shape
carat
color
clarity

Silver-white tahitians

sencha1554

Rough_Rock
So, I've only been interested in pearls for about 2 1/2 months now, but I've been almost obsessively reading this forum and the other one as well, learning up on the trusted vendors. I love looking at everyone's photos! I've made way too many pearl purchases so far, including a couple of amazing metallic freshadama strands from PP, but I wanted to share my very first Tahitian pearl purchase because I'm so excited about them! I wanted a shorter length in a neutral color that I could wear every day and that would still show when I wear collared shirts. I was torn between this strand and one that PP had for sale, but ended up ordering this 16" 8-10mm silver to silver-white with slight bronze overtones baroque strand from tahitianpearls.biz. I haven't had a chance to look at them in the sunlight, but I'm already smitten! I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow, but here's what I got with my phone camera tonight:

silver_tahitians_1.jpg

silver_tahitians_3.jpg

1-silver_tahitians_2.jpg

1-silver_tahitians_4-001.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes! Those are beautifully shaped and a sweet display of neutral colors. I'm guessing you will see some lovely overtones by day. And, the pearl size and the strand length look perfect for daily wear. :appl:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Holy Tahitians! Those look wonderful! They look very close to round too. Are there any rings on the pearls?

I'd also like to politely request pictures of your other pearl purchases. :)

sencha1554

Rough_Rock
haha ok, I only have a few of my other purchases, and all cell phone pics, but I'll find the best ones I can.

There are some light rings on some of the pearls, not all of them. I like them, there are a couple where the ring also is a different color to the rest of the pearl. I'm happy with the shapes, they're not round, but they're not to oblong or too squatty either. There are quite a few blemishes on some of the pearls, but I don't feel that they detract from the beauty of the necklace.

sencha1554

Rough_Rock
So far I have a 100" freshwater rope from PP, 7.5-8.0mm lavender metallic freshwater studs from PP (no pictures yet), the 20s-inspired tassel necklace from PP, and 1 each of the lavender and gold-pink metallic graduated freshadamas from PP. I originally bought the gold-pink, and they are gorgeous, but they don't look good against my bare skin. However, they look very pretty on top of something gray, so I'm still trying to decide whether to return them or not. No pics of the lavenders on yet, but they look much better against my skin.

pile_o_0.jpg

pink_freshadamas_1.jpg

img_3277.jpg

pink_freshadamas_3.jpg

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Wow, very impressive collection in a short period of time! I think the gold pink is really lovely but if you don't love it, don't keep it.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You're building up a sweet collection. Next variations will be in size or shape I suspect - or maybe an enhancer to party-up that lovely strand of Tahitians.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I love your growing collection. Excellent choices! Wear all your new pearls in good health!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful and elegant Tahitians! You have a lovely collection!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Nice collection. I see you got two strands of the metallic graduated freshadama pearls from PP. Very nice, and very different colors.

I look forward to pictures of you wearing the lavender strand. As far as the pink-gold go, I find it hard to wear that color of Chinese freshwater pearl as well. However, those graduated metallics are as nice as they come, so if you ever think you would wear that color of pearl, that strand is the one to have.

I waffled for a long time on the 100 inch freshwater rope, and finally decided I probably would not wear it much. I'll be interested to hear how you like wearing it. If you got the tassle necklace as well, then your style may trend more to the 'lots of pearl ropes' look.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Your Tahitian strand looks lovely!

I ordered a graduated metallic gold pink strand, but I ended up returning it. It just didn't do anything for me, and I already had a couple of multicoloured strands in same colour range.

Enjoy your pearls!

sencha1554

Rough_Rock
I usually wear my rope doubled and then knotted to make a sort of lariat shaped necklace. Sometimes I twist it into a torsade. I'd like to be able to wear it tripled and just hanging straight, but the silk hasn't relaxed enough yet so some parts of the necklace have some kinks in it, I may end up dunking it in water for a minute or two to wet the silk and then lay them out to dry to get the kinks out. I like the long necklaces because I can wear them on top of my collared shirts; the 18" length is better with either a crew-neck or a deep v-neck top. The 16" is short enough to wear under my collared shirts and still show with the top 2 buttons undone, whereas the 18" is a little too long to wear inside the collar but there's no good way to wear them outside the collar either. Basically, I want all the necklaces, so I always have something to wear no matter what shirt I'm wearing lol.

sencha1554

Rough_Rock
Got some daylight pictures of the tahitians! *love*

silver_tahitians_daylight_3.jpg

silver_tahitians_daylight_1.jpg

silver_tahitians_daylight_2.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Oh, really beautiful!!! Enjoy and wear in good health!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a great purchase. They make any outfit look more polished. :)

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Another newbie here, hello :wavey:. Aren't pearls fabulous? And so addictives? You have VERY nice collection, all so classics and elegant. And Your Tahitians; they look almost liquid :lickout: .It makes makes me want nice strand to myself too! And here is motto; don't shame and hide Your beautis, but just share and share. Lots of photos, please! Enjo!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I agree -- more neck shots, please!

