shape
carat
color
clarity

Side stones for an August Vintage Cushion!

Would pear side stones look odd with an August Vintage Cushion?

• Total voters

rainydayam

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone! I could really use some opinions on an engagement ring that my partner and I are trying to create. I have fallen head over heels in love with August vintage cushions and my soon to be fiancé has fallen in love with pear shaped diamonds. We have chosen an elongated August vintage cushion (just under 1ct) that we intend to put in to a three stone ring. Would an August vintage cushion pair well with brilliant pear side stones or would that look off? We intend to ask David Klass to create the ring. Thanks everyone!!

Reactions: AV_

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would look lovely. I would try to find pear diamonds that have chunky facets instead of splintery facets to blend with the cushion. If they will be pretty small I don’t think it would be as important.

rainydayam

Rough_Rock
A18C5DC1-B4F6-42A8-8D08-9CD6D494D6DE.png
I think it would look lovely. I would try to find pear diamonds that have chunky facets instead of splintery facets to blend with the cushion. If they will be pretty small I don’t think it would be as important.
Thank you! I think they would be small. The August vintage cushion that we are looking at is about 6mm by 5.6mm so the pear side stones would have to be pretty small to fit the center (not posting the stone just yet because we haven’t bought it and I don’t want someone else to buy it before we have a chance ). This is the ring (and the proportions) that we had in mind, but with diamond pears not sapphires

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is personal preference, but I kind of think antique pear diamonds (if you can find them; Jonathan may be able to source them) would look better than modern brilliant cut pears. I would probably opt for a set of colored stone pears if antique cut diamond pears weren’t available before I’d go with modern brilliant pears for a three stone ring. I don’t mind mixing cuts in different pieces, but not a fan of mixing old & new cut diamonds in the same piece.

Might a moi e toi style be an option? An AV cushion paired with a single antique pear kind of bypass style? There was some celebrity that recently had something along these lines but I can pin my finger on who.

rainydayam

Rough_Rock
This is personal preference, but I kind of think antique pear diamonds (if you can find them; Jonathan may be able to source them) would look better than modern brilliant cut pears. I would probably opt for a set of colored stone pears if antique cut diamond pears weren’t available before I’d go with modern brilliant pears for a three stone ring. I don’t mind mixing cuts in different pieces, but not a fan of mixing old & new cut diamonds in the same piece.

Might a moi e toi style be an option? An AV cushion paired with a single antique pear kind of bypass style? There was some celebrity that recently had something along these lines but I can pin my finger on who.
Having antique cushions from Jonathan would be amazing so I will definitely ask him if he has any. The August vintage cushion that we chose is also a K colored diamond so finding pears that match color wise is also a concern. I looked up Moi e Toi style rings and they r gorgeous! I think though, for an engagement ring, I would prefer something a bit more traditional . Thanks so much for your suggestions!

rainydayam

Rough_Rock
You can see my ring here
It's an AVC with diamond pears. Its a K AVC with G/H pears.
Omg I could hug u! THIS IS GORGEOUS! I am also getting a K colored AVC but setting it in yellow gold. Are your pear side stones brilliant cut? Also, if you don’t mind my asking, could you tell me the dimensions of your stones? I think the proportions are absolutely perfect!

rainydayam

Rough_Rock
Oh my gosh @Diamondbug you need to make a thread on that ring!!! :love: And great to show that the combination works amazingly.
Yes Diamondbug please make a thread full of pictures of your amazing ring... or feel free to post as many pictures as you want here. Your ring truly is gorgeous!

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
The ring was actually made for an E colored mrb that did nothing for me, it was too too icy white for me ...hence the G pears. So I decided to go back to an AVC. I couldn't decide on a new setting, and I love love this setting and it fits so decide to set it till I can decide but I love it so much, I'm keeping it as is for now. You can see the color difference from the sides, not from the top. The pears' sparkles compliments the cushion. I have gotten so many compliments from friends and strangers, I am getting a little self conscious. So the AVC measure 7.32 X 7.19 and I just checked and the pears are G in color and about .30ct each. Hope this helps you.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted ODD unless antique pears.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can see my ring here
It's an AVC with diamond pears. Its a K AVC with G/H pears. The ring is by David Klass.

