that many jewelers have particular styles and ways of operating, do you think it is worth going back to the drawing board and requesting new sketches? Any words of wisdom or similar experiences (with positive or negative outcomes) would be helpful.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You mean the CAD? CADs never look like the finished product. My vendor was extremely apprehensive about even DOING a CAD because most people don't understand that they look nothing like the finished product, and thus can cause a few disgruntled clients.

But communicate with your vendor. I'm sure they can clear things up for you.

red9

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi. Thanks for your reply. It wasn't a CAD. It was a hand sketch of a potential design to be hand forged. I agree that communication is key, but I also don't want to discourage or offend the jeweler to the point where he might not want to work on a piece for us. So I'm hoping to get a sense from those who have worked extensively with a jeweler or several jewelers, of what to expect and whether this might be a red flag.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who is the vendor? Being cryptic serves no purpose. If people have successfully worked with that particular vendor they may have helpful insight into how to approach him/her/the project.

I've had three pieces handforged.

The first was with a popular PS vendor (VCanera) and it was not a success. Communication was poor on both sides, our working styles were very different, and unsurprisingly, I was unhappy with the result.

I then had the piece remade (the difficult part handforged) successfully with another PS vendor (DBL). It was a very easy and stress-free process and I credit success to open communication and a much better client/vendor working relationship.

The third piece (RDG) was also easy and stress-free. The vendor let me follow along every step of the way, from choosing gold colours to editing watercolours to deciding on final finishes of different elements... a dream to work with.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have a few hand forged pieces too from PS vendors.

it really depends as a sketch isn't typically detailed. It is just supposed to be an overal idea of what to look for. I have had a few vendors do sketches for me and no one has included measurements or the level of detail you have requested. Except if you asked for a halo and it was missing that would tick me off. But he/she might have assumed you could just visualize with it on. However I would never expect hand sketches from different angles etc etc.

When I have done hand forged pieces. The process went as follows:
- I contact vendor about a design they typically already have that I want to tweak.
-We talk about the alternations I want made.
-They do a very simple sketch with outcome which just gives me idea
-In the Work Order we write out all the details (type of melee, shank wideth size, ring size and any other notes that we discussed that are important to me). I don't expect the designer to list all the measurements because hand foged jewelry is not about the numbers.
-If this is a new design they have never done before you can ask for progress pictures or just progress emails. Some don't mind doing it while others' don't care too.
-Find out what happens if you don't like the end result. For custom work- this usually means there is nothing you can do. You're stuck with it. But if it is a new design they have never done before sometimes there are options.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
red9|1374634462|3488940 said:
My fiancé and I recently received a sketch from a highly regarded/popular pricescope vendor. The sketch did not seem to represent or match the quality of the finished pieces that I've seen on the vendor's website or on this forum. First, it did not accurately reflect the conversation we had about the design of the ring (for example, it only included one sketch rather than including two different options - one with a halo and one without a halo, as we discussed). Secondly, it lacked many design details (notes about shank width, melee etc., showing different angles etc.). Finally it didn't paint a clear picture of what the ring would actually look like because the sketch was pretty cryptic.

Should we be concerned? Should we expect that a jeweler be able to produce a detailed and accurate sketch? Knowing that many jewelers have particular styles and ways of operating, do you think it is worth going back to the drawing board and requesting new sketches? Any words of wisdom or similar experiences (with positive or negative outcomes) would be helpful.

I've worked with both PS and non-PS vendors on jewelry projects. Some sketches were crude approximations, and some were quite detailed, with colors added using water-color paint or colored pencil. How nice the sketch was had little to do with the quality of the finished work. None of them included the kind of detail that you are expecting (shank width, melee, etc); that was always given within the written work order.

Your best indication of the kind of work the vendor will do is finished examples, not the sketch. However, if you are not happy with the level of service and the kind of sketches you are getting from this vendor, it is always your choice to move on. With very few exceptions, most vendors are not going to want to spend a lot of time producing series of sketches for clients unless the vendor is pretty sure you are not wasting their time.

If I had asked for a halo, though, I would definitely expect to see a sketch showing a halo.

red9

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for all the input.

Yssie - You're right, no point in being cryptic. The vendor is SK.

SB621 - Thanks for the details on the process. I went in to meet with SK to discuss these two settings:
http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/solitaire/r0219.html
http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/solitaire/r0216.html

He was very helpful and patiently explained a lot of aspects of the ring design as well as possible modifications. I talked about possibly wanting a halo, but liking the openness between the split shank and so we talked about not having the band go all the way around the finger (like Charmypoo's ring). And since it would be a halo, we talked about the possibility of removing the horizontal support of the basket (?) that you can see in http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/solitaire/r0219.html....

The sketch that was provided is below. I'm glad to hear experiences from others, especially reassurance that a sketch is not a predictor of the final result. I've always admired SKs work and I think it will be reassuring to my fiancé to know that rough sketches are typical. Maybe I should send back my own sketch? I would appreciate any feedback on how best to communicate my vision with whichever vendor we end up going with. Or whether my design idea even would work/make sense!

photo__9__4.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Oh Ok well I love SK's work but I'm also slightly biased as he did my 3 stone setting. I found that with Steven I gave him certain things I wanted and told him exactly what I didn't want for other things- then gave him creative freedom to fill in the blanks.

Dont' take this the wrong way but I think the worst thing you can do is micromanage a designer who has done that setting or something very similar to it 1,000's of times. It looks like you are doing a split shank pave ring with the possablility of a halo with several tweaks to the basket. I'm kinda of surprized he even did a sketch for that. If you are comfortable with Steven then I would just shoot him an email and include on the work order exactly what you want. If you want then draw up a sketch and send to him to just make sure you are on the same page. You can also ask for him to send you a picture of the frame before he puts the diamonds in to make sure it is what you want.

Goodluck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results