shape
carat
color
clarity

Size vs. Clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
I''m looking at an AGS Ideal Cut 0 .838 carat, G color, VS2. Price is arond $4500-4600. Should I stay with the VS2 or drop to SI1 and try to get the size up to .90 and above? Is that possible to do that and stay within the same price range?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Not exactly sure about pricing, but many people would rather have the extra size, assuming you''re talking about an EYE CLEAN SI1. I''ve seen SI2''s that you couldn''t tell from an internally flawless with the naked eye. I went with VS2 myself, but if I''d known then what I know now I may have gone for the SI.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would rather have the SI1 size than the .83 clarity. My ring is SI1 and no problem.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
So I''ll try for an SI1. Anyone have any idea what size carat I could get if I''m looking at a G in color and an AGS Ideal 0 cut?

ru4rn

Rough_Rock
Really, everyone would choose the .90. What do you think you would notice more that small size difference or small clarity difference? I would choose the .83.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 6:11:06 PM
Author: ru4rn
Really, everyone would choose the .90. What do you think you would notice more that small size difference or small clarity difference? I would choose the .83.

My guess is that most people would go for size because you CAN''T notice the clarity difference if the stone is eye clean, but you CAN notice the size difference.

I''d go for an eye clean SI1 any day. Oh, wait--I did!

ru4rn

Rough_Rock
What if you had the choice between a .83, D, VVS1 or a .90, G, Si?? Wouldn''t you go for the better quality b/c it might make it seem bigger than the .90?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go for the best cut at any size or clarity, to be honest.

I''m not sure how a higher color or clarity would make a smaller diamond look bigger. Cut (spread) would affect face-up size, but not color or clarity.

Are you in the market for a stone? There are a lot of experts here on PS who would weigh in with wonderful advice, if you''d like to share.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Clarity and color do not really influence how large a diamond looks.

I recommend you go see lots of stones in person to determine your color and clarity comfort level.

ru4rn

Rough_Rock
I guess its all about finding your comfort level with size, color, and clarity. Some prefer size, greater quality, etc. I was just trying to figure out how to decide on those two stones which are so close in specs. I''m learning and all this is informative. I''m sorta kinda looking but haven''t really gotten serious yet :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
When you''re ready, post the diamonds you''re considering and you''ll get some great advice.

I also think you might be confusing something here. It sounds like you think an SI1 or G diamond is not "quality," which is incorrect. A well cut G SI1 will throw off more sparkle than a poorly cut D VVS1. When you get out and compare in real life, you''ll see what I''m talking about. (Spend some time in the knowledge section of this forum, there''s much to learn.)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d still take the 0.9 G SI1 if its eye clean. I might like a D but can''t see the difference in clarity of a VVS1. Not only that, if the 0.9 G/SI1 is as well cut as the 0.83 D/VVS1, the only difference I''ll see is the size. Why pay more for something I can''t see? It''s the cut that determines the sparkle of the diamond and that would be my top priority. A G/SI1 is still a quality stone if ideal or close to ideal cut.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut is probably one of the most important things to consider. A well cut smaller stone can look bigger than a stone that is badly cut and slightly larger. If the cut/color are almost equivalent on both stones, I would always choose size over clarity as long as you didn't see anything really nasty in the stone. Even eye visible inclusions in an SI stone are not noticable to most people unless you look very close up to the stone. I am one of those people that doesn't get too hung up on clarity in diamonds though. JMO.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I went down in clarity and color (got an H, SI2 eye clean) because I wanted a larger stone...it all worked out. Cut was most important but as long as it''s eye clean, I don''t need an IF or VVS stone...I love my SI2

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another one in favour of size over clarity, anytime! I may even go down to an H (with a well cut RB, you most probably won't be able to see a difference in colour between a G and an H), eye-clean Si2. I have one of those specs and LOVE it!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a VS girl so that''s what I''d probably go for but if you can look at them before you buy do so and see which you''d prefer.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Assuming the diamonds were well cut, I would take the largest stone with colour and clarity I couldn''t see. I can''t see the colour or clarity in a G/SI1 so I''d take the .90 over the .83 D.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results