shape
carat
color
clarity

Silly Question - Setting Gemstone in Stock Setting

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
Hi all! Silly question from a newbie, so please bear with me! :pray: I made a random/impulse purchase of a 6.1mm (and 4mm deep) loose sapphire from Master Cut Gems (this one!), and now I'd like to get it set...as cheaply as possible. If I purchase a stock sterling silver ring setting online - that can hold a 6mm stone - can I go to any local jeweler and have them set the stone? Does it matter that the setting is pre-notched? Will the .1mm difference in diameter make a big difference? Obviously it's virtually impossible to find a pre-made 6.1mm setting, so I'm assuming the jeweler will work a little magic to spread the prongs out?

I would feel more comfortable going to a local jeweler rather than mailing my stone away for the vendor to set it, especially if I'm looking to buy a cheap setting (under $20) from somewhere like Etsy. I'd also consider going to a jeweler and finding the cheapest Stuller setting they can get, if that's a better option!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I would call up the local stores you are interested in using and ask first if they are even willing to use an outside stone and setting. Some will some won't. Those that will charge a setting fee. I have a few stores around me who do for about 50 to 100 depending on the store. If I just get a stock solitaire though from them usually that fee is waived.

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
@MeowMeow that's a great point -- duh! lol. Unfortunately the jeweler around the corner from my office (and who has a great relationship with some of my co-workers) isn't listed as a Stuller vendor, but it won't hurt to ask to get a feel for my options. Thanks for the tip/help!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
@cettesaphir. Oof that's unfortunate! Might still be worth having a chat with them if you haven't yet. Maybe they just use another brand? but yeah! Glad to help! I hope you can find a setting soon! Setting is probably my favourite part of the process!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
In my experience 6.1mm is fine for a 6mm setting, but remember, the 4mm deep is just as important to fit!

P.S. looks like an intriguing stone! Please post pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results