shape
carat
color
clarity

Side stone size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jddiamond

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am looking for a 1.50 - 1.60 Round diamond. I''d like a three stone setting. What are the minimun and maximum sizes of the side stones? Thanks in advance

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2007 3:18:10 PM
Author:jddiamond
Hi, I am looking for a 1.50 - 1.60 Round diamond. I''d like a three stone setting. What are the minimun and maximum sizes of the side stones? Thanks in advance
I guess it all depends on the look. I think 1.5 next to .5 each looks nice but it all depends on your visual likes.

diamonddesignco

Rough_Rock
I''ve created this style many times for clients and it really depends on your preferences, the style of the setting, and the overall look you are going for.

Have you selected the setting style (e.g., 4 prong, 3 prong, etc.)? Do you want a center stone big look or overall band of diamond big look?

Post a pic of the setting style if you have it, that will be helpful to make recommendations

jddiamond

Rough_Rock
I was looking at bluenile, the platinum rings "diamond engagement ring setting (1/4 ct tw) or the princess cut diamond engagement ring setting for larger diamonds (1/2 ct tw.). Thanks for any opinion. I am obviously new to this.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who has a 1.5 RB with two .5 carat pears. I think it looks great, but she wishes the side stones were .4 or maybe smaller so the center stone would pop. As Skippy says, it depends on what look you like.

jddiamond

Rough_Rock
I guess my question is...is 1/4 tcw too small for a 1.5 rb, is 1/2 tcw too small for a 1.5rb. I like whatever looks nice.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, well I don''t have a 3-stone, but I do have a 1.5 carat asscher with two .2 pears on either side that are bezel set between tiny 1 point rounds and the overall feelign is not three-stone at all because the side stones are so small. So I think .25 tcw would look out-of-balance if you''re going for a 3-stone look. .5tcw or larger would probably be more appropriate for a 1.5 carat center.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Questions about side stone sizes seem to be very prevalent recently. Check out this thread HERE for an example of a three stone setting with a 1.5 ct center stone, flanked by two .30ct rounds. I think this look is more engagement-ring like, than anniversary. If you are going for an anniversary look, then maybe consider .50 ct sides.

jddiamond

Rough_Rock
Wow. That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Wow, you''ve been given some great advice and some GREAT links.

I just wanted to add that, for sidestones, you could go VERY small, or you could go quite LARGE, and anything and everything in between. There really is no "right" or "wrong" here... it''s what YOU love. I have seen gorgeous rings in all sizes and styles of 3-stone styles.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a chart with different proportions. Lucky for you the pictures happen to have a 1.5 ct. center stone! (I personally like .5 on each side...so 1.0 ctw)

3 stone ring proportions x.jpg

jddiamond

Rough_Rock
This is perfect. Thanks to all for the advice, pics.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like sidestones that are a tad smaller to make the center stone pop. I think .30 each would be lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results