shape
carat
color
clarity

size difference 0.82c vs 1c ....reassurance needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond Joe Quimby

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, this is more of a ''reassurance required'' thread - I have been a lurker of PS for about a year, finally started posting a few months back when selecting an e-ring for my other half ....I have got so much good advice on here!!
1.gif

Anyway...another repeat question.....

Question - WOULD THERE BE A VISIBLE DIFFERENCE IN A 6mm diamond versus a 1 carat (say 6.5mm???). How much of a visible difference?

Long story short, I have ordered a 0.82 stone set in a sleek lines legato in white gold (all through whiteflash). The stone, has a measurement of 6.07-6.10mm. It has not arrived yet - should get it next week. I am very pleased with the service and advice from Whiteflash and VERY sure that I got a GREAT stone (GIA excellent cut, polish and symmetry, EX accross the board on HCA, eye clean etc, the people at WF said it was a great stone when viewed in person).

I haven''t seen the stone/setting in person yet and what worrying me is SHOULD I HAVE GONE LARGER?.... but then I would have had to sacrifice on quality..

I know that I am probably being completely stupid, and that this question has been asked before - but I really want some honest advice from those who got less than 1 carat stones or those that decided to go up in size ..... experiences or comments welcome (good or bad)

I know that WF have a great upgrade policy, but I''m very sentimental and want to propose etc with one ring/diamond and never change it............

I''ve done everything including draw a picture of each, calculate the surface area of each, try to find objects around the house about the same size, visited jewellers to look in windows etc etc etc...am I mad!?

other details 0.82 stone 6.10*6.07, white gold sleek lines legato solitaire ring (4 prong), ring size 4.....

A
32.gif

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
There will be a very slight visible size difference if the two stones were placed next to each other. Most people begin to discern a size difference at 0.5 mm. For examples, see the size comparison sticky thread at the top of this forum.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Also, I have a 6.01 x 6.04 millimeter, 0.79 carat stone, and I love it. My fiance wanted to buy a larger one, but I convinced him I loved this particular stone and going larger wasn''t worth the added cost or compromise in quality. The ideal stone size is based on a combination of budget and personal preference. It sounds like you purchased a beautiful stone and ring and I''m sure your girlfriend will be thrilled. Concentrate on the fact that you''re about to propose to the love of your life, and don''t worry about the ring.

Diamond Joe Quimby

Rough_Rock
thank urseberry.......

I know what you are sayiong about the ''don''t worry about the stone etc'' because its all about the two of us being together forever etc....

Just want it to be PERFECT....

Don''t get me wrong, I am sure I have a perfect ring coming, and one that I will be very happy to propose with...........but, well, you know...im an idiot!

I keep telling myself, if I had a 1.2 carat stone, would I then want to get a 1.35 one? Then if i had a 1.35 carat stone, woudl I want a 1.5 one........Potentially I could keep upgrading until I could keep going until I buy the cullinan diamond from the Queen!!
31.gif

Just have these thoughts taht I COULD have gone larger.....

Silly I know......but I AM a man!
25.gif

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I recently purchased a new diamond for my upgrade and looked at several stones. An .83, a .90 and 2 that were 1.04. I could tell a definite size difference in the .83 and the 1.04 but only a miniscule diffence in the .83 and.90. The .83 was a very nice size and very beautiful and I don't think it would be very noticeable unless the 2 were side by side. But if it's in your budget and you find it important to reach the 1 carat mark then go for it. Either way I think she will be thrilled! Good luck!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Yes, there''s an obvious difference in size between .82 and 1.0 carats.

However, there''s nothing magic about 1.0. Just buy what your budget is comfortable with. I think most of us would prefer an engagement ring that was within budget rather than one that put anyone in debt
1.gif

lazybum9

Rough_Rock
I wouldn''t see much diff betw the 2...personally budget and preference plays a bigger part in the purchase...

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s easy to get hung up on the size of the actual stone when other factors come into play more I believe. If your gf has a smaller ring size then a 0.8ct will look like a 1.0ct anyway. Also, a thinner band will make it look larger IMO. I don''t think it matters to get to that magic mark. I would say just leave it as is, and then if you still feel like you both want to go larger, you can upgrade later.

I also agree with the notion that if you go 1.0ct then what about 1.2ct and so on, it could go on forever (and is more likely to when you hang around here!).

