shape
carat
color
clarity

Sigh, I Need Help!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so undecided it's driving both me and my husband crazy. I need help please. I'm currently in the middle of having a ruby pendant custom made. The center diamond of my Calla ring is being removed to become the center diamond of this pendant. That's all done and in process but that leaves me with this gorgeous setting that I love and want to wear again. I've gone back and forth for months over what to put in it. I already have pretty much every color covered in my rings except black and white and I do wear a lot of black and white in the winter months. My initial thought was to create a black and white ring but my issue was what gem to use for this look. I really don't want onyx or black diamond. This is the center stone so I want it to have life if you know what I mean. So I started to pursue a charcoal grey spinel only to be told over and over again that spinels all have modifiers. I don't want any modifiers in this center stone. So I went back to the drawing board to consider other options and haven't come up with anything. Almost 5 months later and I am still clueless as to what to do. I need something in the 6.0 - 6.03 range. What would you put in this setting if you had the choice?

IMG_4858.JPG

IMG_4860.JPG

IMG_4852.JPG

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I could see a moonstone there - some have, at least to my eye, a mostly white glow. I find that the luminous light of the moonstone plays well with the rainbow sparkle of diamonds.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto the moonstone recommendation. I love my moonstone ring. It has lots of life and they come in different shades (some lean more silver, some more blue, etc.). Opal (black or white) and white sapphire also comes to mind as options.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Moonstone would be lovely, but you can find a charcoal spinel- it just may take someone helping hunt one down in the right size.
This is a little too big but they may have be able to find you another.
There's also grey moissanite as well if you want sparkle bomb.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first vote would be for a fancy gray diamond, but I just checked Leibish, Ishay Ben David, and DBL for a 6mm round grey or black diamond and did not see anything listed ...

I also wonder about a Tahitian Pearl in your setting ... I noticed Kojima Pearl has 6mm Tahitian pearl stud earrings -- maybe she has a few extra 6mm Tahitian pearls? https://kojimapearl.com/products/6mm-tahitian-pearl-studs-on-solid-14k-yellow-gold

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep a big pearl…Tahitian or grey.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could see a moonstone there - some have, at least to my eye, a mostly white glow. I find that the luminous light of the moonstone plays well with the rainbow sparkle of diamonds.

Ditto the moonstone recommendation. I love my moonstone ring. It has lots of life and they come in different shades (some lean more silver, some more blue, etc.). Opal (black or white) and white sapphire also comes to mind as options.

Well I have to say I never considered a moonstone. I do love them but I think I want something with a little more contrast but thank you for the idea.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moonstone would be lovely, but you can find a charcoal spinel- it just may take someone helping hunt one down in the right size.
This is a little too big but they may have be able to find you another.
There's also grey moissanite as well if you want sparkle bomb.

LOL, I have several vendors looking for the perfect charcoal spinel but nothing so far. Several have given up. I've never heard of grey moissanite. How grey is it?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first vote would be for a fancy gray diamond, but I just checked Leibish, Ishay Ben David, and DBL for a 6mm round grey or black diamond and did not see anything listed ...

I also wonder about a Tahitian Pearl in your setting ... I noticed Kojima Pearl has 6mm Tahitian pearl stud earrings -- maybe she has a few extra 6mm Tahitian pearls? https://kojimapearl.com/products/6mm-tahitian-pearl-studs-on-solid-14k-yellow-gold

I also think a gray pearl would be beautiful..

Yep a big pearl…Tahitian or grey.

Oh now that's something to consider! Especially since I'm on a pearl kick and just bought some tahitians, lol. A nice tahitian pearl could be fabulous. Would a pearl be able to be set in this setting?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I would consider a black opal.

Annette

I thought about that but I already have several opal rings. It might be hard to find a round opal in the size needed.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I did consider moving the pink sapphire from this ring to the Calla setting and putting a pearl in this setting. I rarely wear it as it is now and I probably would more if it had a gorgeous pearl in it. What do you think?

DSC_3501.JPG

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
LOL, I have several vendors looking for the perfect charcoal spinel but nothing so far. Several have given up. I've never heard of grey moissanite. How grey is it?

They have light, medium, and dark! They also have gray/purple and gray blue.
This lady is US based so hers are a little more, but I'm sure you can request any tone from any vendor you want.
This vendor cut a gray pear and emerald green step cut for a ring I made my sister that was a medium color.
20220213_160318.jpg

Actually I did consider moving the pink sapphire from this ring to the Calla setting and putting a pearl in this setting. I rarely wear it as it is now and I probably would more if it had a gorgeous pearl in it. What do you think?

DSC_3501.JPG

Ooh, I love pearls, so I'm all for that idea!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh now that's something to consider! Especially since I'm on a pearl kick and just bought some tahitians, lol. A nice tahitian pearl could be fabulous. Would a pearl be able to be set in this setting?

I think a good bench would be able to adapt the setting for a pearl! It would be gorgeous!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a star sapphire?
Even though you have "pretty much every color covered" in your collection, the asterism would provide a different look.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a traditional-looking (even classic-looking) ring and I think it "needs" a traditional-looking center stone -- low-color diamond or sapphire or aqua all come to mind. Otherwise, imo, you are at serious risk of an obvious "Franken-ring" look.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have light, medium, and dark! They also have gray/purple and gray blue.
This lady is US based so hers are a little more, but I'm sure you can request any tone from any vendor you want.
This vendor cut a gray pear and emerald green step cut for a ring I made my sister that was a medium color.
20220213_160318.jpg

Ooh, I love pearls, so I'm all for that idea!

Well I'm definitely going to check out grey moissy. Thanks!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a star sapphire?
Even though you have "pretty much every color covered" in your collection, the asterism would provide a different look.