OP when you asked, I wasn't sure, but I love diamonbug's ring. I think Diamonds By Lauren makes a lot of rings with this kind of combination, too.

rainydayam

Rough_Rock
OP when you asked, I wasn't sure, but I love diamonbug's ring. I think Diamonds By Lauren makes a lot of rings with this kind of combination, too.
Thank you Dreamer Dachsie! I’ll take a look at diamonds by Lauren!

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the kind compliments on the my ring. PS'er have such gorgeous rings and exceptional taste, I feel so humbled and honored. I just took some horrible photos of my ring indoors at night with a yg band to kinda give you an idea of the K with yellow gold. It is 22k so a lot yellower than 18k yg. Also took it with 14k rose gold band. And some other bands to show you how it looks like with higher colored stones. The 5 stone is I/J stones. Hope it helps. Let me know if I can help you with anything else. 20190321_102419.jpg 20190429_210546.jpg 20190429_210613.jpg 20190429_210846.jpg 20190429_210736.jpg

rainydayam

Rough_Rock
Diamomdbug, I’ve been going back and forth on what ring to get for a year. Thank you so much for your pictures and video. You’ve helped me to finally make up my mind. Your ring is gorgeous and elegant and appropriately blingy (I work in medicine). It’s perfect! I will definitely be getting an August vintage cushion with pears. :love:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the kind compliments on the my ring. PS'er have such gorgeous rings and exceptional taste, I feel so humbled and honored. I just took some horrible photos of my ring indoors at night with a yg band to kinda give you an idea of the K with yellow gold. It is 22k so a lot yellower than 18k yg. Also took it with 14k rose gold band. And some other bands to show you how it looks like with higher colored stones. The 5 stone is I/J stones. Hope it helps. Let me know if I can help you with anything else. 20190321_102419.jpg 20190429_210546.jpg 20190429_210613.jpg 20190429_210846.jpg 20190429_210736.jpg

Wow! That is an awesome ring! It stacks so well too! Beautiful, you must feel very lucky to have that! It does deserve it's own thread but only if you feel comfortable doing so. :geek2:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Diamomdbug, I’ve been going back and forth on what ring to get for a year. Thank you so much for your pictures and video. You’ve helped me to finally make up my mind. Your ring is gorgeous and elegant and appropriately blingy (I work in medicine). It’s perfect! I will definitely be getting an August vintage cushion with pears. :love:

Really really delighted you've been able to suss out your ring dreams! It's clearly something that's unusual and that one might not think worked as a combination, but as @Diamondbug has so clearly demonstrated, it's an awesome combination!

We look forward to you posting a thread on the finished version!

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock

Glad I could help. I too wondered if it would work at first, but I had nothing to lose since it was going to be temporary till I can decide on a permanent setting. I am sooo happy that I took that chance because it turned out so well. The pears are brilliant pears. To me the fast pinpoints flashes of the pears compliments the slower, bolder bigger flashes of the AVC. I wanted to show the K AVC next to yellow gold so you can see what a K would look like in yellow gold. I actually prefer a little warmth but I think the K AVC, still looks plenty white in 18k wg. My ring was made by David Klass. He came up with the proportions of the pears. If you like the proportions of my ring, show it to him and let him do his thing.... he is awesome at it. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!!:appl:

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! That is an awesome ring! It stacks so well too! Beautiful, you must feel very lucky to have that! It does deserve it's own thread but only if you feel comfortable doing so. :geek2:

Thank you sooo much. I do love my ring and enjoy stacking it...though I have short fingers.:roll2: I am glad it worked out because I loved that setting and just couldn't come up with another that I like as much on me. I will try to make a thread for the ring but I was waiting till school lets out so I can have more time to take photos. I have been a bad PS'er and have not had a photo session with my lovely AVC.:oops2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results