shape
carat
color
clarity

Singapore Duties and Taxes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PureICE

Rough_Rock
Can someone out there tell me whether loose diamonds bought over the internet from US will be charged any Duties or GSTs in Singapore?
I live in Australia but have families there. I am trying to avoid 10% GST(if I have it delivered to Australia).
Thanks.

PureICE
:wavey:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
18 months ago we had 32% sales tax on luxury goods in Australia.
We now have 10% consumption tax on all things except food and rent.
This money pays for police hospitals and unemployment benefits etc.

Apart from the fact that conspiring (publicly!!) to avoid taxes is illegal, I find what you are attempting to do morally reprehensable.

PureICE

Rough_Rock
Well, I am not trying to avoid tax totally but am trying not get taxed TWICE for the same thing!!
I will be going to Singapore for Christmas and I was intending to get my diamond set over there as that's where I usually buy my jewellery from. However, I was told that I would have to pay custom's GST when the diamond arrives in Australia AND when I come back to Australia I would have to pay tax on it again. That is DOUBLE taxation which just doesn't make sense. So, since I will be going to Singapore anyways why not have it sent to Singapore?!! That way, I am 'Reducing' (Avoiding) tax and save me from having to bring it to Singapore anyways?! That is not tax evasion so I have nothing to hide!!! Tax AVOIDANCE is NOT tax EVASION!! Tax Evasion is illegal. Minimising tax is part of good financial management which is why people hire ACCOUNTANT (that's my profession)!
So, tell me why I should have to pay tax twice for the same thing???? Justify that Garry!!The tax system is NOT perfect!!

PureICE

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results