Thank you for the suggestion but I do have a star sapphire. See that's my problem, lol.

Star Sapphire3.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a traditional-looking (even classic-looking) ring and I think it "needs" a traditional-looking center stone -- low-color diamond or sapphire or aqua all come to mind. Otherwise, imo, you are at serious risk of an obvious "Franken-ring" look.

I seriously don't want it to look like that!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If grey moissanite doesn’t scratch that itch-
( I’m curious if they color undertone to different lightings as well?)

There’s a few sellers who claim they ( at least in the past) cherry-pick grey spinels with very very little to no undertones. Dr Diesel, gemobsessedsingapore come to mind and maybe even gemcal has as well.

With your lovely collection as it is and not wanting a repeat of a color
And your stated want of a charcoal grey with some transparency/ life - as in no opaque of onyx, no black diamond.

I’d contact those people and inquire about a recut to the round in the size you want. Life is short. :)

My dark grey unfortunately isn’t a no secondary color one - so I can’t be absolutely sure - but I still think a no secondary color charcoal grey one will look somewhat different to the lighting in whether it’s showing dispersion or not, and that change is pretty magical in a charcoal :love:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely a vote for a pearl!!!!!

It's such a lovely setting it deserves a nice stone so something natural would be awesome.

PEARL!!!!!!!!!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not put a pearl in there, and I love pearls!
Pearls cannot be subjected to the sort of cleaning typically used to clean diamonds. No steaming, no ultrasonic cleaner, and very few prepared liquid cleaners. Basically you'd be left with cleaning it with a soft brush and a mild soap.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pearls cannot be subjected to the sort of cleaning typically used to clean diamonds. No steaming, no ultrasonic cleaner, and very few prepared liquid cleaners. Basically you'd be left with cleaning it with a soft brush and a mild soap.

That makes sense because the setting is intricate. It would possibly need more cleaning than a pearl could take.
@Catmom Do you use an ultrasonic cleaner on the ring now?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If grey moissanite doesn’t scratch that itch-
( I’m curious if they color undertone to different lightings as well?)

There’s a few sellers who claim they ( at least in the past) cherry-pick grey spinels with very very little to no undertones. Dr Diesel, gemobsessedsingapore come to mind and maybe even gemcal has as well.

With your lovely collection as it is and not wanting a repeat of a color
And your stated want of a charcoal grey with some transparency/ life - as in no opaque of onyx, no black diamond.

I’d contact those people and inquire about a recut to the round in the size you want. Life is short. :)

My dark grey unfortunately isn’t a no secondary color one - so I can’t be absolutely sure - but I still think a no secondary color charcoal grey one will look somewhat different to the lighting in whether it’s showing dispersion or not, and that change is pretty magical in a charcoal :love:

I have some dk grey spinel earrings that I like but they have a bluish overtone so not what I was going for. I have ordered a charcoal grey moissy and a black one to see what they are like.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That makes sense because the setting is intricate. It would possibly need more cleaning than a pearl could take.
@Catmom Do you use an ultrasonic cleaner on the ring now?
I don't because there are so many little diamonds in the gallery. I very rarely use my ultrasonic. I have a pearl and ruby ring that I've had for years so I could handle the cleaning.

Definitely a vote for a pearl!!!!!

It's such a lovely setting it deserves a nice stone so something natural would be awesome.

PEARL!!!!!!!!!

LOL I do want the ring to be special. I love this setting.
Pearls cannot be subjected to the sort of cleaning typically used to clean diamonds. No steaming, no ultrasonic cleaner, and very

That is something definitely to note but I baby this ring anyways because of all the little diamonds in the gallery so it may not be a deal breaker for me. A gorgeous pearl is up there on the list for me right now. I am checking out dk grey moissy but I don't know if it would really fit in this setting.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't because there are so many little diamonds in the gallery. I very rarely use my ultrasonic. I have a pearl and ruby ring that I've had for years so I could handle the cleaning.

LOL I do want the ring to be special. I love this setting.

That is something definitely to note but I baby this ring anyways because of all the little diamonds in the gallery so it may not be a deal breaker for me. A gorgeous pearl is up there on the list for me right now. I am checking out dk grey moissy but I don't know if it would really fit in this setting.

@Catmom I vote for the pearl then!
I have a setting where I took the diamond out. I had it set with a moissanite. I really like moissanite but it just bothered me. I had it taken out and set with a tourmaline in the meantime. I’ve been toying with resetting mine with a pearl. I’m looking forward to seeing what you decide!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Catmom I vote for the pearl then!
I have a setting where I took the diamond out. I had it set with a moissanite. I really like moissanite but it just bothered me. I had it taken out and set with a tourmaline in the meantime. I’ve been toying with resetting mine with a pearl. I’m looking forward to seeing what you decide!

Since I've never seen a moissanite IRL before I ordered a dk grey one and a black one just to see. It would really have to blow me away for me to use it though. If I did a pearl, I think I would use that other setting for it and move the pink sapphire to the Calla setting.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since I've never seen a moissanite IRL before I ordered a dk grey one and a black one just to see. It would really have to blow me away for me to use it though. If I did a pearl, I think I would use that other setting for it and move the pink sapphire to the Calla setting.

Moissanite is gorgeous. It’s more of a mind clean thing for some people. Just make sure the gray moissanite is colored throughout and not a coating. My blue one was colored throughout.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the Moissanite experiment has so far been a failure. The grey one came and it looks almost exactly like my charcoal spinel with a very blue cast to it. Picture shows spinel on the left and moissanite in the box. I have one more try coming, a black moissanite, but I'm not holding out hope. Also m y jeweler says my Calla setting really can't be retrofitted for a pearl. So that is out. Spinel vs Moissanite.jpg

Spinel vs Moissanite2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results