shape
carat
color
clarity

Sizing Beads?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2danes

Shiny_Rock
Can anyone out there tell me more about sizing beads? I am coming out of lurkdom to finally ask.

I recently injured my ring finger and had to have my rings cut off. My broken knuckle is currently a 7 1/2, while the lower part of that finger is a 5 1/2. Is that too large a size difference for sizing beads? I am so broken hearted about my rings.

Happily, my DH and I are shopping for a new setting, so that's exciting. I just have to wait for my stupid finger to heal. It's so hard to wait, and I hate not wearing anything on my ring finger (we've not been married two years yet.)

Anyhow, any help or advice would be great. I look forward to sharing my setting experiences with the wonderful and helpful crew on PS.

Annie

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Annie
35.gif

I am so sorry to hear about your poor finger - ouch!! I hope you feel better soon!

To answer your question, if you use the search tool at the top right, you can do a search for sizing beads as there are a few threads on the subject.

Here is one to start you off!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sizing-beads-info-for-those-that-asked.28098/

2danes

Shiny_Rock
Very helpful indeed Lorelei! Thanks so much!
This site is amazingly helpful!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2008 1:51:09 PM
Author: 2danes
Very helpful indeed Lorelei! Thanks so much!
This site is amazingly helpful!
You are most welcome!

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The thread on sizing beads is certainly helpful, but I wanted to say that you might discuss the implimentation of a hinged shank assembly with your local jeweler given the condition of your finger because sizing beads apply some pressure to the knuckle when the ring is moved on and off the finger.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2008 1:56:42 PM
Author: niceice
The thread on sizing beads is certainly helpful, but I wanted to say that you might discuss the implimentation of a hinged shank assembly with your local jeweler given the condition of your finger because sizing beads apply some pressure to the knuckle when the ring is moved on and off the finger.
That is an excellent suggestion Todd!

2danes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Todd!

A jeweler did mention that option to me...
I was kind of dreaming of a delicate micro pave setting... would that even work?
I guess I''m still at the dreaming stages--- until I know what''s actually wrong
with my finger I won''t be able to do anything.

DiamondGirlHH

Shiny_Rock
I recommend the hinged shanks as well compare to the sizing balls. You should discuss it with your jeweler about the options.

http://www.fingerfit.net/

Finger Fit

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hinging a delicate, thin ring, is a difficult challenge. You need strength enough in the ring to keep the roundness against the tension required by the clasping mechanism. Many hinged shanks depend upon the shank itself for this tension soa think shank might bend away and not keep the clasp locked as well as a heavier design. There are alternative hinging shanks with more complex clasp mechanisms which do not depend on the shank for their closure. They may use a mechanical lock or a plunger clasp built into the shank. These can be done with pretty narrow rings. They are pretty pricey, but work well. None of these solutions work as well as a standard, one size ring. Each type needs adjustment from time to time to keep it working and most will wear out over time and need to be replaced eventually. They are a lot better than saying you can''t wear the ring, so they are a good alternative in that sense.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a pic of my ring with sizing beads if it helps

maipostsizbea1.jpg

2danes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/6/2008 2:56:01 PM
Author: jazmine
I use a horseshoe sizer and had started a thread on it here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/horseshoe-sizer.38617/

It works great for me.

Wow, that thing looks cool jazmine!
Do you mind if I ask the difference between your knuckle size and your ring size?
My knuckle is about at a 7 1/2 while my ring is a 5 1/2-- a big difference, I''m starting to loose heart that unless my knuckle swelling goes down, I won''t be able to get the pretty micro pave that I was eyeing.
I might really need to get one of those adjustable rings.

Northerner

Rough_Rock
Here''s a pic of one of Allans rings,

hinged shank1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results