YC

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE those silver Tahitians on you. They look almost round on your pictures.
As for the gold pink metallic graduated strand, it may be too close to your skin tones. If u do not love it, I agree u should return it. U will probably find something else which u love more. Speaking from experience, if after about a few days of trying out the pearls and you still have doubts, they are probably not the right pearls for you.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely new strand :appl: :appl: :appl: For someone who has only reciently started collecting pearls you are well on your way to an amazing collection. Enjoy all of your beauties.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
LOOOOVVEE your silver tahitians! :love: :love: :love:

Isn't Jose great to work with? Such awesome prices too!

Plus I think his pictures are much more representative of what you get in real life, some vendors pics seem to over-promise.

Perfect color for you, too! :appl: :appl:

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
sencha1554|1389574166|3591636 said:
I usually wear my rope doubled and then knotted to make a sort of lariat shaped necklace. Sometimes I twist it into a torsade. I'd like to be able to wear it tripled and just hanging straight, but the silk hasn't relaxed enough yet so some parts of the necklace have some kinks in it, I may end up dunking it in water for a minute or two to wet the silk and then lay them out to dry to get the kinks out.

Stunning pearls, especially those tahitians!

You don't need wet your rope to stretch it, just hold the kinked section in both hands and slowly pull. If you do that a few times, they will stretch!
If you wet it, it might well stretch more than you want. It's also not so good for the silk to get it wet (frays and wears out faster).

Enjoy those beauties!

Did you decide yet whether or not to keep the freshwater metallics?

sencha1554

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, I really need to slow down on the pearls lol. They are very addictive!

iLander- yes, I agree, Jose's pearls are a great price and the vendor photos totally look like what I got, so I'm very happy! I also like that he offers the choice of silver clasps, they help make things economical.

periwinklegirl- yes, I have pulled on my rope, I even hung it up overnight every night the first week I got it. It's gotten a little better, but I want it to hurry up and get all the way better lol. I hand-wash all of my silk shirts that say dry-clean only, and they turn out great, the key is to not let the silk soak for longer than a minute or two, and to roll it up in a towel to press out out the water before you hang it up to dry. The silk thread in a necklace is a little different obviously, you can't press out the water and you can't hang it up to dry, it would have to be laid flat. We'll see, I may give it another month or so before I resort to wetting. Silk is pretty strong when it's dry, as long as it doesn't get damaged while wet.

Also, I think I will keep both of the metallic graduated strands, I really wanted pink pearls and they look really good with neutral-colored crew-necks (of which I have quite a few), and the luster is really fantastic on the strand that I got- like, mirror reflections fantastic. They'll get worn :)

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Can I post a caution about getting your silk thread wet please. It really isn't a good idea. Moisture gets stuck inside the drill holes and inside the knots for longer than on the surface and the silk starts to deteriorate. Pearls of course don't mind being wet, but silk does.
Wetting thread for a necklace is very different to hand washing a blouse which will dry quickly.
What would happen if you squashed a wet blouse inside a narrow tube and left it?

sencha1554

Rough_Rock
You make a good point. Let's just say it will be a last resort before having them restrung altogether.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Consider getting them strung onto a synthetic next time. Then you can wash and wash!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
sencha1554|1390092275|3595820 said:
Also, I think I will keep both of the metallic graduated strands, I really wanted pink pearls and they look really good with neutral-colored crew-necks (of which I have quite a few), and the luster is really fantastic on the strand that I got- like, mirror reflections fantastic. They'll get worn :)

I, too, am slowing down on pearl purchases. Partly because I have quite a few stringing projects to finish and partly because I'm trying to be more fiscally responsible!

Glad you decided to keep the metallics! They're lovely.

And I wash all my silk tops in the machine!

But I quit stringing on silk because of the fraying. And the synthetic is much stronger.

Enjoy those gorgeous pearls! Bet you're having fun wearing the rope.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results