shape
carat
color
clarity

Silver Cape, a color grade?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arin

Rough_Rock
I have been looking thru the rings on ebay and came across a 1930''s platinum e-ring, that has a center diamond listed as 1.25 carats. The description goes on to say that "the stone has slight inclusions that give it a silverish color". It is a full cut round brilliant, Clarity grade was listed as SI2, and color grade is listed as "silver cape". (just going by the description givin)

I hadn''t heard of this silver cape description, and would think it makes the diamond "flawed"?? I thought the color grade was D-Z, just when I think I''m starting to catch on to the "diamond lingo" I find something new!!

So, does anyone know about this silver cape, and how it affects the quality of a diamond?
(Sorry if it is a dumb question, I don''t mean to waste anyones time!)

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
The GIA color grading system is not the only one in use. There are a number of others of varying reliability. "Silver cape" is an old term that corresponds to around K-M depending on whom you ask. It's been used and misused by so many people that its meaning is no longer very clear.

The diamond in question probably has a slight tint face-up, which isn't usual in old diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results