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
I just had the same experience you did and ended up getting a very similar sized stone. Mine was 0.81 that faced up at 5.98x6.04, I think. I was really worried about the size difference, but when i picked that stone, I had it next to a 0.92, 0.9, 0.85 and 0.79 and since it was the best cut one of the bunch, it looked just as big as the 0.92! As long as you got a well cut stone, which it appears you did, then the spread will be wonderful and you''ll never know the difference. I know my soon to be FI kind of had it in her head that she wanted 1.0 or bigger, but it just wasn''t in the budget for a worthwhile stone, so I ended up getting a couple of side stones and when/if she asks, I''ll tell her that its a total 1.25 ct. ring, which is true. But having the center stone next to smaller side stones helps a lot as well. I''m sure that your size is fine and that she''ll never know or care. (In case you couldn''t tell, I''m writing this to reassure myself as well!)

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock

Just to say that the quality of the cut plays a crucial role in the apparent visual size.

A well-cut 0.8 carat diamond will look bigger and sparkle more than a commercial or average cut 1 carat diamond! Regulars to PS will likely have seen this comparison before (photo credit to Garry Holloway). The stone on the left is actually smaller carat weight than the one on the right, but it looks larger because it has the topmost cut quality and hence is returning light from edge-to-edge.

Hence your well-cut 0.8 carat will beat many other people''s 1 carat diamonds if their diamonds are the mass-market average commercial cut quality diamonds.

comparison12345.jpg

lesco

Brilliant_Rock

Ladies and gents I''m baaaaaaaaaaack from this hideous trip and I have a whole lot of catching up to do...

To the OP, yes, you can see the difference between .82 and a well cut 1 carat. I have an .82 myself and I had to factor in the huge price increase to get to the magic 1 carat mark. I could not justify the extra $$$.

Whether or not going the extra .5 is worth the money is an extremely personal decision.

Your well cut eighty pointer will outshine the average 1 carat stone though...
36.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Coming from the perspective of a woman

.82 is a very nice size because it is large enough to give some nice finger coverage (especially on a size 4 finger) and you can appreciate the details of the diamond. I would be very happy with this size, expecially if there was an upgrade option in the future.

Regarldess of my thought process, I think that the diamond you selected will look great on her finger.

Here is a pic of Chickpeas ring, hers' is .79 and she her finger size is 4.75 and I think the porportions are great.

Hope this is enought reassurance for you. Congratulations on your upcoming proposal.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
I have a .85 RB with almost the exact size dimensions as your stone.

While every once in awhile I have issues with perceived ''shrinkage'' and wishing I had hit that magic 1ct mark, I can''t imagine having given up quality and cut simply for a *slightly* larger stone.

In fact, last night I was having dinner with a girlfriend of mine and we were sitting outside. She told me the flashes from the sun coming off my ring were ''blinding''! So then we started talking about my experience choosing my stone and she said "that must be an excellent diamond...it''s not the biggest, but it''s really amazing looking". I told her I definitely picked quality over quantity and she agreed that was the smart thing to do because it''s such a beauty.

Also, if you are going to have a thin shank (and I think the Legato does have that) when sitting on a size 4 finger the stone will probably not be discernible at all from a full 1 ct.

The illustration Indira-London posted is just startling, isn''t it?

If I had it to do all over again and with the same budget, I''d still choose great quality over a measly .15ct more.

Good luck...I''m sure it will be gorgeous. Let''s see photos when it arrives!
35.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
there is a difference between .82ct and 1ct. But, your girlfriends finger is quite small, so it will appear larger on her hand than, say, someone with hands like mine...size 6.5.

Diamond Joe Quimby

Rough_Rock

Hiya everyone,

thanks so much for your comments regarding my size question (keep it clean people…..

31.gif
)

I have today received photos from Whiteflash for the e-ring that I have had made for my girlfriend….I have to say that it does look amazing – I will try to post pictures….I am looking forward to receiving it in the next week or so (I’m in Australia).

Anyway, I have done a lot of research/reading and it appears that there are a few people out there interested in the 1 carat size versus slightly less than a carat question…..

I found this thread very interesting:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/scientific-evidence-that-better-cut-bigger-size.11048/

basically a PS member compared a heap of 1 carat diamonds at one of the online vendors and found that whilst WELL CUT 1 carat stones were generally 6.4-6.5mm poorer cut 1 carat stones often were significantly less than this – sometimes less than 6mm…

Interesting.

Thanks for all your comments, more comments welcome by anyone who has anything to add!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results